Thread: 2jz Catch Can

Junior Member Domestic Engineer 1jz68u's Avatar

Default 2jz Catch Can

hey guys this could be a bit of a noob question.

I bought a catch can today. Can someone please tell me how to install it on a 2j?

I tried 2 different ways.

1. Disconnect hose on driver side from rocker cover and connect to catch can. Blank off position on
    intake.

2. Disconnect hose on driver and passenger side run both hoses to catch can, blank off spot on plenum and intake.

Results.
    1. Small amount of smoke from exhaust when backing off.

2. Lots and lots of smoke all the time.

Help please.tried searching here sf and google.
    Glenn
    Current Ride http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41123
    Previous 3SGTE ST162, 1JZ Cressida 215RWKW-ET 13.318, Celsior, XT forester, 3SGE KE70.
    Quote Originally Posted by NME308 View Post
    You do of course realize forgiveness is easier to gain than permission right???
    Cheers, Jason

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Pube's Avatar

Default Re: 2jz Catch Can

Hose #1 - Rocker cover to catch can
    Hose #2 - Intake (pre throttle body) to catch can
    SOLD : 1GGTE Rt142 Corona - Twin TD04-9b turbos - 180rwkw = 13.1 @105mph

ok dont know if i made sense the first time so i will try with pics

1st time: Connected #1 to catch can, blocked #2. left 3 and 4 alone.

2nd time: t pieced 4 and 1 together (guy from shop told me to do this) blocked 2 and 3 off.

hope that makes a little more sense.

now i had the 2nd hose off the catch can just venting to atmo, so does this need to go back into the engine somewhere? if so where?

sorry for the stupid questions, last catch can i did 1 hose to catch can and that was it.

thanks
    Glenn
    Previous 3SGTE ST162, 1JZ Cressida 215RWKW-ET 13.318, Celsior, XT forester, 3SGE KE70.
    Cheers, Jason

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1jz68u
    1st time: Connected #1 to catch can, blocked #2. left 3 and 4 alone.

2nd time: t pieced 4 and 1 together (guy from shop told me to do this) blocked 2 and 3 off.
    I wouldn't be going back to that shop for advice any time soon then.

Both the hoses out of the rocker covers will have pcv valves in them and both do the exact same thing.

However, the one going into the inlet side will have a 1 way valve to stop you getting a vac leak, and the inlet side will just be straight fed without any restriction other than pcv due to this side always being in Vac.

The first way: Would have smoked cause youve gotten rid of one of the PVC hoses.
    The 2nd way: Would have smoked heaps cause you had blocked both of them off.

This is how you need to do it.

Run both rocker cover lines into the catch can. Then to draw all that air out of the can you need to run the two lines back to 1. the inlet manifold, and 2. the turbo intake tract. Just make sure the can has enough of an internal baffle so that the misty oil getting put in is not just going to be sucked straight out.

Seems like the supra setup is the same as any other but just twice as many hoses.
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

the catch can has 2 holes.

So join the hoses from rocker cover together then run into catch can?
    Then return line into number 3 or 2 on the pic? or do i have to join those ones together as well???

sorry for my retardation
    Glenn
    Cheers, Jason

1 and 4 are pcv fittings. 2 and 3 are vacuum fittings - but on boost #3 will have posititve pressure so it will more than likely have a 1 way valve to stop it pressurising the can and only allowing it to draw air in not blow it out.

I guess join 1 and 4 together then join 2 and 3 together and run 1&4 into one fitting on the can, and run 2&3 from the other. Just check that the can has enough baffles between the two fittings because if not then your not going to be improving on the standard setup. Alternatively you could buy another can or buy one with 4 fittings.

Simply put, the can just goes in the middle of the hose. So imagine if u just cut the hose in half - thats where the can would go.

awesome thanks will give that a try.
    Glenn
    Cheers, Jason

is a semi-motivated Domestic Engineer 1JZ~lux's Avatar

I've got a few problems with what you've said so far.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeRoy
    Both the hoses out of the rocker covers will have pcv valves in them and both do the exact same thing.

However, the one going into the inlet side will have a 1 way valve to stop you getting a vac leak, and the inlet side will just be straight fed without any restriction other than pcv due to this side always being in Vac.
    I have a 1JZ-GTE but I beleive the engines still breathe the same. There is only 1 PCV on the rocker cover on the plenum side. The way I thought it was meant to work was, the PCV blocks possitive pressure from boost but allows the plenum to suck excess gasses from the motor and preventing positive pressure from building from blow by and such. The hose from the intake piping (before the turbos) to the rocker cover is simply to prevent vacumn pressure from being created by the hose to the plenum. This is how I think it works anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeRoy
    1 and 4 are pcv fittings. 2 and 3 are vacuum fittings - but on boost #3 will have posititve pressure so it will more than likely have a 1 way valve to stop it pressurising the can and only allowing it to draw air in not blow it out.

I guess join 1 and 4 together then join 2 and 3 together and run 1&4 into one fitting on the can, and run 2&3 from the other. Just check that the can has enough baffles between the two fittings because if not then your not going to be improving on the standard setup. Alternatively you could buy another can or buy one with 4 fittings.

Simply put, the can just goes in the middle of the hose. So imagine if u just cut the hose in half - thats where the can would go.
    What I see wrong with this, is that the plenum would just be sucking straight from the intake and not through the engine. The excess pressure should still be able to escape though.

I'd recommend doing a search for JZA-80 Supras in the members rides and ask some of the owners if they don't already have pictures up.
    Petrol is for washing parts, alcohol's for drinking but NITRO IS FOR RACING!
    My pictures, Returning some time in the distant future.
    RN85 Hilux + 1JZ-GTE = 298.0HP @ 14PSI -- 60' 1.956 ET 13.775 MPH 99.49
    Project Korruption - Stage 1: The Resto. KE35 Corolla Hardtop daily driver

jetpilot Automotive Encyclopaedia 1JZ.747's Avatar

im a bit confused why you would put a catch can on a stock engine.

they are a smelly bugger of a thing and leave you open to be defected.

if your running big boost through a single conversion then yea theres a good reason to have one.
    8.3 et PB 169 MPH PB

Quote Originally Posted by 1JZ~lux
    What I see wrong with this, is that the plenum would just be sucking straight from the intake and not through the engine. The excess pressure should still be able to escape though.
    I think your right.

He will either need to get 2 catch cans, or block the intake manifold bung and only use the turbo inlet pipe vacuum feed.

If you join both hoses then you will create a vacuum leak and give yourself a nice and high idle. Apologies for the incorrect info.