Thread: Ring and Pinion Whining! Fact or Fiction

Default Ring and Pinion Whining! Fact or Fiction

Hi everyone! This will be my first post in this forum, first of many, I hope.

My name is André Pardal, I'm 27, and I'm from Portugal (Europe).

I'm the owner of an '87 AE86 that you can see in this project thread:

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=5102

My first tech question is related to 4.778 RP whining. I've installed half a dozen ring and pinion / differentials, and almost all of them eventually start whining.

I do everything by the book except for the ink use to check ring to pinion contact, which has to be adjusted with the washer that goes between the pinion and its first bearing. As this was a time consuming check, and I've always thought I would eventually damage the pinion bearing everytime I needed to remove it, I never gave it too much thought.

Anyways, my 4.778 ring and pinion are now damaged, and I don't believe I can install them again and shut them up, or should I?

What about race used ring and pinions? Will they all whine no matter how good they're installed? What are your thoughts?

Best regards

André Pardal

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Default Re: Ring and Pinion Whining! Fact or Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by apardal
    I do everything by the book except for the ink use to check ring to pinion contact, which has to be adjusted with the washer that goes between the pinion and its first bearing. As this was a time consuming check, and I've always thought I would eventually damage the pinion bearing everytime I needed to remove it, I never gave it too much thought.

Best regards

André Pardal
    Welcome!

A trick to save pressing the bearings on/off all the time is to buy another set of pinion bearings and linish out the inside of one set of bearings until they just fit without pressing! (Linish with a power file or similar, or small sandpaper wheel etc)

You can then used the linished bearings as the dummy assembly bearings and not have to worry about pressing them on/off

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Wilbo's Wiki (Includes 2JZ-GTE Wiring, etc! )

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

Thank you wilbo, that's a clever thought although I'm not sure how close can two of the same bearings be, in terms of thickness. We're talking about little differences between the washer's thickness, I think. Are the bearing sizes that accurate so that I won't get differences between the dummy and the actual one?

Last time I removed a new bearing, I hammered it down. I have a press available, but I can't get enough room/surface on the bearing to press it down.

Using a press won't harm the bearing as much. I wouldn't mind using it, but I can't... Any recommendations?

Best regards

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Make a bearing plate which will go behind the bearing for pressing it off. It will take time to make, but is worth it in the long run. Get some steel from a steel shop's scrap bin, or a fabrication place's scrap bin, and make it out of that for cheapness.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.