Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3SGTE coil on plug conversion

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 3SGTE coil on plug conversion

140mm is the distance from under the rubber cam cover seal to the end of the rubber sleeve down where it covers the sparkplug. . I have a 2ZZ one in my hand and I was sure the 1ZZ was the same, but I'll check. overall length is much greater.
    what is the Toyota # on the 1ZZFE COP unit you reckon have fitted hundreds of, and how much can you get me 4 good used ones for (with plugs)??
    thanks a lot

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

No need to check, 2ZZ are quite a bit longer than 1ZZ

Also no need to use language like "you reckon". Im just trying to answer your question with first hand experience, after taking the time to try a 1ZZ coil in an ST215 motor. Not just guess... The pictured gen 2 was built early 2003 and Ive used the coils ever since on many jobs.

Used 1ZZFE coils are $350 per set of 4 with plugs.
    Last edited by Anthony; 14-09-2008 at 08:44 PM.

You can get 4 coils on a 1ZZ crate motor with plugs for $800, I bet you'd sell the motor off for $600 - 700.

I've been eyeing these off for a while, seem like a great price for new parts, OBX make some decent gear and some dud gear too, so its hard to know if they're any good without first hand experience.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...QQcmdZViewItem

Just food for thought.

umop apisdn Chief Engine Builder twentyEight's Avatar

A mate here in Melb bought his 1ZZ coils for $40 each from Toyospares...
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Green '77 RA28 Celica - VVTi V8 Goodness...

thanks guys,.
    no offence meant anthony

2sc Breaker!!!! Backyard Mechanic bmxer54's Avatar

I'm planning on building up a gen 2 3sge and running cop and carbs,
    i found the Autronic 500R CDI but the though crossed my mind that the 1zz already would have something to trigger the coils which could be easily+cheaply obtainable from a wrecking yard,

EDIT: triggered from ecu, damn, guess I gotta save some coin for the autronic then.

old thead i know but thought it to be an appropriate place to ask

Cheers,Peter
    Last edited by bmxer54; 18-07-2014 at 11:26 PM.
    My Rides:
    1x Brown St141 corona csx. powered by a gen 2 3sge, 1x RT142 turbo 1UZ, cd009 and G series, 1x Gj Sigma Scorpion injected and turbo'd, 1x KE30 2TG, w58 and F truetrac, 1x RT104 18RG, w58 and F truetrac

no points in the distributor. you young fellers out there might have to go to a museum to see that ignition system these days. oh I remember when........

have you looked at any msd ignition kits/modules like the dis2 or an I.C.E ignition system, wont run anything but spark but that sounds like what you want. buying an ecu would be more(money/install time/unused or un-need'd input out puts) then you need for just timeing alone and modifying a factory ecu will be a pita if you don't trick out the sensors correctly it will go into limp mode and affect advance/retard maps.

you can run trigger pick ups G- G+ and 2signal earths from distributor just make sure what ever you get accepts a negative trailing trigger and run waste spark with ls1/ls7 coils both cheap and effective in waste spark. you cant run sequencial any way unless you put in a crank angle sensor. and as long as the coil you select has less then 7ms dwell time your laughing. ls1 coil packs come in at 5ms, I did the math for this yonks ago and remember those two figures standing out.

good luck sounds like nice idea to carbie an efi motor.
    if you look on ebay.co.uk I think you can find quad trumpet inlets to suit, remember comeing across them a while ago and thinking would be cool to see them on

The Evil Director Backyard Mechanic jfallen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmxer54 View Post
    I'm planning on building up a gen 2 3sge and running cop and carbs,
    Also Planning on getting a huge fine from the Po, po. Unless it's for track only, don't do it.
    Past rides: 86 Hilux, 3x ke55 rollas's (2coupes,) 5th Gen GT4 x2, RA28, TA22 x3, KE10, P610 datto, RT40 corona x3, RT132, MX13

Currrent: , CA-A22 Celica living life as a Sports Sedan, 2000model ST215W Caldina GT-T manual, RT40 corona.

Quote Originally Posted by jfallen View Post
    Also Planning on getting a huge fine from the Po, po. Unless it's for track only, don't do it.
    huge fine for what??? doing an engine conversion??? specialy in to an earlier 80's Toyota or something like that... the cops wont even look twice for starters and as long as its blue plated its all good.

does any one actually read the adr's and local vehical conversion regulations befor they take on a project I know its not kohsher but can save a lot of wasted money and time having to re-do work not to spec, and you would actually be surprised whats allowed and whats not allowed as well as why not E.G. lifting bonnet hinges removes the hooks that catch the bonnet to prevent it going through the front wind shield and decapitating people in the front seat and for no other reason dispite it looking stupid as well as haveing no bennafit to cooling engine bay temps. it has nothing to do with letting fire through the gap and up the windscreen or any other urban myth that your mates came to beleave because of a hunch.

adr's and conversion specs are like taxation advice talk to an expert don't just go on the crap your mates tell you

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia stidnam's Avatar

carbs on efi engine? Hello EPA fines

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Personally I am not a fan of the Toyota COP. They use a lot of current to trigger them and I have my doubts about high boost with them. I run Daewoo Lanos 1999 coil packs in all my conversions (done heaps). Its a single unit with 2 coils and ignitors built in. Sensitive inputs, fast 1.5ms-2.5ms charging, can spark over 2 inches, 9500rpm no problems, 30psi+ no problems.

The plan is to use a 2sc block and therefore still the stock engine for an st141 corona. still with a carburetor, just want to move away from abusing the firewall to fit a dizzy.
    I guess the real question is: can i run a gen 2 3sge using the cam angle sensor as 1 input and a 2000+ 5sfe oil pump with crank angle sensor to run sequential ignition using COP and what sort of hardware would i need to do such a thing?

Cheers,
    Peter
    My Rides:
    1x Brown St141 corona csx. powered by a gen 2 3sge, 1x RT142 turbo 1UZ, cd009 and G series, 1x Gj Sigma Scorpion injected and turbo'd, 1x KE30 2TG, w58 and F truetrac, 1x RT104 18RG, w58 and F truetrac

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Doesnt the 2SC block have smaller bores then 3S?
    My 3SGTE fitted without touching the firewall by running after market ECU with multicoil and using the dissy (with no cap) as the CAS. (didnt use the 5SFE cas). The 3S dissy has 3 sensors (2xTDC and 1x24 tooth position)
    Also, the 5SFE crank belt pulley has a different number of teeth to 3S pulleys as the cam wheel has a different number. You cant use a 5SFE crank belt pulley with a 3S head. You need a Beams pulley (which Toyota does sell) if you want to use a crank sensor.
    There is some minor differences between the ST141 pickup and sump, and the SR40g pickup and sump. I have used both, but spun a bearing when I used the ST141 stuff (not sure why).

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by samkaos View Post
    Personally I am not a fan of the Toyota COP. They use a lot of current to trigger them and I have my doubts about high boost with them. I run Daewoo Lanos 1999 coil packs in all my conversions (done heaps). Its a single unit with 2 coils and ignitors built in. Sensitive inputs, fast 1.5ms-2.5ms charging, can spark over 2 inches, 9500rpm no problems, 30psi+ no problems.
    Both Harreh and I have had issues with 1zz coilpacks dying or misfiring on our 4AGTE setups. Both running moderately high boost (17-20psi). Also heard from fandio up in QLD having spark blowout issues on 1zz coils at fairly moderate boost levels too. On Harreh and my engine we were using 2.5-3ms dwell on wasted spark, which by all accounts is supposed to be fine for them.

There don't seem to be any aftermarket high performance options for the 1zz coilpack, which kinda surprises me considering their popularity for turbo conversions in the us and uk.
    Last edited by trdee; 30-07-2014 at 02:03 PM.
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

yes the 2s has an 84 mm bore. but by using a 3s crank rods and pistons in a 2s block bored out 2mm aswell as the head obviously i can have a std engine on rego papers though not quite standard by any means. i realise this is a 3sgte thread so i may start a new thread elsewhere. but from what i have gathered from mosty of you is that 1zzfe coils will be fine on a 3sge and only run into issues when boost is added

Cheers, Peter
    My Rides: