Thread: Hilux choice- for future lpg turbo 1jz/3rz

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Hilux choice- for future lpg turbo 1jz/3rz

Hi all

I've been doing some research for a project I'd like to do and I'd appreciate some Toymodder input.

I want to build a dual cab 4x4 hilux, run it on lpg (injected if I can afford it) and have it be turbo/ supercharged. The goal is to have a capable 4x4 which is cheap to run, happy enough on long distances (with extra power for overtaking) and comfortable to drive around the city for work.

The engine work will most likely be my Capstone project at Uni (I study Mechatronics) and I will do loads of development in order to achieve good power and economy. Engine mods to increase efficiency and alter torque curve to suit the application.

I have a 1jz in pieces in the garage awaiting rebuild.

So my question is- what base to start from? Here's my thoughts so far.

5vz hilux- pros: has r150 gearbox, mounts 1jz with soarer r154 bell housing. Probably the candidate of choice if I go 1jz. Cons: not sure if it can be engineered, early engine in late model car. I think it should be alright if I can match the 5vz emissions standard. Also 1jz low rpm torque not ideal. Snapped CVs if not carefull.

3rz hilux- bolt on turbo/ supercharger (maybe sc14 with clutch). Pros: less fab work, easier to engineer. Cons: 3rz is a bit agricultural compared with a Jz, not sure of gearbox strength.

Now I've really only considered 10y/o hiluxes, the IFS models for better on road manners (mostly do city driving, I'm not aiming to make it a 4wd comp truck) but an older live axle model would free up some money (lower initial cost) for extra mods.

Other info- I'm a competent fabricator, have a few CAD skills and have a trade in electronics. My budget to start with is 12k ish.

Which base model would you suggest? Any common pitfalls, problems with these vehicles I should check?

Barely Legal Backyard Mechanic EnFlaMEd's Avatar

Default Re: Hilux choice- for future lpg turbo 1jz/3rz

I saw that, very tempting- it would pretty much lock me in to the 1jz route though. I wonder how much installation would cost from an installer? can it be DIYed or does it have to be installed by a LPG fitter?

do you think 1jz> 3RZ for a 4wd application?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hendo View Post
    5vz hilux- pros: has r150 gearbox, mounts 1jz with soarer r154 bell housing. Probably the candidate of choice if I go 1jz. Cons: not sure if it can be engineered, early engine in late model car. I think it should be alright if I can match the 5vz emissions standard. Also 1jz low rpm torque not ideal. Snapped CVs if not carefull.
    That one
    Can get it engineered, will have to meet 2005 emissions, which, shouldn't be a massive task.

well really a hilux with a 1kz or the new d4d motor will do everything you need and be economical Then you can inject LPG into the diesel and get even more economy and power out of it!

But if you are keen on choosing between the 1jz and and 3rz I would go the 1jz because 6cyl, 2500cc and they can be pretty grunty down low with the factory turbos which you will want with cruising, towing and 4x4ing. Plus they already come turbocharged and have a reasonable amount of aftermarket support. You can always fit it with upgraded CVs too. You can get everything off the shelf for hiluxes

Thanks for the quick replies. It seems the 5vz model is the way to go, though I'd still like to hear more opinions on the 3rz. Enflamed- I did consider a 4d4/1kz but I'm really interested in the engine development with alternative fuels; because I believe we're underutilising Australia's gas resources for our own purposes and I can see possibler expansion of the auto industry in this regard.
    From what I've read, LPG (propane/butane) lends itself to high compression engines running boost, while being economical and environmentally friendly. Let's see what we can do!

Forum Contributor Domestic Engineer

My vote would be for a 3RZ model. They are a bit older and cheaper as most people look for the 1KZ or V6 models second hand. It is quite a compact motor, with heaps of room left in a hilux engine bay, compared with a straight 6 where firewall / radiator clearance becomes an issue. They are very torquey down low, and although obviously not a 300kw capable engine straight out of the box like a 1JZ, they are pretty stout, and hot up part availability is pretty good. The fact that the component count is also low compared with a 6 pot could be an advantage as well.

I'd love to see a water injected eaton M90 spinning a nice, slow and easy 10ish psi into one for some low end ballsey fun!

The knock resistance of LPG is higher than that of of 98 unleaded, though it obviously depends on the accuracy of the fuel delivery to make the most of it. I've seen quite a few really crude suck through gas - turbo setups on dirty red motors and ford 250's and they seemed to last ok whilst making decent numbers for what they were.
    MA71 - 7MGTE - 340RWHP

Hey box
    The 3rz model has its advantages as you stated, my aim is about 200 kw ATW, would that be about the limit for the w57 (or is it w56?) gearbox?
    As far as fuel delivery goes, I'm planning on injected gas (because I wanna play around with tuning it mostly) so it should be pretty well spot on when finished (here's hoping!)

Yeah lpg is good stuff with the right setup. I used to have an fj20et which utilised a Gas Research system. 170rwkw and $25-30 a tank

If you want a really challenging project one day...hybrid turbo diesel electric engine running on biodiesel and also injected LPG LPG + Diesel is a good thing

Forum Contributor Domestic Engineer

Whether the gearbox lasts depends on how you use those 200kw. There is plenty of people on here who have killed W58's with shitty 5ME's, but there are also those around that have them survive behind 300kw JZ engines.
    There is a few people on here with reasonably serious 3RZ's in everything from hilux's and corollas, so could be worth checking what they've done both engine, and gearbox wise.
    MA71 - 7MGTE - 340RWHP

Quote Originally Posted by boxh34d View Post
    Whether the gearbox lasts depends on how you use those 200kw. There is plenty of people on here who have killed W58's with shitty 5ME's, but there are also those around that have them survive behind 300kw JZ engines.
    You would be hard pressed to kill one with a 5ME/7MGE (and assuming we are talking about a W58 not an earlier box) as you don't have the torque to do it, I tried with my Cressida and no matter how many clutch kicks I gave it, it wouldn't fail. 1JZGTE's are a bit different but with a good box, stock-ish boost, forgiving clutch and some mechanical sympathy they will take it. Torque is what seems to kill W58's, normally 3rd gear goes.

Cressidaspert Carport Converter andrew_mx83's Avatar

My old 7m-ge ate 4 (or 5, i forget) W boxes, mostly 55's i think but im sure there was at least 1 w58 in there.
    I remember munching 1 previously good box in a single night after multiple hard launches playing with a mates q45 infinity. Had another explode spectacularly all over the road as i hit 2nd pretty hard.

Button clutch + sticky rear tyres give no farks for lack of torque :-)
    There is no substitute for PUBIC inches

Never late in an x8

Like GTHO's, fucking lot more W58's out there than Toyota ever made......
    In MKIV Supra behind a 2JZGE they are known to take plenty of P plate abuse, like I said, your going to hard pressed to break one.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_mx83 View Post
    Button clutch + sticky rear tyres give no farks for lack of torque :-)
    No, just a shit dodgy box that probably did 300,000km in a Hilux.