Thread: Swapping out Hilux 4 speed for a 5 speed....

Forum Member

Default Swapping out Hilux 4 speed for a 5 speed....

Hi, I'm looking for a little bit of information regarding the 5 speed conversion into a hilux..

First of all, I've got a 1983 RN46 4x4 Hilux with a Holden 202 red motor up front with the stock Toyota 4 speed box and 4.556:1 rear diff ratio - I really want/need/would like to put a 5 speed into it. Revs about 3100 in 4th at about 100km/h with 31" tyres on.

Should I look for a 5 speed Hilux box and bellhousing to bolt up to the 202? (do I need the transfer case?)

OR should I get a celica/supra box 5 speed box? (will it even hook up to the transfer case?)

The reason why I'm asking as there seem to be plenty of gearboxes and bellhousings going around for the celica/supra to 202 red motor - but getting one for the 5 speed Hilux box is a little rarer.... I could always get one from CSR / Dellows / Marks 4wd adapters but this will be more expensive than finding one already on the used market.

I guess the question I'm really asking is will the 5 speed celica/supra box perform as wheel as the 5 speed Hilux box? Especially in off-road situations? Will it hook up to the transfer case?

I'm pretty well right with all the other stuff, such as having to change/balance tail-shafts, relocate gearbox mounts / cross-member / relocate transfer case.....

Just not sure about WHICH box to use??

Thanks.

sir Grease Monkey

Default Re: Swapping out Hilux 4 speed for a 5 speed....

if you get a g52 box out of the 84 - 96 hilux 4x4 , the holden to supra bellhousing will do the job. cheers bigwad

Forum Member

Cool, thanks for that I really appreciate the information..... The more stuff that I know that I can look for the easier it will be to scoop stuff up with time to get the conversion done.

I'm really looking forward to having the 5 speed in her, will be sweet.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=BlueDream]Hi, I'm looking for a little bit of information regarding the 5 speed conversion into a hilux..

First of all, I've got a 1983 RN46 4x4 Hilux with a Holden 202 red motor up front with the stock Toyota 4 speed box and 4.556:1 rear diff ratio - I really want/need/would like to put a 5 speed into it. Revs about 3100 in 4th at about 100km/h with 31" tyres on.

Should I look for a 5 speed Hilux box and bellhousing to bolt up to the 202? (do I need the transfer case?)

OR should I get a celica/supra box 5 speed box? (will it even hook up to the transfer case?)

The reason why I'm asking as there seem to be plenty of gearboxes and bellhousings going around for the celica/supra to 202 red motor - but getting one for the 5 speed Hilux box is a little rarer.... I could always get one from CSR / Dellows / Marks 4wd adapters but this will be more expensive than finding one already on the used market.

I guess the question I'm really asking is will the 5 speed celica/supra box perform as wheel as the 5 speed Hilux box? Especially in off-road situations? Will it hook up to the transfer case?

Hi, sent a pm, wondering if you have the new box in? what did you get, I have an LN46 dual cab 4x4 with the 202 engine on gas too,Cheers
    Waz Mandurah WA

Balloon Slayer Backyard Mechanic jimmmayyy's Avatar

I would hazard a guess that an R151 would work fine too with an adaptor (CRS?) from and R box to holden pattern.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Of coarse a G52 is the box to use but its not plug and play like a lot of people on here seem to think .
    You have to make new crosmember mounts on the chassis further back , lenthen the front and shorten the rear tailshaft.
    Dave