Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to remove the 105kph Chime / Bell / Alarm from z20/a70 soarer/supras

ANGRY MAN 2011 Chief Engine Builder Admiral coFF33's Avatar

Default How to remove the 105kph Chime / Bell / Alarm from z20/a70 soarer/supras

Hey all,

Thought id contribute on these new .net forums a little by giving a short but simple guide to remove the chime that starts ding donging at 105kph in your car

if you have this problem and cant have your stereo as loud as possable whenever you drive this guide is for you

tools: Phillips head Screwdriver
    20 mins spare

when i started , i found the box by looking under my dash with a mirror, it was 1st discribed to me as a small metal box.

what i was looking at the whole time was what i should have unplugged ..

but at the angle it looks odd

so as i took the dash apart (very basic) undo 3 screws on top and the lower bit with the "hazzard light button control" pops off simple, if u cant undo this , sell your car and buy a Excel. i took some pics for future Soarer/Supra owners to see ...

the box is actually EASYer to get to via taking the dash out than going underneith , so props to Big Rob for that info

but here is some pics of where it is

see him there , up the back little metal box thats him

a closer pic reveals the bastard

can you see him yet?

so now , what do i do , Rip this thing out with pliers and tip acid on it whilst also spraying a deodorant can at it with a lighter creating a basic flame thrower.

no .... but i know you'd like to

heres what you do:

take your phillips head screw driver out. and undo this:

see that screw , with the blue wire attached, undo it , take off the wire from the dash and cover the wire with tape, replace the screw then re-install your dash

DONE DIDDALY DONE !!!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic nihilism's Avatar

Default Re: How to remove the 105kph Chime / Bell / Alarm from z20/a70 soarer/supras

hmm.. i've never had a bing-bonger in mine. I might try make a liltle circiut to make it speed adjustable and wire it back in. Don't have cruise control so i speed by accident sometimes.

Official Off Topic KING! Conversion King stradlater's Avatar

Default Re: How to remove the 105kph Chime / Bell / Alarm from z20/a70 soarer/supras

You could always go slower mate?
    ;-)
    Facebook | LinkedIn

1976 RA23 Celica - 1UZFTE ???rwkw - Earlier: 11.6 @ 116.9mph But Now: ??
    2014 Aston Martin V12 Vantage S Coupe - 421kW 0-100 3.1.....
    2005 Mercedes Benz SLK 350 - 200kW...

Junior Member Domestic Engineer NeoNasty's Avatar

BAH! Half the roads in the countery are 110Kph, I dont think I could stand 3 hours of Bing bing bing all the way up to Echuca.

Guess lucky I have a celica... mmMMmmm no comfort!...
    HZJ75, RS41, JZZ30

Official Off Topic KING! Conversion King stradlater's Avatar

true enough, true enough.
    Facebook | LinkedIn

1976 RA23 Celica - 1UZFTE ???rwkw - Earlier: 11.6 @ 116.9mph But Now: ??
    2014 Aston Martin V12 Vantage S Coupe - 421kW 0-100 3.1.....
    2005 Mercedes Benz SLK 350 - 200kW...

ToyotaCarClub.net Domestic Engineer Starfire's Avatar

Both my AW11s had those things. They are in pretty much the same spot on the '2 as well.

They are cool in a JDM initial D wanky kind of way but if youve ever had to listen to one for more than 10 minutes it's enough to drive you crazy. They have to go...
    1987 AW11 MR2 Supercharger (4AGZE)
    1974 TA22 Celica (2TG bored and stroked)

Thanks to James Cameron's Terminator films, we know that robots are stronger, faster, tougher and more Austrian than the rest of us.

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

That thing drove me INSANE. I tore my dash apart half way thru a 5 hour drive one day because it was driving me off the wall. Never found it, endured about 8000km of country driving over 12 months, finally paid an auto sparky to find it. $25. Boy was I pissed. All that pain and agony, and $25 later it was gone. Bastard.

RM.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic nihilism's Avatar

heh.. nah definately wouldn't leave it there fixed on 105km/h

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

my mate had one on his starlet gt, and we drove it bak from sydney to coffs, and im pretty sure it was goin of at 95kmh, biggest pain in arse eva, but maybe the speedo was out or something,
    nice clear and concise info mate well done

thanks for the bit of rep guys...

though, the best feeling of posting this , is when the years pass buy and someone else buys a soarer/supra and asks the question, and Cruz or JCMF or Blacksupra or SOMEONE goes ... "JUST SEARCH FOR "chime" in the tech area, i think coFF33 did a write up on it"

that will make my day

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

its so we can internet YELL at noobies to search cos we know its there is wat your saying

exacatly

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

if it were mine, i would have removed the goddamn-dinging box and given it some serious loving with my 5lb, steel-handle hammer.

then for good measure, attacked the car with a blow-up hammer for having such a stupid speed warning device in the first place:

ToyotaCarClub.net Domestic Engineer Starfire's Avatar

A short term solution to the dinger from hell is to take the roof off (where appropriate) roll down the windows and turn the stereo up as far as it goes...

Still didnt beat the satisfaction of pulling the little bastard thing out
    1987 AW11 MR2 Supercharger (4AGZE)
    1974 TA22 Celica (2TG bored and stroked)

Thanks to James Cameron's Terminator films, we know that robots are stronger, faster, tougher and more Austrian than the rest of us.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Big rob's Avatar

Yeah i wouldnt recomend the under the dash way. We just had no idea how to undo the dash, where all the screws were etc. If you go under the dash, be prepared to feel some pain when trying to remove that screw. Nd then some more pain when taping the wire. Ans then some more pain when putting the screw back!

But it didnt really matter to me as my mate did it due to the fact i have big hands lol.