Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1UZ into Toyota Coaster

Forum Sponsor Carport Converter TurboRA28's Avatar

Default 1UZ into Toyota Coaster

This has been a pretty involved conversion.. My old man has an early Toyota Coaster which he is fitting out as a camper. It originally had a 22r which had little chance of powering it.

So we decided to drop a 1UZ + auto into it.

Picked up a Celsior frontcut from Ichiban for 2k.

Had some fun getting the 22r out, had to jack up the Coaster a good 1 meter. Removed the drivers door and put the crane in through there.

The 1UZ fit with around 10mm clearance on each rail, the headers being the closest. If I removed the heat shields there would be a bit more clearance. We had to cut out the engine bay area as well. The PS pump, oil and trans dip sticks had to be removed to get the engine in place along with the radius rod arms and mounts. Once in place this could all be fitted again.

I used the original 1UZ engine mounts off the block and rubber, and fabricated new mounts to bolt to the chassis rails. This was out of 6mm plate with gussets so should be plently strong.

The Hydro fan was mounted to the original Coaster radiator. 2x oil coolers were mounted in front of the radiator, one for the Auto trans and another for the Hydo fluid. We are going to attempt running no power steer cooler as the massive steering box should act as a bit of a heat sink.

The auto gear shifter was some fun.. We used a SV21 Camry shifter with a custom made 4 meter! shifter cable. This loops behind the box and comes back in to the selector arm from the rear. A mate at work is a maths guru and did some formulas and came out with the shifting point to attach the cable to the arm. Worked perfect, each shift lining up perfect between shifter and box. We fabricated up a frame for the shifter to sit on.

I made a surge tank out of 5mm thick RHS. Welded a top and bottom plate on, tapped some holes for the barb fittings and mounted the pumps to the tank. All ended up a neat functional package. This is mounted just behind the original tank.

The AFM is mounted behind the engine, there is no room in front to get the pipe work around there without covering the PS reservoir etc. A remote reservoir would have helped but anyhow.. So a few mandrel bends and silicone hose got the AFM behind the engine. The original air filter box is used which is behind the passenger headlight. So the pipework goes out through the battery compartment and then joins into the original Coaster air box pipework.

ECU wiring was pretty straight forwarded, took half a day or so to roughly wire it up. Leaving most stuff exposed encase there was any problems. But fired up first turn of the key. Once we take it for a drive and confident there are no electrical problems then i'll clean it up.

I think the covers most of it.. Still waiting on the autobox extension housing to be modified to suit a transmission handbrake as the Coaster originally used. Once that is returned I will make the autobox xmember, get the front half of the 2 piece tailshaft shortened and it should be ready for a test drive.

The old 22R was a freshly rebuilt engine by the previous owner.. As it has it my mate who is a panel beater needed a 22r for his Landcruiser Bundera. So a deal was struck and the engine has been swapped for some Coaster roof painting. It was pretty rusty on the seams which I've cut out and welded new metal in. But needs cleaning up now and painting. So seemed a fair deal.

Cheers
    Joel
    Last edited by TurboRA28; 04-01-2009 at 05:40 PM.
    1977 RA28 Celica - 1MZ-FE Members Rides
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.
    Email : [email protected]

Default Re: 1UZ into Toyota Coaster

1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.

iconoclast Backyard Mechanic Youngy's Avatar

Awesome Joel!!

No chance of getting stuck behind that camper, people will be having fun keeping up!

Least it doesnt snore Backyard Mechanic Gary's Avatar

awesome!

having something like this that'll be able to competently tow a car trailer would be the shit for trackdays
    JZX83
    UCF11

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

i seriously want skid pics once done!

i can see the pain youve had doing the conversion, theres nothing worse then working on vans! (ive done a few motors on mitubishi express vans....taking it all out thriugh the passenger door....not fun at all!)

I wouldn't trust a... Conversion King Smokey228's Avatar

Man, skid pics for the win!

Cheers,
    Jase
    JZA023
    11.51 @ 126MPH | 430RWHP @ 21PSI

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Looks the goods, would be an interesting combo .. Looks like its one tight fit !! ..

Hope you changed the water pump & cam belt before you fitted the motor, i would hate to to do them in situ now ..

Daydream believer 1st year Apprentice CrAiGzEE's Avatar

joel that is great!
    1uzfe powered Ski Boat - In Progress

sx machine 1st year Apprentice

that is wicked! well done.
    Mazda Luce > Getting 1J love
    Datsun 1600 big cam/port race L20B twin webers etc
    "Yeeeees officer that shiney piping is factory"

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

I wonder what it will be like on fuel , I guessing around 20 lt per hunderd.
    what ratio is the diff?
    Dave

Junior Member Carport Converter RdS's Avatar

great conversion there mate. top work!

will be much more drivable, and sound grouse.

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

what an awesome car. Needs tough exhaust + headers.

I have images in my mind of crumpledoors getting left in the dust behind this bus
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Haha thanks all.. yeah its a pretty cool conversion.
    Bit annoyed as we've had the handbrake and gearbox extension housing with someone to adapt the two together now for close to 3 months. Pain in butt as its the only thing holding us up.. I've finished everything else and ready for a test drive.

Got a call the other day saying it wont be possible (even though we'd been told they had done it numerous times before).

So been waiting all this time for nothing...

Now looking into a way to fit the handbrake drum into the centre bearing area.
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

If Jesus were still alive he'd live in this coaster.

I love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

thats nuts.

skid picsorban....please Actually a vid would be much better.
    ST205 Group A Rallye GT-Four 307kw atw @23 psi on 98oct, Now on E85.

1973 TA22