Thread: Car cuts out after thrashing...

drunken escapades Conversion King fatboy13's Avatar

Default Car cuts out after thrashing...

Ive taken my car for a few drives to check on things and such before i get it regoed... and ive found that almost everytime i give it a bit..... that once i back off and then go to get back on the accelerator the car cuts out and almost stalls as though there is no fuel getting through... after a while it comes good again.... what could be causing this??
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ
    watching a bunch of supraforums members try to debate something technical is like watching a bunch of retards try to fuck a doorknob...

apprentice pwnerer Grease Monkey phrostbyte's Avatar

Default Re: Car cuts out after thrashing...

Is is EFI or carby? If EFI yes it could be a fuel pump problem, seeing as it comes good after a bit, it would seem it's not building up to required PSI fast enough.

If carby then again it could be a problem with the mechanical pump, or I think there is a float in the carby itself to regulate how much fuel sits in the carby ready for use, if the carby is becoming empty, it would take a few seconds for it to fill up to an optimal level again.

Kev.
    RIP Kev. You'll be missed.

Old worklog of the last 2 KE70s (long since updated): http://ke70.theicy.net/
    Current AE71 4AGE Daily Driver (Soon to undergo AE86 front end and rear bumper!!: [COLOR=Blue][url]http://www.toymods.net

its EFI... its a 7MGTE... with a VL Turbo fuel pump... a pre pump and a surgetank... any ideas on how to fix it???
    watching a bunch of supraforums members try to debate something technical is like watching a bunch of retards try to fuck a doorknob...

apprentice pwnerer Grease Monkey phrostbyte's Avatar

Is the fuel pump brand new? Could use a replacement if not, those things tend to die quickly if second hand...

Kev.
    RIP Kev. You'll be missed.

Old worklog of the last 2 KE70s (long since updated): http://ke70.theicy.net/
    Current AE71 4AGE Daily Driver (Soon to undergo AE86 front end and rear bumper!!: [COLOR=Blue][url]http://www.toymods.net

Junior Member Carport Converter SL666's Avatar

- not knowing much about 7m's are they MAP or AFM? check the port the MAP sensor is on?

check the TPS for appropriate values?

does it blow a puff of black smoke or anything?

Junior Member Grease Monkey

had a very similar problem with my old ke70, cut out after a period of high fuel use (i.e. thrashing or heavy engine load up hill) - turned out to be a blockage in the fuel lines between tank and filter. took filter off and blew compressed air through fuel line back into tank and problem solved.

hope this helps

Roll Ons? Carport Converter Endless's Avatar

One of my friends has the same problem with his FC, trying to work out what it is ... seems to be running farken rich too cause you can see the black smoke puff out when you rev it and also it has a big dirty patch on the back of the car.

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

Unfortunately you own a 7M, which regularly suffer from reliability issues.

Seriously though, it will either be a fuel issue or a vacuum issue. Have a listen in the engine bay - are there any foreign sucking sounds (oh the jokes I could make about foreign sucking!)... if so you have a vacuum leak and that's stuffing up idle.

Try also disconnecting the throttle position sensor - I'm 99.9% sure it should run fine without it, but if the TPS is the problem then having it disconnected should alleviate the problem.

If you have access to another 7M then try swapping AFMs (I assume they are AFM per the 7MGTE and the atmo Ms I've played with).

Touching Automotive Encyclopaedia Aust162's Avatar

Sounds like a vacc,boost leak.I reckon its a boost leak because it happens when you floor it (ie.under boost). have u got a guage?your vacc should read around 20mg at idle.

Also check to see if it's blowing lots of black smoke.black smoke usually means ovefueling,possibly because of an air leak.

As shifty said, poke your head around the engine bay while its idling and see if you can hear any hissing noises.

Check all clamps on the intercooler piping (check the core too, it might be cracked or damaged) are tight. Also check the piping coming from the throttle body to the AFM. make sure this pipe is 100% air tight. look for cracks in the black rubber piping thingy.
    *hearts* his 4age powered KE70 Panelvan!
    Hi, Im enthused about corollas..

thanks for the ideas... im about to go muck around so ill let you know what happens...