Thread: warning about toymods user

Junior Member Chief Engine Builder wiso's Avatar

Default warning about toymods user

I want to issue people with a warning about buying vehicles from a fellow toymods user toymotorsport.

I bought a celica unregistered of this user which had some known problems which he divulged and also mentioned the work he had performed to get the vehicle up to a suitable state. I have spent months fixing this car from its known and unknown issues in the stive to get it registered for my girlfriend to drive.

Before selling the car he mentioned he had recently changed the clutch on the car. while doing this he had snapped one of the linkage cables for the gearbox. after fixing that issue and taking the car for regestration it was knocked back for having a severe vibration while running. The mechanic at the inspection mentioned me to have a look at the clutch or gearbox as a cause for the vibration.

In my efforts to remove the gearbox I have discovered some very dangerous repairs as done by this previous owner.

1. The gearbox only has 4 solid mounting bolts, 2 of which were only done finger tight. another bolt was sitting in the hole not even done up. 2 main bolts were missing
    2. The starter motor was forced into the hole with no bolts holding it in.
    3. The engine crossmembers only had 2 bolts tightend to a satisfactory stardard, the remaining 8 were only finger tight.
    4. The driveshaft bolts were far from tight enough.
    5. the clutch plate was not setup properly, it will require replacement. it has begun to delaminate. could be due to the rough surface on the flywheel.

There is some issues here that really concern me especially since i was going to give the car to my girlfriend to drive who knows nothing about cars.

I am not saying don't buy from this person, just saying if you do be aware that if he has done any work on the vehicle to thoughily check before buying or confirm the quality of the work once purchased.
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: warning about toymods user

have you been in contact with him to sort this out?

checking bolts for tightness is something that should be done on any project car i would have thought?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Yes, he states there was and is no problem with it. Checking bolts maybe, having to redoe the procedure no, He stated he was driving the car fine for a couple of weeks after the clutch swap. Still after a couple of weeks if crossmember bolts etc were done up properly in the first place they should no be so loose. same goes for gearbox bolts and clutch plate bolts.
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

custom dont come in a box Domestic Engineer toymotorsport's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wiso
    I want to issue people with a warning about buying vehicles from a fellow toymods user toymotorsport.

I bought a celica unregistered of this user which had some known problems which he divulged and also mentioned the work he had performed to get the vehicle up to a suitable state. I have spent months fixing this car from its known and unknown issues in the stive to get it registered for my girlfriend to drive.

Before selling the car he mentioned he had recently changed the clutch on the car. while doing this he had snapped one of the linkage cables for the gearbox. after fixing that issue and taking the car for regestration it was knocked back for having a severe vibration while running. The mechanic at the inspection mentioned me to have a look at the clutch or gearbox as a cause for the vibration.

In my efforts to remove the gearbox I have discovered some very dangerous repairs as done by this previous owner.

1. The gearbox only has 4 solid mounting bolts, 2 of which were only done finger tight. another bolt was sitting in the hole not even done up. 2 main bolts were missing
    3. The engine crossmembers only had 2 bolts tightend to a satisfactory stardard, the remaining 8 were only finger tight.
    5. the clutch plate was not setup properly, it will require replacement. it has begun to delaminate. could be due to the rough surface on the flywheel.

There is some issues here that really concern me especially since i was going to give the car to my girlfriend to drive who knows nothing about cars.

I am not saying don't buy from this person, just saying if you do be aware that if he has done any work on the vehicle to thoughily check before buying or confirm the quality of the work once purchased.
    i dont see how this is possabel as the veical was put back together without any extra bolts

as far as i am aware the car was put tegether with everything done up right

dont see how its possabel as teh car would have trouble starting

again no extra bolts

driveshaft bolts ?

what was the probel with the cluch ???

custom dont come in a box Domestic Engineer toymotorsport's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wiso
    Yes, he states there was and is no problem with it. Checking bolts maybe, having to redoe the procedure no, He stated he was driving the car fine for a couple of weeks after the clutch swap. Still after a couple of weeks if crossmember bolts etc were done up properly in the first place they should no be so loose. same goes for gearbox bolts and clutch plate bolts.
    and no you never contacted me about any of these problems you have asked me if there was ever a rattle and as i said there was nevere a rattle while i drove or while i showed you the car or when you drove the car onto the trailer

Deep Fried Backyard Mechanic ONETEN's Avatar

driveshaft bolts ?
    This response here sorta says it all for me...
    Old School: 1971 Datsun 1200 Deluxe Coupe all original... yep factory twin cam turbo
    Daily: 2006 Hilux Dual Cab D4D 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by hcope86
    This response here sorta says it all for me...
    because FWD don't really have driveshafts? or? (i'm kidding..)
    Last edited by oldcorollas; 10-10-2008 at 03:01 PM.
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Deep Fried Backyard Mechanic ONETEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    because FWD don't really have driveshafts? or?
    Oh i suppose it may be a newer model... I kinda assumed it was a older RWD model
    Old School: 1971 Datsun 1200 Deluxe Coupe all original... yep factory twin cam turbo
    Daily: 2006 Hilux Dual Cab D4D 4WD

hmm.. engine crossmemberS
    8 bolts....

Quote Originally Posted by toymotorsport
    i dont see how this is possabel as the veical was put back together without any extra bolts

as far as i am aware the car was put tegether with everything done up right
    well I must be a superman if i can undoe a bolt that should have between 80-90ft/lbs of torque with my fingers

dont see how its possabel as teh car would have trouble starting
    not with this car, the starter has a colar that is a couple of inches long, this is a reasonably tight fit into the hole for it, when the starter cranks it twists the body a little but the flange hits the gearbox stopping it from turning any more.

again no extra bolts
    yeah no extra, all 10 were there, the engine crossmember had one each end done tight. the other 2 were not. and the 6 on the chassis crossmember i undid with my fingers, read question one.

driveshaft bolts ?
    hub nuts, these require 154ft/lbs of torque, yet once again, finger tight. if not done up tight enough these do undo themselves rather quickly though.

what was the probel with the cluch ???
    for some reason all the fibres on the clutch plate are separating. this could be due to poor alignment of the clutch or a manufacturing defect, unkown as yet.
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

anyway, as stated I am certainly not saying don't buy from this user, just to double check any work that may have been completed by toymotorsport.

Thank you
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers