Thread: 12R intermittent fault??

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default 12R intermittent fault??

I'm a bit confused atm, I have a stock RN20 w original 12R engine that seems to having a weird fuel problem.

It starts with no problems and drives normally almost all of the time,

then, and it doesn't matter if its hot or cold the whole car starts shuddering, like a clutch that isn't properly engaged then it looses all power.

The engine still runs but any attempt to accelerate just kills the engine. Choke fixes this up and you can use the lower gears with the choke fully closed to "fix" the problem and back it off as you gain speed to be able to drive sort of normally.

Basically this will continue untill you stop the car and let it cool down. Have never had this happen on starting but has occured within 2mins of driving before the engine would have been warm.

I'm not sure whats goin on, I guess its either something mechanically wrong w carby or intermittent blockage in fuel lines.

Also, I guess points could be the culprit but in my exp that usually causes s#$%^y idle and crap acceleration. Could points be resp for this prob also??

Any help would be good, as I can't see any probs lookin at the carb there's nothing obvious and most of the time there's no prob whatsoeva...

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: 12R intermittent fault??

have sorted prob, it was fuel, bit o crud in jet, big thx to Cade the workplace mech