Thread: 74 Hilux, RN27.. brakes and the like..

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 74 Hilux, RN27.. brakes and the like..

Hey guys..

Im hoping someone here has info, thought, to be honest I don't know if you guys even got this vehicle?

I've just picked up an RN27, 74 Hilux longbox pickup.. 18RC, 4 wheel drum brakes..

Im not finding much info, North America-side, on mod'ing these.. and then thought "who trieds to modify anything with 4 wheels? Toymods!" ..

I'd really like to go disc in the front.. and will, at some point, swap my built 20/22R hybrid from my '75 Celica into it.. but I dont know what's involved in an 18R/22R swap in a truck..

So.. I guess, point of the message:

Did you guys get these? If so, anyone have experience upgrading brakes to disc fronts? Anyone dropped a 20/22R in place of the 18R?

cheers,

Brett from Canada

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

Default Re: 74 Hilux, RN27.. brakes and the like..

The only thing RN27's get used for arond these parts are as diff donors as they have the narrowest G series made. I haven't seen anyone wanting to work one but maybe if you had a look at some of the modified Stout Lites around the bits they used might interchange.

Those diffs go well under early celica's with a bunch of power up front .

-------ALL.44U------- Domestic Engineer old_school_jap1's Avatar

there are a couple of us early hilux fans around. i've got a few rn2_s and am building an rn16. here's the thread you want; http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37685 . it's the same conversion for a rn27 as far as i know. that is if you got rn40s over there with disks. for the 22r in place of 18r info, there should be plenty on sites like 1stgencelica.com
    RN16 Hilux; 18RG swap underway http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40561

Quote Originally Posted by ae71 View Post
    but im trying to use bolts with this car.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Ah heck Josh.. so I not only bought a project.. but a potential parts car for my Celicas? yeah.. 'cause thats what I needed.. MORE excuses to keep it

thanks for the link OSJ.. I'll start keeping my eyes on the boneyards for RN40 trucks..

cheers,

Brett