Thread: aw11 clutch problems

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic KARNAGE's Avatar

Default aw11 clutch problems

hey all i have a little problem with the old aw11 a couple of months ago the clutch slave let go so i replaced it, and just the other day it felt like it had done it again as i had no clutch pedal but when i had a look at the clutch master and the slave i noticed that the clutch slave was fine no braked fluid had leaked from it and the clutch master was still full. and the weird thing is i jumped in the car the other day and god knows how i have the clutch working again. so im trying to work out what the problem is could it be the clutch master playing up since the slave is new? i have a braided clutch line sitting here ready to go in when i get the time but i wanna fix this problem up first its really stumped me

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

Default Re: aw11 clutch problems

Yes your master cylinder is probably the cause of your fun. Look for signs of brake fluid leakage at the firewall (paint turning to liquid shit).
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

great anyone have one spare

broken down ex guru Chief Engine Builder feral4mr2's Avatar

just get the one you have sleaved with a stainless steel sleave (wont pit like the cast ones do) and put a new rubber kit in it.

hmm interesting where would i get parts for that?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

In NSW Auto Brake Service (ABS) resleeve plus there is a business either in the Central Coast or Coffs Harbour. Everyone else send their cylinders to these two places however get a few quotes as even though they don't sleeve themselves they still might give a better price. Kits are available from everyone although I've always got a good price from Auto One which sell the ABS packaged product.

Note that the cheap chinese import cylinders are often far cheaper than a reseelved cylinder.

hey thanks for that pertergoudie will have a look into it before mine totally gives in +rep

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

A few bits of trivia:

1) The majority (if not all) brake parts that I've come across are imperial not metric. If you are quoted a 19mm bore it's really 3/4". I think the history is that Bendix corporation which might have been US or English based had all the market at one time and everyone else just copied Bendix. Many of the threads on the brake lines are imperial as well.

2) In regard to price, the last sleeved clutch slave I had done was abot $30 and a complete chinese import was about $25. A long length dual brake master cylinder was either $60 or $90 resleeved and I think the complete chinese import was about the same price. Notwithstanding the comparable price, I went for the stainless resleeve because you don't have to resleeve them again, just clean them up. A Peugeot I once had needed a new slave kit every 12 to 18 months.

3) 1928 was when Walter P Chrysler introduced the first mass production hydraulic brakes. Henry Ford hung on to mechanical brakes until about 1936. Oh, by the way, in 1918 when Chrysler took over as CEO of the Willy's motor corporation (later known for the Jeep) his salary was one million US dollars a year. After the Willy's Board had settled down he said 'and I want another million on top, the next year". I must try that the next time I go for a job.