Thread: 1jz Into Cressida ...

Your mum loves my Grease Monkey TasCressida's Avatar

Default 1jz Into Cressida ...

ok ok lol flame me cause i bet this has been asked a million times.

but i have a wrecked 1JZ soarer that im using for the donor into a 1990 7MGE cressida.

ok things i know....... need front sump ...SORTED!

now the newb questions. engine is out of wreck and ready to roll into the cressie.

What cross member exactly do i use and what from?

Will the 1JZ auto just fit nicely or does it need bashing (trial fit soon.) ?

What Auto trans Crossmember do i use and what model from?

What tailshaft am i meant to use as well?

will the Soarer Front or rear brake setups bolt onto the cressida easily?

and finallyt ....anyone need any soarer parts lol ...pm me if so lol.

sorry but i searched and couldnt find exactly the answer i am after.

hope someone can help ( im ex-nissan owner )

heheheh

cheers
    benny

Toymods Club Member Conversion King big_zop's Avatar

Default Re: 1jz Into Cressida ...

The information is out there, just need to know where to look.

Depending on what you want to achieve depenfds on what you need. For straight bolt in, you will need the crossmember you will need is from a JZX81 or a MX83 that was built after Feb 90. To make sure, measure your crossmember as quoted below.

The difference in the engine mounts is in spacing and angle, S1 crossmembers measures from the center of the engine mount base plate bolt hole to bolt hole is 523mm, and S2 crossmembers from the same place is a bit under 490mm. And the changeover date for the crossmembers was Feb 1990 to match the release of the 1JZ in Japan. JZX81 production started in Aug 90, the exact same time our Series 2 MX83 was put into production.
    This will sit the engine in as per factory and wont need any body mods.

Not too sure about the trans and tailshaft as im not sure how similar they are to the JZX81 versions - i know that they will fit in the tunnel without mods. You might be able to get away with a JZX81 tailshaft and the Soarer trans but i dont know about the crossmember.

I am pretty certain that the brakes wont bolt up but do what everyone else is and upgrade to the BA/R33 combo.

Als, try the Toyota Cressida forums if you havent already signed up. And the first page you see (with all the old stuff) is not the real forum.

Welcome to Toymods and its good to see that you have seen the light.

cheers zop! awesome help. yeah its a dec 1991 model.

how hard is the r33 brake combo?

can anyone add any info as far as talishaft and trans crossmember goes?

also will the stock trans handle 250+ rwkw? looking for casual qaurter mile fun.

also what is this cressida forum u speak of lol?

cheers
    bennnnnnny

Least it doesnt snore Backyard Mechanic Gary's Avatar

http://forums.toyotacressida.net/forums

sign up and it'll make sense, everything you need to know is there, search nice and hard and you'll find it all, including the power steering line mods needed for Z30 1J's, and making the aircon lines fit without farting around with the lines, the little wiring bits you need to know, what transmission crossmember to use etc

there's a thread dedicated to crossmembers for JZ conversions too for you to look at, zops got it though. couple pics too so you know what to look at

do us a favour on there though, as all the info is right there waiting for you (plenty people before you have asked precisely the same questions), dont post a thread asking what to do. search search search if there's something small you dont get, try adding the question to a thread instead (theres a JZX90 conversion thread that's very relevant to JZZ30 conversions so ask in there)
    JZX83
    UCF11

Junior Member Grease Monkey seamonsta's Avatar

If you are in Launceston talk to my brother (richzx), he has a 1J cressy with all the mods you are about to do, it's always a big help to actually physically look at a completed car to see what needs to be done IMOP.
    Hope that helps, welcome to Toymods.

another legend lol.

thanks gary much appreciated.

cheers

thanks seamonsta. was thinking of asking him if i could drive up from hobart and take some pics etc.

u reckon he would mind? will pm him.

thanks for the tip.

just registered on cressie forum..... its a cressida bible and builders guide from heaven ...cheers for the heads up.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

My auto box had been split open - they used 1jz front half and mx83 rear extension housing. I presume that allows use of stock cross member and tailshaft but don't quote me. I got that info of a receipt from the previous owner so my apologies if its incorrect

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Hi Ben just give me a ring if you want to have a look or need to know anything and I will try and help. If you need a hand with the wiring I have a mate who is an auto electrician and he does cheap work for cash.
    Cheers
    Rich

awesome thanks rich. would love to head up and take a looky.

what crossmember did u use for the trans? and the tailshaft?

also what stud pattern are MX83's? wanna use my vold GTP's off my cefiro. unsure if they will fir wisth wise either. They run 255 tyres lol. 17x11's with dish lol.

would look phat though lol.

Toymods Club Member Conversion King big_zop's Avatar

Re: Rims.

Stock bolt pattern is the same as Skyline, 5x114.3 and unless you had a 5-stud conversion (which im pretty sure you did as rims that wide are rare as in 4-stud) then they wont bolt up. But rims that wide wont fit at all without a wide body kit! 9.5" can be done with the right offset and minimal body work (depending on suspension setup) and ive seen 10 on (in america though so not sure on body differences).

Have a look at some members rides threads and see what they run. Notable ones would be Shanes IJZ-747 (his street wheels are big - not sure on exact spec) and Brendan-m2 just got a bigger set (F18x8 & R18x9).

Cressida's arent very good for dish as the ideal offest sits between pos 40-45 and even less if you have coilovers.

EDIT: whack them on and get some pics (if they bolt up)

thanks zop. yeah the cefiro has a S15 5 stud conversion. The rims are +33 GTR offset.
    seem to be wide as in come in a long way not out if u know what i mean. May need to trade them in for something a bit narrower then.

cheers

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Hey guys can anyone offer advice on AC wiring?
    THere appears to be a three wire/pin plug any idea what they need to go to? Appears to be two greens and a grey.

Dodgy brothers who wired it seem to have gotten something wrong according to the air con guy. We had to bypass the electrics and run hard power to the compressor to get it to run so we could gass it...

Still no workies though