Thread: Corona swap options

Low rep Grease Monkey

Default Corona swap options

Hey I have a 1981 Toyota Corona runabout with the shitty 1.9L Starfire engine in it. I already have a project car but I just want this to be a better daily/holiday car. What engine should I be looking at that is Carbie, 2L and Toyota also 5 speed (rather then the "I cant sit on the highway at 100k's" 4 speed that is in it now). Dont care for power, just enough to get it keeping up with traffic and be good on fuel. Oh yer, must be carbie and easy to get parts for rebuild or so common that wreckers replacements wont be a worry.

Any ideas?

I used to have a 1983 Toyota Celica paddock basher that went great, but im not sure if that would bolt right up (probably dreaming) to the Corona mounts, seeing as it is all Holden crap.

no backyard Domestic Engineer japlish's Avatar

Default Re: Corona swap options

the only thing i can think of is a carb 22r?
    use the crossmember out of a rt132 so that the 22r will fit in nicely, i think both the 22r and the 18r (that came in the rt132) were rear sump so no problems there.....
    use a w55,57 or 58 depends on cash.

oh and the carb 22r is out of a hilux. and there's plenty of aftermarket gear.

i myself have an rt142 with the efi 22r with extractors and exhaust and it goes pretty good
    Destroyer of 'Drop Forged' spanners

Low rep Grease Monkey

Aftermarket gear wise will go about as far as new gaskets IF it needs it. My mazda is enough headache im not after another project. I paid next to nothing for the car and want to keep it that way. Yer those codes mean pretty much nothing to me as a Mazda guy but some searching will clear it up and it is a start so thanks . How do you think the 22r will go on fuel in the 1200kg Corona wagon? Im getting just under 10L/100k's now with the shitty starfire so want to beat that.

As the 22r comes out of a Hilux im guessing there are plenty around at the wreckers yes?? Probably will go with the w55 box if it comes down to cash, cheaper = better. As long as it can take a single legger once every few months it will do fine.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

You won't get much better fuel economy from a 22re I was getting around 8 to 9L region on highway runs. But you must take note that a RT142 sedan which I quote those figures for is 100kg lighter than your car also.

I'd go hunt for a 5 speed if I were you I think you'd be well ahead in terms of economy & cash & time outlay over putting a new engine in especially one you know less about its history than the one you got.

That being said I agree the 22re dose have a little bit of poke, handy when you need to do some towing.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer crowncustom's Avatar

An 18R will fit with no probs.Just use a mid oil bath sump,mounts that come with motor w50 box and make your own gearbox crossmember or get one from a RT 132 Liftback and you will also have to change tailshafts also.
    Cheers Brett.