Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: why is this site so slow?

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

Default Re: why is this site so slow?

First lets delete some of those emoticons from your posts stu. That should free up about 50GB.
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

sure. why not (^-^)

Thanks Cuzzo, i found the button :D

now how do i make it retroactive ;)
    Last edited by oldcorollas; 14-11-2008 at 05:47 PM.
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

but seriously tho, i will volunteer to go thru threads and cut out chitchat...and compile useful info into a few posts, then delete others.
    makes threads smaller, they take up less space, less time for searching.

only downside is if you are searching for a specific persons comment... but to begin with, just the non-informative posts can be removed.
    or, peoples useful comments can be compiled into one post from them.. so you can still search by user.

i would not think many people search via the date and time of posting?

this doesn't have to be a heavy handed approach, it depends on what proportion of posts are "useful" or not, and it is up to board and members of the threads to determine what is useful or not.

in the end we can have a smaller number of HUPs (highly useful posts... thats my TLA for the day), which make it easier for newbies to find info as well as easier for non-noobs as well..

is there a downside?

ALTERNATIVELY..
    if people went thru and compiled and edited their OWN posts, so a mod could come thru a thread and just delete the newly vacant posts... that would give the posters freedom to preserve their info, and make life easier for mods.

but can you imagine trying to get people to help themselves? .. some people will, some will ignore the request.. and some simply won't have time...
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

OC, every other forum I know seems to do just fine with threads full of shite... in fact on most forums that is all the threads have in them!

If you made some other forums cut down to only useful posts, they would disappear!

Why does Toymods have to be special in this regard?!

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Wilbo's Wiki (Includes 2JZ-GTE Wiring, etc! )

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

I reckon the AW11, JZA70, etc owner's threads could probably trim a few thousand posts without braking a sweat. I swear it's used as a chat room
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbo666
    OC, every other forum I know seems to do just fine with threads full of shite... in fact on most forums that is all the threads have in them!

If you made some other forums cut down to only useful posts, they would disappear!

Why does Toymods have to be special in this regard?! :)

Cheers
    Wilbo
    that is true...

btu i guess they have better arrangements with servers and hosting?
    maybe big threads are not such a problem.. and chatting is not THAT much of a problem.... BUT does that chatting still need to be archived, 3 months.. 6 months.. 2 years later? is just taking up space...

the condensing of useful/important information (and useful chat) would only be a good thing for all involved.. except the poor schumck that has to wade thru the crap to do it..

toymods IS special... in that it doesn't need to be full of crap. same as the club :P
    there are plenty of other Fwhorums out there for those with a need for verbiage

i guess when a thread gets to 5000 posts or so.. either it's a very veyr useful thread.. or it is a chat room... nothing wrong with the chatting.. but chat is only useful for a short time.. doesn't need to be preserved...
    then again. people could always use MSN to chat to their friends... :D

just checking..
    AW11 =30,000 posts
    Z10/20 = 24,500
    A70 almost 19,000
    GT4 = 18,000
    162 = 15,000
    classic celica = 13,000
    KE thread = 12,700
    MA61 = 11,800

then we have ACT spotted thread with almost 6,500? man isn't yhere anything better to do in canberra? :D
    then "technical" A70 = 2,100
    RA40 = 1300

and then down from there..

of those top 8 or 9 threads, we have 150,000 posts.. i'm sure at least a couple are worth archiving as a quick reference of information?
    if there aren't any useful posts.. and no-one who made tham can be bothered finding the useful posts out of those 150,000... surely we can delete them :D
    Last edited by oldcorollas; 14-11-2008 at 07:27 PM.

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Why doesn't Toymods have a Wiki? If the wiki wasn't open to all persay, but only trusted persons were able to add to it (Cut down on the number of incorrect 'facts'), wouldn't this be an even better resource in some respects?

It could stop a whole lot of threads from even existing in the first place?

And I've got no issue with getting rid of all of those threads Not like you can find anything in them anyway!

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Wilbo's Wiki (Includes 2JZ-GTE Wiring, etc! )

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

The speed of the forums is related to the server on which it currently resided being of a C64 platform. Last I heard the new server is set up, and we are awaiting the transfer over to it.

Cheers
    Simon
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

I remember on the old forum there were articles etc.

Any reason something similar is not happening here?
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

Quote Originally Posted by Lambolica
    The speed of the forums is related to the server on which it currently resided being of a C64 platform. Last I heard the new server is set up, and we are awaiting the transfer over to it.

Cheers
    Simon
    at least it's a step up from a Vic20...
    new server is a 2E? :D

still a good chance to clean up some large threads tho ;)
    Last edited by oldcorollas; 15-11-2008 at 11:26 PM.

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    at least it's a step up from a Vic20...
    new server is a 2E?

still a good chance to clean up some large threads tho

Oh definatly.... I did notice however that people started complaining about the slowness of the forums around about the same time the Tomvale joined the forums.

From a Moderators point of view, it is so much easier to ban, than clean up threads.

Cheers
    Simon
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

the main times i find it slows a little innormal useage is during editing posts and during "go to first new post" of thread.
    i imagine both require a bit more database interaction?

just banning doesn7t clean up the poop left behind tho ... we need a "toymods cleanernator"

Junior Member Conversion King Drifty Midship's Avatar

Deleting stuff is not the answer.
    The reason it is slow is because the posts table of the database only uses a single index.
    That means any request to the database needs to search against EVERY post ever made...
    Yeah you can delete posts.. delete away... but the thing is... being a FORUM.. people will tend to continue to make new posts so the problem will come back over time and deleting even by posts the performance increase would be marginal unless you deleted like 50% of the existing stuff.
    Saying to delete posts is akin to saying "I don't want my car to get stolen so I will let down the tyres"... yeah but what happens when YOU wanna drive it again?
    MySQL DB, even on a PIII server will eat a 1000000 record DB table no probs... just needs to be done right.
    I administered a footy tipping website DB... we had 8000 users making 8 tips a week by about round 14 the db started to choke up...
    It wasn't the server, it wasn't the bandwidth.. it was because there was near 850000 entries in a the one database table with a single index...
    I did not go... "hey let's delete some of the lower scoring tippers tips from earlier rounds... they won't need them... they won't mind cause they are losing anyway".
    Isn't there some Toymods catch cry... "Do it once, do it right." Try to apply it to all aspects of your life not just putting a 20V in your KE.
    AW11 - 1988 Red ADM 4AGZE conversion +
    MZW11 - 1987 Track car - "Ag-Spec Racing 1" - 1MZ powered AW11
    ST246 - 2002 Caldina GT-Four 'N-Edition'
    MS65 - 1973 Bash Car bash.skyracing.tv/

eh? i'm not putting a 20V in a KE ????

sure deleting stuff is not the answer to the speed problem.. but it would be useful anyway.

i'm not talking about useful posts, i'm talking about the rubbish... you seem to have many useful posts, but check some of the whor.. dedicated threads
    does someone really want to go back and look at their post about sex with a priest?

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

Depends how truthful the post was.

I often revisit my demons, its a form of testing ones-self.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.