Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AE93 Clutch

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default AE93 Clutch

High guys, just pulling out the gearbox from my ae93 corolla to do the clutch.

I have undone all the bolts connecting engine and gearbox mounts (3) of them, also unbolted the contre crossmember and tried to remove it, but the rear gearbox mount has a bolt which passes through both crossmembers.

Has anyone got a suggestion on how to get the rear gearbox mount out, I have punched out the bolt at the back of the mount. but the one at the front of the mount wont come out. Anyone got a suggestion, i've already tried jacking the engine and gearbox up/down to different heights. Would love any help anyone could offer.

Thanks again.

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

Default Re: AE93 Clutch

as in fwd ae92 i suggest removing the whole engine it will be a mighty task to realign the clutch and get the box back on

you have to remove the east west crossmember to get to the second bolt dont worry the car wont collapse on you when you undo it
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

I have decided to jack the car up, and place the stands underneth the points where the scissor jacks normally go. This will remove the pressure off fo the east west cross member, allowing me to drop it down a few millimetres.

This should allow me to remove the front wheels, along with cv's. And should also allow me to nudge the crossmember down far enough without having to remove it totally, I will try this tonight. If that doesn't work, can anyone suggest somewhere I could hire an engine hoist ?

Or would a member like to let me borrow one lol

buy a block and tackle liek 100 bucks and drop the engine out from the bottom, works out alot easier, if your having trouble with one of the bolts why dont u remove the bolt that goes through the ring part of the mount, then the mount will be free from the x member

there are 2 bolts that connect the mount to the engine, i have remove the one towards the rear of the car, but the one towards the front of the car can't be removed. if you try to pudsh it out it gets stuck on the mount itself. if you try and push the mount up and out, it hits the steering rack.

the mount will have 2 bolts holding it to the engine 2 to the x member and 1 through it holding the mount together remove the 2 from the x memeber or the 1 big one that holds it all together

its as simple as that

I wish it were that simple, im going out to do it now.

I have removed the bolts from the crossmember, and the big bolt going throught the middle.

The forward most bolt that connects to the cross member cannot be taken out because if you try to push it up, it hits on the mount itself. If you try to take the mount out it hits on the steering rack.

This is what i think I will try, twisting the gearbox around the the engine mount mounting bracket will become clear of the mount itself. then i should be able to remove the mount. and slide the gearbox off.

Will report back soon.

Man this is alot easier in a ae82.

i dont get what your saying, but the best way to do a clutch change in a fwd is to remove the engine and box as one and then do it out of the car it is almost a impossibility without doing it this way unless you have access to a whole lot of tools and have real buff arms

if the bolts are undone why dont u pull the spline out of the flywheel etc then twist the box around so the mount doesnt hit the steering rack?

have fun and good luck

The mount that is attached to the gearbox for the rear engine mount will hit the steering rack if you twist the gearbox.

================================================== ======
    Just removed the gearbox, wasn't fun and im definately not a big guy, but i managed. a system of 2 car stands. 1 under each side of the car, under the front pillars where the jack mounts are. each car stand has a brick on it with a scissor jack in the fully closed position. My spare wheel and some brick are supporting the sump while the gearbox is out. I just matched up my existing clutch with the replacement one, and it turns out I have been given the wrong one. lol I require the bigger one.

So im 1/2 way there, off to get the fly wheel machined tomorrow, and to get my off side driveshaft rebuilt. yeah it's rs to.

Can anyone recommend a place to get the front engine mount rebuild in the sutherland shire ?

Rebuilt or strengthened ??

Another update, clutch has been replaced, flywheel machined. And everything put back together.

But the clutch doesn't work. this morning I drove it to my local mechanic for him to have a look at. (yes I drove it without a clutch, the foot pedal just depresses all the way to the floor, and it only bites on the clutch @ the last bit
    Any ideas ?

Aerial Superpony Domestic Engineer SeptemberSquall's Avatar

Cable or hydraulic clutch? If hydraulic, bleed it. If cable, is the length appropriately adjusted?

It's hydraulic..

I didn't disconnect the lines when I removed the box. just simply unbolted it from the box and pushed it aside.

Have taken it to my got mates @ goodyear near where I work. Looks like the master cylinder. What can I expect to pay to have this replaced ?

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ae82gunner
    Looks like the master cylinder. What can I expect to pay to have this replaced ?
    mine was $185

edit: for a standard AE82 4AGE that is
    1987 AE82 4AGE Corolla Seca Twin Cam in RED
    FOR SALE!!!

Well aparently mine will need a whole new one.

lol