Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 3VZ-FE into st184 5th gen celica.... now running....yippeee

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

Default Re: engine swap......3VZ-FE into st184 5th gen celica

Quote Originally Posted by Mos
    While it would be an awesome project, I highly doubt you would fit the V6 with the transfer case without block mods.. It's an extremely tight fit with the 3S, let alone something that hangs out wider... (If you have examples of someone doing it, please post links ).

Mos.
    Here's a thread for a ST185 3VZ-FE conversion to get you going Mos http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthread.php?t=12879.

Requires registration.

always looking like a Grease Monkey fibrewizard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    What about

• engine oil...................... got heaps already
    • gbox oil........................don't need to change as it was done like 1500 km ago
    • power steering oil..........already got, not apart of cost in conversion as purchased ages ago
    • oil filter.........................will be doing.......................$15
    • plugs...........................look clean and good..........
    • leads...........................can do them later
    • seals...........................cam covers needs doing.......
    • timing belt................... is in excellent condition
    • water pump...................unsure if this needs doing..........should probably do any way
    • idler bearings.................in good condition
    • aircon hoses................. N/A
    • aircon gasing.................N/A
    • radiator hoses................ using 3vz radiator so no changes to hosing
    • heater hoses..................need to do
    • coolant.......................i have always got coolant on hand
    • distilled water..............???????
    • flywheel......................using camry \_____
    • clutch........................ using exedy H/D already in my celica / been proven that this combo works fine and up to 10psi of boost.............
    • spigot bearing............. not needed
    • dizzy cap................... why????? unless this items brake down why change
    • rotor...........................why????? unless this items brake down why change
    • brake fluid................... i keep on hand
    • new pads.................... will be getting
    • random engine hoses... usre at this point as to which ones will be needed.....
    • air filter.........................$20
    • power steering lines....... stock 184 pump as far as i know bolts to 3vz block.....might through me out though
    • thermostat....................thanks did not think of this
    • thermostat o-ring/gasket.........
    • waterpump/alt belt..........getting
    • power steering belt.........getting
    • aircon belt..............N/A
    • wheel alignment......$30
    • fuel pump................ stock pump will hold untill i boost this has been proven
    • hose clamps........... got plenty laying around
    • injector cleaning...... need to get
    • degreaser...............$20 for a box on my mate bunnings discount card
    • throttle body cleaner......need to inspect yet
    • gasket goo.................already got

Sure, some of the above may not apply, but *most* will IF you intend to do a PROPER job.
    And there is probably well over $2000 in the above list.

was quoted by a sponsor of a forum that( not this one)

complete gasket and seal kit, timing belt kit and other engine belts, and water pump...$580....add some hoses and some fluids to this total and a thermostat........

hey why not spend $4500 on complete engine re-build............. yeah maybe if i had the cash and my mechanic and i felt that it needed it............ currently.... motor looks great.......compression test will tell me how other bits are fairing..........also while compression testing gonna test oil pressure as well.................

and thanks for the reminder of things i missed.......been so hectic lately
    2012 GT86
    V6 powered 5th gen celica. Sadly moved on to build below
    91 st185 aus delivered, V6 turb project,
    2015 Kun26r hilux

will update when progress is made...........

keep askin and checkin in.............

hopefully heaps more pics next time
    Last edited by fibrewizard; 28-11-2008 at 01:00 PM.
    2012 GT86
    2015 Kun26r hilux

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

I think if you want to read the thread you need to register. When I sign out the thread is no longer readable.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

It was just a list of the things I've done of my past conversions. Things like rotors/caps/leads/plugs/timing belt/waterpump/etc/etc may not need to be replaced now, but if you intend on keeping the car for a couple of years, they will need replacing at some stage.

Personally I've gotten into the habit of replacing pretty much everything before putting the motor in the car. That way I know for the next few years the only things I should have to replace are the engine oil and filter.
    Besides unexpected breakages (ps rack started leaking, etc) the last couple of cars I've had I've done nothing but minor services for the last few years.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    It was just a list of the things I've done of my past conversions. Things like rotors/caps/leads/plugs/timing belt/waterpump/etc/etc may not need to be replaced now, but if you intend on keeping the car for a couple of years, they will need replacing at some stage.

Personally I've gotten into the habit of replacing pretty much everything before putting the motor in the car. That way I know for the next few years the only things I should have to replace are the engine oil and filter.
    Besides unexpected breakages (ps rack started leaking, etc) the last couple of cars I've had I've done nothing but minor services for the last few years.

i know exaclty what ya mean.. the first thing i did when i bought the halfcut was organise all the bits and peices that i would need eg gasket, seals timing belt....etc...etc....

but after getting the motor out and going over it and checking it out it doesn't look too bad....it had some number sticker on the cluster like an id tag maybe so my thought is that this is either a ex-fleet car or that was a id number for auctions.........don't know......

i need to spend some cash on car at the moment anyhow.... unrelated to conversion such as steering rack, springs, CV's all need to be done now anyway so will be doing that in the meantime. brakes will more then likely be the first thing as they can simply just bolt on.......
    2012 GT86
    2015 Kun26r hilux

Zub Zub Domestic Engineer Gavatron's Avatar

I'd be doing a full timing belt kit (tensioner, idlers), cam seals, oil pumps seal and water pump (driven by timing belt). These are all common failure points on 3VZ motors and are much harder to do in the car.
    || 91 MX83 Cressida Grande 1JZGTE - Daily || 84 MA61 Supra 2JZGE - Track ||

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Also head gaskets failures are common on 3 VZ,s, I would re ring it and reseal the entire engine with a full gasket kit.
    Dave

Zub Zub Domestic Engineer Gavatron's Avatar

That too. Much better while it's out too. They usually have corrosion around the cylinders on the block where the gaskets bite in. If you do it while it's out it's easy to get the block decked.

I work on these things day in and day out, and everything is much harder to do in the Camry bay. And Celica bays are smaller, so it would be much more of a PITA. Do everything you can while it's out of the bay.
    || 91 MX83 Cressida Grande 1JZGTE - Daily || 84 MA61 Supra 2JZGE - Track ||

i totally see your points ..it is worthwile doing all this.............

and as i mentioned before...(don't know if ya actually read it).............

was that things look good....................

i really don't see the point in cracking the seal on head gaskets if there is nothing wrong....i would then be tossing perfectly good gaskets out the window and wasting money...........replacing things that don't need to be replaced.............a compression test will tell me if i need to pull heads off or not.............

i am well aware of the cons involved with these motors.......and i thank you all for your concerns................and advice........

i usderstand that replaceing things will give me piece of mind......... for example....water pump.....how am i to know if it has been done at all in the life of the motor..................then on the other hand.....how do i know if it was done 10km ago........get my drift........ i dont have the cash to be buying things that don't need to be bought...................
    2012 GT86
    2015 Kun26r hilux

new bonnet and carbon fibre wing..............

Rice warning

2012 GT86
    2015 Kun26r hilux

Junior Member Grease Monkey

For what it's worth, if you don't know the condition of a motor all I do is replace the front and rear oil seal before fitting (as there is nothing worse than an engine that leaks oil).
    The rest you wait till something happens. Have done that with two swaps now and that is all the parts cost necessary.

My 1JZ had over 100k on it when I installed it as a "trial" engine thinking it would do to sort everything out and then I would replace it. Since then I have done another 50k and still nothing has needed replacing. I do have a fresh spare engine ready but it just takes up space on the garage.

Yes, it would be nice to freshen up your engine before fitting but that takes time and money.
    Graham D
    Lexus RX350 (no mods yet !!!)
    Lexus IS200 / 2.5GT-T (1JZGTE VVTi + Getrag 6 Speed)
    Lexus IS200 (wife's car and no mods allowed !!!)
    Suzuki GSX750-F

Don Mega Chief Engine Builder X kyle X's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fibrewizard
    .... i dont have the cash to be buying things that don't need to be bought...................

you just bought a ricetastic wing and bonnet.....

i believe that is cash wastage on things that deff dont need to be bought.....

i would much rather put the money into the motor to make it super reliable, and blow away unsuspecting ricers, then to become a unsuspecting ricer and get blow away by a charade cos your motor dies, due to buying said wing and bonnet instead of gaskets
    The GOD HAND AW11 - sold

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...ight=kyle+AW11

AIDS infestation - HCR32 Skyline - the jesus foot?

bonnet and wing were not paid for from my pocket............xmas present if ya must know...............

any cash left over will be used to FIX THE THINGS THAT NEED TO BE FIXED..........not un-needed items.......and as this will be the proof to finding a good/bad donor engine.. and that not all things need to be done before hand...........

however i had planned to strip and re-build motor... but i know just want to get it in.....with minimum spending that is not absolutely needed..................

surely you can understand............
    2012 GT86
    2015 Kun26r hilux

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

So if you guys were to buy a camry with 150kkms or even 200kkms, would you rebuild the engine / change head gaskets just to be sure? or wait till it actually needs it?

I've only ever done one 100kkm service on an engine I installed and that was only because I won't be able to get another one if the timing belt snaps and the valves get smashed to oblivion - all other engines, if the timing belt snaps, that's when I replace it.

Some stuff is easy (and cheap) but others are not that needed - I replaced all the bearings on the timing belt on my 1UZ, but even Ed reused the existing ones, on a super duper built engine. The individual must weigh up the pros and cons themselves - quit the hassling.

It's all nice to talk about theory, but how about people talking about practice?

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)