Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Soarer GZ20 Drift Project 1410kgs !!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic cptsideways's Avatar

Default Soarer GZ20 Drift Project 1410kgs !!

I put my drift project GZ20 1G-GTE L soarer on the weighbridge today, despite it going on a MAJOR diet over the past few weeks. Weight Including me at 85kgs, one original drivers seat, interior completely stripped, doors innards cut away, bumper metalwork removed, tems gone, etc etc. 1/4 of a tank of fuel.

1410kg's

Whats the lightest someone's gotten their GZ20 down to?? I reckon theres still another 200kgs to go from the bonnet, rear bumper bootlid, fuel tank boot area etc but not much else

PS the aircon is still there as I'll be using the car for Demo events throughout the year.

Is 1200kg possible?

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

Default Re: Soarer GZ20 Drift Project 1410kgs !!

so its really about 1325 without you thats not too bad

Junior Member Domestic Engineer 1200det's Avatar

Im unsure of anywhere to locate a fibreglass bonnet here in OZ although there is a board member who has produced some front RH and LH fibreglass flared fenders which would save some Kgs they were around $450 a pair for memory.

MR_1JZ would be the man to talk to regarding weight reduction on the Z20 soarers , his was basically stripped with the stereo remaining and thats about it.

1200Kgs would be a feat and very hard to reach

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Muahahhaahhaha.
    UZZ10 Soarer, 1210kg no people, no fuel.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Party Animal Supreme Too Much Toyota MR 1JZ's Avatar

1200kg is achievable I reckon, but you have too look at what youre going to put back with things like a rollcage, big turbo, etc etc.

Firstly, fuck off the drivers seat, theres 10KG there, the drivers seat feels like its at least 20kg, a good fibreglass backed seat with rails shouldnt be more than 10KG, switching to coilovers will save wieght as they are generally alloy and not steel like conventional struts, have you done the sound deadener? I did it in my soarer and it came to around 45-50kg and that was just the deadener, there is a guy in SA who has a full set of FRP Front Guards that are 45mm widebody too, and also carbon fibre boot and bonnet, that would have too save some, also switching to a fuel cell and removing the old fuel tank + sparewheel well and most of the boot floor and replacing it with alloy tube would help...

I wish I had weighed mine
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    Evo 5 - The silver fruitbox
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

Junior Member Grease Monkey Laurie D's Avatar

1280 kg MZ20. with full roll cage, full fuel and rear wing. It's taken a bit of work, and I can't imagine getting the car lighter without removing some inner structural items. Considered making front guards in glass but weight saving is minimal. Carbon/Kevlar bonnet saved about 9 Kg.

Laurie D

laurie do you have lexan windows?

ever looked into it?
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

Yes, I have Lexcen (polycarbonate) windows, except for front screen. It's a bit impractical for front as it scratches very easily and, unless it's formed "perfectly" wiper blades tend to skip patches.
    I might add here that proper corner weighting is a bit more accurate than the local weighbridge.

Laurie D

also laurie you have to remeber CPTSideways has a 1G as opposed to your 7M, there would be some considerable weight differences there
    Project Soarer II - Sold

...I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ
    1200kg is achievable I reckon, but you have too look at what youre going to put back with things like a rollcage, big turbo, etc etc.

Firstly, fuck off the drivers seat, theres 10KG there, the drivers seat feels like its at least 20kg, a good fibreglass backed seat with rails shouldnt be more than 10KG, switching to coilovers will save wieght as they are generally alloy and not steel like conventional struts, have you done the sound deadener? I did it in my soarer and it came to around 45-50kg and that was just the deadener, there is a guy in SA who has a full set of FRP Front Guards that are 45mm widebody too, and also carbon fibre boot and bonnet, that would have too save some, also switching to a fuel cell and removing the old fuel tank + sparewheel well and most of the boot floor and replacing it with alloy tube would help...

I wish I had weighed mine
    Drivers seat is only in as I'm awaiting my rollcage, then its FIA seats the lot. I'm expecting to put about 40kg back in of safety kit. Yep have to agree there was 25+kgs of sound deadener there! good thing we get cold winters here, frosty morning big mallet job done in an hour clean as a whistle

I'm reluctant to use lexan side windows as experience shows sometimes you need to get out when your upside down. I guess the fuel tank is uber heavy? & what do the bonnet & bootlids weigh?

Time to dig up the dead

Right I'm planning on putting my lardass drifter on a major diet, have got lots of lovely horsepowers now, just need to make it go forward when I press the loud pedal & not make smoke like a bastard like it currently does

Plastic windows rear & sides, modified bootlid, bonnet & doors (yes even lighter) then some hacking at the rear boot floor, the fuel tank & anything else that looks remotely fat.

So who has the lightest Z20 out there?
    Sliding his D1 Soarer around the UK

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

Looks like Laurie HAD. Unsure how far Mr1j's new car will go though?

Has anyone ever made a fibreglass bonnet not bought one?
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

MR 1JZ's new car is a street car at heart...and wont be getting gutted just yet...
    Project Soarer II - Sold

Yep. Made my own in carbon kevlar. It's about 7 or 8 kilos from memory.

Laurie D