Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3SGTE coil on plug conversion

Zub Zub Domestic Engineer Gavatron's Avatar

Default Re: 3SGTE coil on plug conversion

Holding onto them for now. Potential projects coming up. Keep you in mind though.
    || 91 MX83 Cressida Grande 1JZGTE - Daily || 84 MA61 Supra 2JZGE - Track ||

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice tin can's Avatar

no worries
    im not a Mechanic im a parts interperter

current project: ke70 with 3tet
    now with 114kw on 10psi

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gavatron
    1MZ run wasted spark; 3 coils on the front bank with leads to the rear.
    Depends what year / model.

Some 1MZ have COP. (MVC30 for example)

Cheers
    Wilbo

Junior Member Chief Engine Builder Classique71's Avatar

one of the guys here in NZ has done a gen4 coil setup ,. controlled bty motec i believe with great in success terry .. I can put u onto him , if you go thru Toyspeed.co.nz's forum as wel;l ..
    Saphira - ST205 Celica GT-FOUR Group A NZ No:1/4
    "Mongrel Garage - back on Aussie soil! "

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

I've used 1ZZFE on a gen 2 motor. Not a bad fit, and as mentioned just enough room for some bosses to be welded on. 1NZ and 1SZ are a similar size and length just with mounting tab and connector angle differences.

I use these coils on most installs now, mainly 20V's but also RB25 neos, 1J/2Js, even a porsche 911. They are seemingly bullet proof, intelligent and capable of supporting at least 100hp per cylinder/23 psi quite easily.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I have ls1 coilpacks on my 3sgte in my mr2 Terry. Was a very cheap and easy way to hook them up to my wolf ecu and get rid of the old dizzy which never really worked for me since I have owned the car (dizzy now just functions at crank and cam angle sensor to the wolf).
    James uses motorbike coils (I cant recall which brand right now Ill ask him tonight) which are hooked up to his autronic cdi ignition box.He also uses the dizzy as crank and cam angle sensor the same as me.

Yamaha R6 coils are a good fit for the gen2 3sgte head. Im running a set on my MR2. Main problem is finding sparkplugs with removable terminal to suite the motorbike coils dependant on application. As I wish to run a 8 or 9 heat range plug in coppers it limits me severely. I ended up buying some plugs and turning down the solid terminal to the correc size. I run it with an autronic 500R cdi. You'll need some form of ignitor or CDI system to fire the coils.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

James.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

thanks guys. some good ideas in this lot. I'll check the 1ZZ ones. I've looked at 2ZZ engine we have sitting at work, and they are nowhere near correct length/shape

I've used the LS1 coils lots of times, but these are remote coils

James, I cant quite understand the comment about the "terminals". do you mean the threaded projection on the top of the plug???. Why would you use such a cold plug??

umop apisdn Chief Engine Builder twentyEight's Avatar

I'll be running an EMS Stinger on my Gen III 3S, would I need an external igniter to run the 1ZZ coilpacks?

I've been meaning to check the 1ZZ coilpacks on the 3S for a long time, I'm glad they suit!

Also, where's the best place to buy the coilpacks? (Obviously a Toyota parts dealership would be hugely exy...)
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Green '77 RA28 Celica - VVTi V8 Goodness...

Quote Originally Posted by terryo
    thanks guys. some good ideas in this lot. I'll check the 1ZZ ones. I've looked at 2ZZ engine we have sitting at work, and they are nowhere near correct length/shape

I've used the LS1 coils lots of times, but these are remote coils

James, I cant quite understand the comment about the "terminals". do you mean the threaded projection on the top of the plug???. Why would you use such a cold plug??
    Yes, the threaded projection, the R6 motorcycle coils need this threaded projection, most plugs that aren't iridium or platinum in the higher heat ranges use a solid terminal on the top (at least the ones that fit the 3sgte head).

I will be using heat range 9 plugs on race gas tune (28-30psi) and heat range 8 on pump gas tune (~18-20psi). The car isn't a daily driver so wont see frequent cold starts. I also intend to change out the plugs at every oil change. If I have any huge issues with fouling I will go to a hotter plug or change from an unprojected to a projected tip plug. I don't suspect any issues though. I have a high output ignition system that would probably manage to burn through all but the most saturated of mixtures.

Were you looking for a COP w/ built in ignitor or just a straight coil? This is for use on your MR2 race car you had parked out front your shop today or another vehicle?

the length from top of cam cover to top of plug is 76mm. I have tried 1ZZ & 2ZZ and both are miles too long and cant be shortened I have also tried one that I think came of a Camry V6, and its also mile too long.
    I'm looking for one with in-built igneter, but as I'm driving it with a Motec, I have lots of choices
    this will be going into a Gen3 turbo engine going into the SW20 race car

Okay, well these coils are near perfect fit, however, they dont run a built in ignitor so you'd have to purchase some sort of ignition box. M&W, Autronic or similar CDI box may be on the books?

If you want Terry I can bring the car down sometime so you can have a look at these coils.

I cant help with COP style coils with built in ignitors unfortunately. Aren't these generally found to be fairly unreliable as the ignitor doesn't like seeing too much heat? I think I saw it mentioned somewhere in this thread but have you had a look at the caldina items?

gen 3 must be the odd one out then. Just measured a ST215 motor and they're 69mm from tip of plug to top of cover. 1ZZFE coil pack fitted nicely there too.

As for the unreliability of these coils. The nissan ones maybe... Being Darlington and dumb they are easy to kill from poor wiring and bad ecu settings. The toyota ones however, have been great. I've fitted hundreds and zero failures to date - not bad for second hand parts.

thanks anthony, where do you get "hundreds" of used 1ZZ coil-on-plug units?? I recently had to replace 1 and phoned all over the place, before I bought a new one from Toyota.

The ST215 is a Gen3 engine, so I'm a bit confused--how did you fit a COP unit thats almost 140mm long in there???

I agree, the nissan RB/SR units are a known source of problems. The coils are buried deep under a cover and the igniter box sits on top of cam cover.

james, thanks for offer. I'll see how I go, but if you are driving nearbye, pls stop in
    Last edited by terryo; 14-09-2008 at 01:13 PM.

Yeah I meant more the coil and igniter on plug re: the nissan stuff. late rb25, s15 etc...

I understand an ST215 motor is technically a gen 3 as well but as it has some significant differences I leave "gen 3" as meaning ST205 or late SW20 only (ie distributor based motors).

I am not sure where you are measuring from, maybe they're 140mm overall but I can tell you that a 1ZZFE coil fits nicely. The mounting holes even line up with the bosses on the ST215 cover.