Thread: 1NZ-FE ECU & Ignition barrel problem

Junior Member Grease Monkey progkamol's Avatar

Default 1NZ-FE ECU & Ignition barrel problem

Hi all, its been a while since I posted a thread in here.

The story is that I bought an Echo 2003 model (damaged) from someone and was going to fix it up at my panel shop. The car is almost complete now in terms of panel & paint but I just came across 1 big problem. The owner who sold the car to me doesn't have a key for the car. For some reason, the Echo have security system key where all keys are programmed to use with certain ECU. I rang Fremantle Toyota and Peter at spare parts dept confirmed with me that the keys only can be use with the ECU it programmed to on the particular car. Now the problem is we don't have a key.

Now I remember that I stripped down another 2 Echos around 3 months ago (putting 2 cars into one car) and I have heaps of parts lying around. I found a steering column with ignition barrel, 2 doors handle with locks, ECU and airbag control (engine and transmission also still there). I was thinking that I could change these parts (ignition barrel, ECU, doors locks) that I have to put on to the Echo that is about to be complete because I still have 2 keys that came with the ignition barrel that I took off another echo 3 months ago. The big problem that I found is that the ECU that i took off another Echo 3 months ago is AT and the one I have now is MT. The engine is the same, the pins layout on ECU is the same (can just plug in), the make is the same but one is labled with AT and another is MT. Obviuosly one is for automatic and another is for manual. The Echo that is about to be complete is manual so I don't think putting an AT ECU in will be such a good idea.

So now it left me with these options:

- Buy new igition barrel, door locks, keys and ECU from toyota (keys will be programed by Toyota). This will cost over $2,100 trade price. Note that Toyota "CANNOT" make the key to suit the ECU that currently in the car.

- Convert the Echo to automatic transmission using the engine and transmission that I have from the Echo that I stripped 3 months ago. That way I can use the lock, ignition barrel and ECU that I have. No other parts to buy if I go with this option but it will take quite a bit of time.

- Try to bypass the vehicle security system somehow and try to use the keys that i have with the ignition barrel from Echo that I stripped 3 months ago. I have no idea how this suppose to work anyway but it was suggested to me by one of the wreckers. And this method does not gaurantee to work.

Well, its seem like those are the only options I have. So what do you all think? Any other options and which way should I go with. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Signed
    M4C

Modify is my middle name Grease Monkey Darola's Avatar

Default Re: 1NZ-FE ECU & Ignition barrel problem

Hey there mate.... there is a way to re-program the ecu to take a new key so u dont have to change anything at all..

i got 2 mates that should be able to help you out if you in sydney.. both r mobile guys
    OneTec auto elec, Mike 0404 538 112 ( around botany area)
    Azzo Auto elec, Daniel 0411 447 044 ( around hills/hornsby area)

just let them know Eddie told you to ring and they should be able to help you out

Ed
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Eddie 0433 85 69 66

hey mate... sorry just relised your in WA... ring around some auto elec guys.. a new key can be re-programed without changing anything

Ed
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Eddie 0433 85 69 66

Thanks for that Ed.

I didn't thought that would work at first. Toyota faxed we with last keys procedure documents. On that it says if you lost all keys ECU must be replace and the "blank keys" will be reprogrammed to the new ECU and will required cutting to fit. I guess Toyota wants to sell me those parts anyway.

I'll ring around tomorrow see who can do that for me. However, I will still need to buy blank keys from toyota right? The problem is I'm not sure that they will only sell me the blank keys or not. Remember there was no original keys for this car ... I'll try anyway ... thanks again.
    Signed
    M4C

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

most good locksmiths that deal with immobilizer keys, can flash a key to an existing ecu. but they usually charge through the nose, knowing full well the only other way around it is to buy a new key and ecu set from toyota. the locksmiths should have a aftermarket key that will work. they should be able to pull a door barrel and code a key to work in the ignition thats there

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

I found this in my searching a while back...

Not really helpful, but interesting to me!

http://www.automam.net/toyotakey.htm

Cheers
    Wilbo

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Again, not sure if useful, but at the wreckers today I saw out of the corner of my eye a broken module near the steering column of a Prado...

It had ILL-, ILL+, CODE, TXCT, and CODE on the overlay... so a collected it...

Its the key reader

I'll put pics up later...

Its pretty simple, and uses a Texas Instruments TMS3705 IC to read the RFID tag in the key!

Cheers
    Wilbo

thanks guys ... the lock smith down the road from my workshop said he couldn't do it (after keeping the ignition barrel and ECU for a week lol) ... luckily he didn't charge for trying.
    I'll try another place tomorrow and see what happen.
    Signed
    M4C

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

i know a place in riverton that supposedly does programmable keys.. did you go to that one? it's on the same row of shops as the hobby place and precision workshop... it's the first right turn on high street, if you turn in from leach highway...
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Captain Red Grease Monkey SuperDave's Avatar

If the Echo is anything like the same era Corolla you can start it on a normal key. Obviously the key needs to have the correct cut. Could just swap the ignition barrel over to the keys you currently have, and just get a back up key cut and see if that works. There might be an issue between the ignition and the ECU then...
    My Sled, My Videos
    Quote Originally Posted by MR22ZZ
    The tow goes above the tow hook

hey there mate.....

keep looking around but there is ways to do it...

the way we do it is open the ecu.. get the code on the chip, and we have a small clamp that connects to the legs on the chip and thats how we reprogram the chip.. im sure we charge around the $500 mark, witch is a 1/3rd of the price to replace everything...

so keep looking and ringing ppl mate.. someone down there should be able to do the same...

Ed
    Eddie 0433 85 69 66

RZN169R+2JZGTEVVTI+R151 Domestic Engineer madmont's Avatar

Jealousy is a curse

Still doesn't work out ... I think I'll buy a damaged Echo and swap ignition barrel and ECU over to get this one going ... then I'll wreck the damage one ...

Hopefully will only cost me half of what I have to pay for buying ECU and key as a set in Toyota
    Signed
    M4C