Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1GGUE into Corona info needed??

Im a hopeless Domestic Engineer

Default 1GGUE into Corona info needed??

hey guys,

i have a good condition 1ggue (from GZ10 soarer) that i have come into possession with (as soon as i pull it out).

now next question is what to put it into. after thinking about a few options including another corolla, perhaps a t-18 (t-series t-50 box bolts upto 1G motors apparently.

another option is corona, a bit heavyer but a lot mroe sleeper, bit bigger, more comfy and people dont look twice at them. ive been talking to a mate xcedricx i think he is on these forums... he told me that the 1G will bolt in, to any 18r or 22re corona. is this true??

also what manual gear box do they have? thought they may have a w55?

if this is true, i would love to get one with an IRS rear and disks..

buttt, a mate has a cheap corona wagon which im also considering but he said it has a 4 speed manual with a "star fire" motor, im assuming tht this isnt code for a "R" series motor.

so assuming there is a version with a w-box (that i can bolt a 1g bellhousing too) what corona do i need to look for exactly. and will the motor bolt in???

stuff like loom etc should be able to get the full engine loom with the motor, maybe even the dash/digital cluster....

thanks in advance for any info!!
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Jt_70R View Post
    <3 7M sludge pump

Default Re: 1GGUE into Corona info needed??

anyone???????
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

<3 7M sludge pump

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Pube's Avatar

Ive done it in both IRS and live axle Rt142 coronas. Plenty of pics can be seen in my sig.
    SOLD : 1GGTE Rt142 Corona - Twin TD04-9b turbos - 180rwkw = 13.1 @105mph

Got the engine in this week. Was fairly straight forward as i used the original 22r mounts just modified and the standard crossmember mounts just cut off and re-welded in the correct spot.
    i thought that gz10 engine mounts would make a 1G bolt strait to the "R" series cross member???

how far out where the mounts?
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

<3 7M sludge pump

i 8 a p00 Carport Converter rob's Avatar

ssssssssssssearch
    - ma61 + 2jz-gte + v160 + 3.5 torsen

i did search dude, also tried to find something in the members rides section, sent a few people messages etc.
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

<3 7M sludge pump

dobble post
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

<3 7M sludge pump

Corona mechanic Grease Monkey

i can tell you right now, a 1g-gue will be a mighty step backwards from a 22r. Waste of time and effort mate. Your corona wouldn't be a sleeper, it would be as slow as it was before

I'd even go as far to say that a 1g-gte is a waste of time in a corona too. It's not bolt in either, no engine conversion ever is mate.

Sorry to sound like a thread troll, but this has been covered so many times, and so many people never do it. It gets a bit old really.

i can understand that, but not exactly unrealistic as posting up that i want to do a w16 conversion into one

the way i look at it, i have a motor thats in good condition still. i love the way it revs, it really did supprise me the way it got up and went! id also like a comfortable daily driver that isnt a total bore to drive. there are plenty of cost effective mods to do. plus the 1G was extremely good on fuel in my opinion (when i was driving with it in the soarer before i sold it).

another option would be to drop it into the -18 i have but it would make it quite front heavy and i wouldnt mind something a tad bigger and a bit more pimp/luxurious.

i was told that if i use the GZ10 engine mounts it would bolt to a "R" series cross memeber without modification, which has been failed to be answered.

yes i have spent several hours trying to find if this is infact true and also what motors/boxs are available. so some questions have been answered by searching but this main one hasn't.

might try and see how much a 22r was actually claimed to be putting out.
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

<3 7M sludge pump

i can tell you, i had to make custom mounts now to get a 1g-gte into an rt142 corona, i tried gx81 engine mounts, i tried ga70 mounts, i tried everything. They don't even come close to fitting or putting the engine in the right spot.

a mildly modified 22r is going to give you the same gains as using a 1g-gue and cost a far sight less money and time.

just my 2c, not gospel!

well i already have the 1G. realistically its probaly not worth all that much to sell and considering how healthy it is, just seems a waste to throw it/give it away.

id think all those other mounts would be different from the soarer oens.. done forget rt142 is what 86, soarer is 84... so yeah more likely to be the same plus soarer struts bolt in i believe, both have w55's alot more likely to eb compatible.. hell the whole x-member may bolt in!

id love to get a j160 box to put behind it as well... mmm, just for the wank factor haha. that maybe a possibility dont the lien tho.
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

<3 7M sludge pump

Quote Originally Posted by ae71
    well i already have the 1G. realistically its probaly not worth all that much to sell and considering how healthy it is, just seems a waste to throw it/give it away.

id think all those other mounts would be different from the soarer oens.. done forget rt142 is what 86, soarer is 84... so yeah more likely to be the same plus soarer struts bolt in i believe, both have w55's alot more likely to eb compatible.. hell the whole x-member may bolt in!

id love to get a j160 box to put behind it as well... mmm, just for the wank factor haha. that maybe a possibility dont the lien tho.
    Not to rain on your parade, but rt142 corona's are 83 - 86 and year model has no bearing on engine mounts.

I understand that some engine mounts are interchangeable. But G series engine mounts (1G-GUE / GTE / GZE whatever) do not work on the R series engine x-member found in the rt142 corona. You will need custom engine mounts. Every single corona sporting this conversion, has used custom engine mounts.

I was under the same impression that you could use G series mounts in a corona when I first started, but after actually trying it in this funny thing they call the "real world" they didn't even come close to fitting after dummy fitting the motor.

Another problem you will find is that everything on the motor is reversed. Inlet will end up where your exhaust was - so you have to extend your fuel lines / throttle cable.
    Exhaust will also be fun, as you will have to find a way to get it from under the driver side.

It's just the biggest mess around.
    I've already done the measuremeants and stuff, and you'd get much better results putting an sr20de / det into a corona. Sure you would have to customise it a bit to get it to work, but hell, the amount of work needed for a 1g-gte / gue corona just isn't worth the gains and the loss of engine bay space!

was just saying that ga70 is a lot later model so parts around the same years of manufacture usually have a better chance of being interchangeable. i do have a good mate who is a fabricator by trade im sure he would help me out with mounts

i figured that exhaust would be a bit easier as there are no pesky turbo's in the way.

putting a sr20 into one may work well but it kind of isnt the point, and then it dobbles the cost by my calculations..

im not thinking if custom mounts have to be made.... than may as well try and find a cheap st141 with a blown motor, pull out motor, and BW box and diff and put in proper ones.

let me know if this sounds resonable...

corona $400-500
    w55 $350
    ra40/60 t-series and tail shaft (this would work?) $250
    materials for engine mounts $80
    fuel pumps and surge tank $250
    throttle cable $20
    mis $100 (get coolant and gear oil free)

that comes to $1550 so far then, these exhaust (maybe able to use soarer one)

fuel lines maybe able to be bent into a useable position so that long rubber hoses arnt needed.

then these brakes/susy but thats not nessesay to perform the conversion.
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

<3 7M sludge pump

and as i said, its not going to be a drift bus or anything like that, mostly just a daily. i was quite happy with how it went in my soarer so it should go the same in a rona.
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

<3 7M sludge pump

Still just a Grease Monkey Glenno52's Avatar

If it was me...i'd do it because someone said you "can't or shouldn't'...but that's me

If you are handy with a welder and can work out a few problems for yourself...have a go!

If you need someone to hold your hand and can't do most of it yourself...it most likely would not be worth it as far as $$$ go. BUT, you will end up with a fairly unique car that not every Tom,Dick & Harry has

My Corona is a bit older (1980 RT132) but I got a great deal of satisfaction fitting the
    1g-gze to it. I cut the Chaser mounts off its crossmember and with little modification was then able to weld them straight onto the RT132 crossmember. A simple custom made gearbox mount...and the rest was pretty straight forward. Just takes a bit of time to think things out that need modification...concentrate on one at a time, and it will all come together with a little help from all the friendly Toymodders here

Good luck!
    1g-gze Corona RT132 (Daily)
    RA23 Celica (Project under way)
    RT81 & MS112 (Still Thinking About It!)
    Wife thinks i'm mad (yep... she's right!)