Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MA61 Heater Problem

Wazzzzup!? 1st year Apprentice ToranaJudd's Avatar

Unhappy MA61 Heater Problem

At present I am facing the problem whereas where ever the settings are, temp (low-high), fan (on-off), air (recirc-outside) I just get hot air from the vents constantly and all the vents, from footwell, dash and windscreen! I was thinking things were disconnected under the dash, but have pulled it apart and found it all to be moving something and doing the right jobs. The fan does come on when ist at Auto,Low,High. And its not on when selected in Off position, I was thinking something was wrong in the engine bay in the way of the bellow diaphragm being busted or vacuum lines not connected properly. Could someone please direct me in the correct direction.

Cheers, Judd.

Toymods Midget Automotive Encyclopaedia Yian's Avatar

Default Re: MA61 Heater Problem

MA61 dedicated thread; try there

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...?t=254&page=56

But yeah, sounds like the heater tap problem.
    SHE LIVES!
    1984 MA61, 1998 Honda Hornet CB600F

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

Make sure you have the little coil near the passenger side bonnet strut hooked up (has two little vaccum lines coming off it running to the heater flying saucer looking thing) but most important there's a temp sensor under the long centre console that needs to be plugged in otherwise no matter what all you'll get is hot air (weird design, but this had me stumped for a week or so with mine!)

The flying saucer solenoid is what controls the hot water going to the heater core, take the vacuum line off the top of it and voila, no more hot air. The temp slider in the car should operate the little coil near bonnet strut to make it gradually cut vacuum to the flying saucer, hence no water into core, no hot air into car. Once agin though, none of this works if the sensor under the centre console isnt connected
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

Toymods Midget Automotive Encyclopaedia Yian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whatthe?
    most important there's a temp sensor under the long centre console that needs to be plugged in otherwise no matter what all you'll get is hot air (weird design, but this had me stumped for a week or so with mine!)
    What he said. Forgot about that. Reppage for you!
    SHE LIVES!
    1984 MA61, 1998 Honda Hornet CB600F

Yay, rep half century!

Teh Massif Dong Carport Converter BlackSupra's Avatar

Make sure you have the little coil near the passenger side bonnet strut hooked up (has two little vaccum lines coming off it running to the heater flying saucer looking thing)
    Yeah this is the heater VSV.

If you have bypassed this then there will be permanent vacuum given to the top of the heater tap, which will in turn open and always have hot water running through the system.

On a side note, i found the air always to be a bit warm in my ma61 on fan mode anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSupra
    Yeah this is the heater VSV.

If you have bypassed this then there will be permanent vacuum given to the top of the heater tap, which will in turn open and always have hot water running through the system.

On a side note, i found the air always to be a bit warm in my ma61 on fan mode anyway.
    On another side note if you have bypassed it or it's just not there but you have a spare two pronged plug near your washer bottle I have about 6 of these and youre more than welcome to 1 of them

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

you also have to have the two coolant temp sensors (down stream from the heater tap) connected otherwise the climate control doesn't know what temp the coolant is at.

the TSRM (used to be at http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/librar...KII/index.html) will show you the plumbing nad wiring associuated with climate control.

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

I come into the thread thinking to spread my vast knowledge, and all you smart arses have covered the bases - good work!
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Thanks for all the info, Had a pull apart day today and played with some bits and peices. Turns ut the flying saucer was leaking, so i replacxed it and the coil to its right was there and all hooked up, so i go inside the car for a look for the air temp sensor and have no fking idea where that is! Can't find it anywhere. COud some1 please point out as to where it is, as of the gearshift gackwards my console is gone and the switches and everything else electrical is gone. Could it be in there? Cheers. Judd.

Quote Originally Posted by ToranaJudd
    Thanks for all the info, Had a pull apart day today and played with some bits and peices. Turns ut the flying saucer was leaking, so i replacxed it and the coil to its right was there and all hooked up, so i go inside the car for a look for the air temp sensor and have no fking idea where that is! Can't find it anywhere. COud some1 please point out as to where it is, as of the gearshift gackwards my console is gone and the switches and everything else electrical is gone. Could it be in there? Cheers. Judd.
    Yep, it lives in the rear part of the centre console (the long part). Without it you wont be getting anything but hot air. You should have some plugs coming from the dash and ending somewhere near the handbrake, it's one of those that the temp senspor plugs into

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

note: you need the temp sensor plugged in otherwise you get flat out hot or cold (sorry, forgot which one)

Well now have thje centre console back in and t6he air is getting a lot cooler. I can not beleive the worksop manual, It says that the sensor is somewhere up behind the glovebox, but also shows a LH drive model. BLOODY AMERICANS. Thankyou very much for your help! Much appreciated! Was sick of getting into a cr with constant heat pooring at my feet! Now just top get the a/c converted to the new gas. Was quoted $300. Anyone else had it done and what did it cost them? Seems like a good price to me as they replcae the "o" rings at each join and the receiver/dryer.

Cheers Judd.

Quote Originally Posted by thechuckster
    note: you need the temp sensor plugged in otherwise you get flat out hot or cold (sorry, forgot which one)
    Yep, it lives in the rear part of the centre console (the long part). Without it you wont be getting anything but hot air.
    I'm pretty sure thats what I said

Quote Originally Posted by ToranaJudd
    Well now have thje centre console back in and t6he air is getting a lot cooler. I can not beleive the worksop manual, It says that the sensor is somewhere up behind the glovebox, but also shows a LH drive model. BLOODY AMERICANS. Thankyou very much for your help! Much appreciated! Was sick of getting into a cr with constant heat pooring at my feet! Now just top get the a/c converted to the new gas. Was quoted $300. Anyone else had it done and what did it cost them? Seems like a good price to me as they replcae the "o" rings at each join and the receiver/dryer.

Cheers Judd.
    Mine was $420 regassed with new drier and o rings, they also had to custom build the hoses to suit the 7M in an MA61. Make sure they check the evaporator also, as the first time they gassed mine all the gas left the system in 2 days despite them leak testing everything under the bonnet