Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 3VZ-FE into st184 5th gen celica.... now running....yippeee

always looking like a Grease Monkey fibrewizard's Avatar

Talking 3VZ-FE into st184 5th gen celica.... now running....yippeee

hi all currently swapping a 3vz-fe into my 5th gen 184 celica will post more when i get a chance to take some more pics.......

currently stripped 96 camry front cut, got motor out and am re-conditioning motor,

if anyone has any questions or ideas please,...... don't be shy........

i am not after posts bagging or dissing if not your thing then move on............
    but for those that are interested in seeing how this goes keep checking and post away............

cheers.........
    Last edited by fibrewizard; 19-07-2009 at 06:35 PM.
    2012 GT86
    V6 powered 5th gen celica. Sadly moved on to build below
    91 st185 aus delivered, V6 turb project,
    2015 Kun26r hilux

now with 7m powaz Automotive Encyclopaedia hosking1991's Avatar

Default Re: engine swap......3VZ-FE into st184 5th gen celica

camry v6's are awesome my sisters camry goes faster then any other v6 commodores ive driven

nice project

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

The more pics the better
    Dissers will be deleted.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

ok to start this off is some pics of my 184 and a list of mods already done so hope you enjoy...........

front TRUST style front bar
    17x8" Osaka G6 rims
    nexen 3000 215/45/17 front
    neuton 225/45/17 rear
    kenwood double din in dash dvd player
    6.5" blaupunkt splits up front
    clarion 6" 3-ways in rear stock position
    1x360w alpine 4 channel amp
    1x175w jvc 2 channel amp
    playstation 2
    2 x headrest monitors
    2 x10" MTX 5500 900w woofers in custom enclosure.
    cat back 2.5" with twin 2.5" tipped cannons

future mods:-
    finish body kit...... the rest of the kit will be custom as the front bar has no matching sideskirts or rear bar so i will be making the rest of the kit myself...........

new paint.... looking at the ford XR5 orange, or a candy brandy wine... i am yet to decide......

suspension..... more then likely aribag struts as i want the car to be low but still be comfortable and practical as i drive it daily.......

full house fibreglass interior for purpose of harder wearing as i got too young kids that are trashing the fabric interior..... that and it looks wicked..........

current project.....

currently starting a 3VZ-FE conversion, mainly to give me more power with factory engine reliability and fuel economy,,,, that will be later thrown out the window as i also plan to turbo charge later down the track.......

i am taking this out................

and putting this in..................

more detailed write ups to come with this conversion as work gets done..................
    i hope you all enjoy the journey with me.............Grant
    2012 GT86
    2015 Kun26r hilux

22/11/08

i put my 184 springs and strut top onto the camry strut to allow for the camry CV's, hubs and calipers to be used.......
    now i will need custom springs made to fit into strut as 184 springs are not wide enough to safely fit.... as you can see in pics........

P.S. check out the hammer i smashed up getting the hubs off the halfcut.... clean snapped the head off the hammer.............bunnings cheapy.....but still
    2012 GT86
    2015 Kun26r hilux

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

I heartily endorse this event or product.

Slanted Photographer Automotive Encyclopaedia LeaThaL's Avatar

im with norbie, i wanted to do this to my celica when the 5s thew the big end but ended up goin N/A 3s-gte :S lol

someone on here put a 3vz-fe into a 3s-ge powered mr2 and altho its MR not FR, there cant me that much shit different so if need help look him up but either way, V6 cilly would be a massive weapon, good for killing ricers
    1 G L O V E
    88 Ga70 supra --- Under powered and over cooled Daily

well let me spell out what i know so far...........

gearbox........5sfe manual gearbox
    3vz-fe manual gearbox.......damn near identicle.....same mounts either side and bolt pattern on top for it to bolt straight in to the 5s mount.............
    will show pics of these once i pull the 5sfe motor and box out.........

engine......... will need to modify stock 5sfe front (as in strut tower side) engine mount as this is the only mount that does not line up cause this mount in the camry is a torsion resistant....so as far as motor and box is concerned it is a straight in affair.........simple enough...................

originally planned to use the 5sfe gearbox on the 3vz-fe as bolt pattern is is the same.....
    this would have allowed for a straight swap with only 1 engine mount and ecu mods......

tooo easy... and instantly close to double hp.............

however i was informed by rta that i need to use 3vzfe gearbox, hubs and upgraded brakes...(brakes i was gonna do anyway)........

so this posed a big problem now i need to mod most suspension bits to fit the camry hubs and driveshafts........ which is definately possible and will be done just need to figure out a plan of attack.... which is where i am at now with needing custom springs.....driveshafts i am still gathering info on...............

however once completed and all running well i will then look at turbo setup but for now i really just want to get it in and running as i still drive the car everyday...............

i have read alot of mr2 posts about their 3vz and 1mz conversions and to me the theory is the same however they have better interchangable parts that they can source in regards to bigger brakes and driveshafts and gearbox is better out of the box............so i don't think many of them are using the camry gearbox............... this i will be going alone........ an uncharted part of a conversion however i think that it makes it more appealing both to me and others to see something so different working and making sense..............as my reasoning for this conversion was that the camry came stock with the 5sfe as did my 184 so theoretically the 3vz-fe is like the V6 that should have went into the celica models but didn't as everything is so interchangable........ if i had a 185 i wouldn't have to change my gearbox so theres a thought................... 3vz-fe alltrac......now that would haul ass
    2012 GT86
    2015 Kun26r hilux

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

looking forward to more pics and the finished product.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

spring problem solved..............

camry front springs are about 1-2 inches longer then stock 184 springs and the top of both springs are identicle in diameter...so with this in mind i believe.super low camry front springs will give me.....

spring rating to handle the weight of the V6, and about a 2 inch drop on standard celica ride height... so the rear will need a 2 inch drop celica spring as wel............

this will allow for a good soild front suspension setup and good all round level ride height...

pics will come as i put more time into it as the car is at a mates place about 1 3/4 hrs from mine.. and thats where it is all happening.........

the only other drama i can foresee at present is if wheel base of both cars are different as the cv's will then be either too long or too short....................

so i power on hopefully sometime in january as i still need to drive with 2.2ltr till then...........stay tuned........more to come...........
    2012 GT86
    2015 Kun26r hilux

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fibrewizard
    however i was informed by rta that i need to use 3vzfe gearbox, hubs and upgraded brakes...(brakes i was gonna do anyway)........
    Oh? Have you spoken to an engineer? What a dude at the RTA says shouldn't be taken as gospel - they will be covering their ass and will always tell you more requirements than strictly "needed". The engineer that will be signing off on the project, however, will tell you what he needs to see to sign off on it. If the 5S box bolts up to the V6, I'd be confident that most engineers would pass it, but you'd need to confirm that with a specific engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by fibrewizard
    if i had a 185 i wouldn't have to change my gearbox so theres a thought................... 3vz-fe alltrac......now that would haul ass
    While it would be an awesome project, I highly doubt you would fit the V6 with the transfer case without block mods.. It's an extremely tight fit with the 3S, let alone something that hangs out wider... (If you have examples of someone doing it, please post links ).

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Mos
    Oh? Have you spoken to an engineer? What a dude at the RTA says shouldn't be taken as gospel - they will be covering their ass and will always tell you more requirements than strictly "needed". The engineer that will be signing off on the project, however, will tell you what he needs to see to sign off on it. If the 5S box bolts up to the V6, I'd be confident that most engineers would pass it, but you'd need to confirm that with a specific engineer.

While it would be an awesome project, I highly doubt you would fit the V6 with the transfer case without block mods.. It's an extremely tight fit with the 3S, let alone something that hangs out wider... (If you have examples of someone doing it, please post links ).

Mos.

thanks will do cause i think iwas gonna have major drama's with camry cv's camry track is 85 mm longer wider the celica..... but i will do for sure..............

lad in the states is running a twin turbo setup on his and no dramas so far................

using 5s gearbox would save me so much in the way of headaches and custom bits......
    2012 GT86
    2015 Kun26r hilux

ok well if i was to use camry gearbox like the rta lad told me..............i would have major dramas with cv's as the cv's in the camry are 85mm longer then the celica's.... so customs it would have been.....................

however i spoke to a local engineer and all he wants to see to pass it is..........

slotted rotors......heavier duty springs to cope with the little bit of extra weight from the V6..

and (not necassary but would be good) use camry master cylinder if it fits my celica brake booster.......

so this conversion will be pretty much drop in and make one mount...........

so stoked as i spent the last few days ringing everyone i could find to make cv's, springs, and all the other bits that i was going to need to do.............. so needless to say very happy and who knows i might have enough cash left over to turbo the sucker..................

cost to me so far...........

$550 for front cut
    $119 for car trailer to get front cut down the coast to a mates place..........

projected cost..........

600-800 for ecu wiring (if a can't do it myself)
    400 for new springs
    300-400 for new slotted rotors
    600 for engineering

so as long as their are no unexpected hiccups or oversights........

3vzfe should be in and running at around.....1900 - 2100..... cheaper if i can wire up myself....but the others are necessaties for engineering.........................

so for less then the what it would cost to buy a 3sgte alone i have got just as much power and it is installed and running................(this figure could blow out depending on circumstances however definately do-able at this price.....definately...........

More updates as they happen...............
    Last edited by fibrewizard; 26-11-2008 at 03:18 PM. Reason: projected cost............
    2012 GT86
    2015 Kun26r hilux

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

watch as the v6 chews through the 4 banger box

3sgte box maybe (same thing as the v6 box)?

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

What about

• engine oil
    • gbox oil
    • power steering oil
    • oil filter
    • plugs
    • leads
    • seals
    • timing belt
    • water pump
    • idler bearings
    • aircon hoses
    • aircon gasing
    • radiator hoses
    • heater hoses
    • coolant
    • distilled water
    • flywheel
    • clutch
    • spigot bearing
    • dizzy cap
    • rotor
    • brake fluid
    • new pads
    • random engine hoses
    • air filter
    • power steering lines
    • thermostat
    • thermostat o-ring/gasket
    • waterpump/alt belt
    • power steering belt
    • aircon belt
    • wheel alignment
    • fuel pump
    • hose clamps
    • injector cleaning
    • degreaser
    • throttle body cleaner
    • gasket goo

Sure, some of the above may not apply, but *most* will IF you intend to do a PROPER job.
    And there is probably well over $2000 in the above list.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS