Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on sleeve coilover kits (MA61)

80's Style'n Backyard Mechanic VA61DETT's Avatar

Default Thoughts on sleeve coilover kits (MA61)

Hi All,

I am in the process of doing some research on a set of coilover sleeves for my MA61 front struts.
    I already have a set of the SW20 Koni Yellows & a spare pair of uprights to modify as required.

I am just after a few opinions on where to get hold of the sleeve kits.
    So far I have 4 options available, with some pros & cons, as follows:

1. XYZ E-bay kit of 300XZ or something of the sort, No idea of spring rate, or sleeve ID, but cheep ~200bux (probably shite quality)
    2. Import bitz do a set, but have no specs on springs available or tube I.D. Kind-of expensive ~300 bux w/o springs
    3. Wilkinson’s suspension do a set of Koni tubes & springs at any size / rate for around 500 bux
    4. Paradise Racing do a nice looking set, but I am still waiting on a reply about the tube I.D. Springs at any rate for about 300AUD including shipping, which sounds like the best deal!

Has any one had experience with the Paradise Racing coilover kits?
    http://paradiseracing.com/Products/frontcoil.jpg
    The only thing I didn’t like about them was the retaining system look a little feeble with just a grub screw gouging into the soft ally thread (I rather the double lock ring option personally)

I am looking at going 550lb front & 350 – 450lb Rear
    Will be using it almost exclusively for track & hill climb events.

Thanks for the input
    -A

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Alex's Avatar

Default Re: Thoughts on sleeve coilover kits (MA61)

I've been thinking about a sleeve kit for a while also and these kits seem to be the best quality i've read up on and you can chose you spring rates, they use eibach springs too! , the only bad thing is atm is the exchange rate and shipping.

http://www.ground-control-store.com/...gory.php/CA=18
    Quote Originally Posted by TooF View Post
    ha feburary!!! i im aiming for skids oclock in december.
    MY 87 ADM AW11 mr2. Now with previa sc14! http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39380

Nice..... Grease Monkey Rex_Kelway's Avatar

Rex has about 100 pairs of custom coilovers under his belt and has seen a few different types in his time.

The worst of these were a D2 coilover conversion set that a customer was adament He wanted to use. To put it simply they are ill-designed and just plain garbage. Avoid at all cost!!!

The sleeve and perch kits from Noltec and Koni are all quite similar, Rex has used many sets of both kits. Koni's big advantage seems that you can order the kits for most common Sleve ID's and spring ID's.

Recently though Rex's been using locally made sleve kits. They are far superior in terms of fit and finish. The threaded section of the aluminium in contact with the sleeve is far more substantial. They also use the common perch and locking ring arangement instead of the silly split-ring/grub-screw.

IRHO these mentioned above are also superior to the paradise kits mentioned.

Spring wise, if you have oddball requirments get them custom made. Which is no more expensive. Most spring manufacturers will have some common sizes and rates on the shelf. These will all be rate tested as part of quality control...

So at the end of this, If you use Rex's recommended sleeve kits and new springs to your specs, average joe can expect to pay about $550 for the all the hardware needed.

With coilovers too, a large portion is the skill/experience/knowledge of the person making them.

Rex
    Rex Kelway Sucks - Fabrication thread

Rex Kelway - ABN: 41 267 379 001
    Fabrication, Manifolds and CAMS spec Roll-cages in SA...

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

what does Rex think about steel weld on sleeves, vs alloy and having a ring welded on to hold it up?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic TA22 1MZ's Avatar

pedders do a very nice steel sleeve with lock rings, top hat and c spanner for $130.
    just need to source your own springs or they can also help you out, just not sure on cost.
    They are a very tight fit and a solid design.

Thanks for the info Guys

However I'me not sure who or what Rex is?
    Have you got any links / contact info / pics?

Cheers.
    -A

Awesome ****** Domestic Engineer Javal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway
    Rex has about 100 pairs of custom coilovers under his belt and has seen a few different types in his time.

The worst of these were a D2 coilover conversion set that a customer was adament He wanted to use. To put it simply they are ill-designed and just plain garbage. Avoid at all cost!!!

The sleeve and perch kits from Noltec and Koni are all quite similar, Rex has used many sets of both kits. Koni's big advantage seems that you can order the kits for most common Sleve ID's and spring ID's.

Recently though Rex's been using locally made sleve kits. They are far superior in terms of fit and finish. The threaded section of the aluminium in contact with the sleeve is far more substantial. They also use the common perch and locking ring arangement instead of the silly split-ring/grub-screw.

IRHO these mentioned above are also superior to the paradise kits mentioned.

Spring wise, if you have oddball requirments get them custom made. Which is no more expensive. Most spring manufacturers will have some common sizes and rates on the shelf. These will all be rate tested as part of quality control...

So at the end of this, If you use Rex's recommended sleeve kits and new springs to your specs, average joe can expect to pay about $550 for the all the hardware needed.

With coilovers too, a large portion is the skill/experience/knowledge of the person making them.

Rex
    I have personally sampled rex's work, and will vouch for his knowledge on the issue. His word is near gospel.

Also, 'IRHO"? i just fucking lost my shit
    The 18R-G. The GOOD 2 Litre Tractor motor.

Zub Zub Domestic Engineer Gavatron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VA61DETT
    Thanks for the info Guys

However I'me not sure who or what Rex is?
    Have you got any links / contact info / pics?

Cheers.
    -A
    'Rex' is the person posting.

I may have commission 'Rex' in the near future to coilover my MA61 struts. Is 'He' able to supply aforementioned sleeve kits?
    || 91 MX83 Cressida Grande 1JZGTE - Daily || 84 MA61 Supra 2JZGE - Track ||

NICE VIBE Backyard Mechanic marvis's Avatar

nm

marvis.
    Last edited by marvis; 20-09-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Righty O,

Was just a little confusing to me.
    Rex was talking in the 3rd person

Anyway, thanks for the input fellas!

And yes, in hindsight s13 conversion would have been a much better option, but I already had the 5stud hubs & made all the brake conversion gear a while back.

-A

Zub Zub Domestic Engineer Gavatron's Avatar

'He' always talks in the 3rd person
    || 91 MX83 Cressida Grande 1JZGTE - Daily || 84 MA61 Supra 2JZGE - Track ||

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Dimitri's Avatar

i sell those

theyre steel weld on type obviously. theyre to suit 2.25" springs, which i also sell.

$235 for the kit. $170 for the springs.

i keep the sleeves in stock usually, and few of the more common (to my market) spring rates.

can do the fitting too if you need. compared to say a "koni" kit, which john used to sell, there are good points and bad.

2.25" springs is a little bit of an odd size. but its close enough to 60mm, which you can buy anywhere. i prefer the look of the smaller springs though, compared to the common 63/65, and for guys who like to run a more + offset, the lower profile is an advantage.

the top hat design on mine is better, gives more clearance if you choose to run adjustable camber tops.

on the konis, at the bottom, there is an "un threaded" section. mine dont have that. just means you have to be a tiny bit more careful with your welds to make a neat job.

having said all that, theyre A LOT cheaper too so..
    Last edited by Dimitri; 17-12-2008 at 08:28 PM.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

they look fairly substantial
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Dimitri - I like!

I rather like the idea of steel sleves, tough & easy enough to weld on.
    I have a set of s13 camber tops, so sounds like a good match.

What spring rates you got?
    Do they come with the 'C' spanner thingos for adjustment?

Cheers
    -A

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Dimitri's Avatar

i dont keep the spanners. but can get them. would take me a week.

i dont usually keep the rates youre chasing but..

i have some 7" free height 500lbs spare.. and some 550's in the same height which should be in this week

the 550s are for a mate.. but.. he can possibly wait another week. he has the 500s right now, just to set up with.. but he hasnt even started on the car yet so im pretty sure you could take your pick.

re steel v al'. ive used both. either can work for sure, but steel makes for a nicer strut. these are quite thin wall tubes, and use small i.d springs, so over all the weight difference wouldnt be much.

pm me when youre keen and we'll sort them out if its the way you decide you wanna go