Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Abuse of reputation system

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

Default Re: Abuse of reputation system

River is a sterling example of someone who doesn't earn rep for sly, witty, underhanded comments.

Pff, as if - he's like Obi Wan up in this deathstar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

One possible flaw there is things like the CCDT, where there is often information that is either not seen in the Tech thread (due to the number of threads there), or never posted there, but there is a captive audience who is grateful for the useful tech info. Being a non-tech thread, you won't be able to get rep for the tech you post there. Perhaps we should look at a way of branching out the tech section into different models, ie one for Corolla, one for Celica, one for Crown, one for Cressida, one for Supra, one for MA70 (maybe this should be put in non-car related/outhouse ) etc etc. This way somebody coming onto the forum who wants to quickly research the model of vehicle they have don't need to wade through endless threads to find it. There should also be a general tech section for things like "what's the best brand of deep cycle batter" etc.

Just a thought??
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

what is ccdt?

if you mean having a different section for each model of car in the tech section then i think that is an awesome idea.

you could even move the particular general car thread to that section too and free up a lot of room.

CCDT = Classic Celica Dedicated Thread

It is the standard repository for all information about 70-77 Celicas, and just a generally cool place to hang out
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

It's posts like these that no amount of instruction, rep or any other information can prevent:

droppn donk

Empowering people to utilise a system laid out before them is like pushing shit up hill with a thin stick sometimes.
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

Good example YLD... wonder how he will go with -8 rep trying to sell that thing??
    Cheers, Owen

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia SillyCarS's Avatar

lmfao oman

good one mate

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

the problem (mentioned before) with dedicated threads, and dedicated tech areas for each car, is that it is divisive, and only encourages people to stay in their little niche area only.
    This is not conducive to a TOYOTA community.. only to, for example, a corolla community, or a celica community.

there are already dedicated car clubs, and people that organise events for dedicated cars aroudn the country, (ie, spoontahs, old celicas, old rollas (that no-one ever turns up to ) ) but TOYMODS is abotu a technical community for TOYOTA enthusiasts... not just celica enthusaists or whatever....

there is a balance between keeping a community together, and providing space for specific models.
    i don't think splitting the tech section into different car models will be of benefit to the toymods car club. (imho)

as it is, the dedicated threads often border on plain old chat threads.. and there are other mediums you can use instead of the forum for that.. ie MSN etc. but most dedicated threads already have a lot of tech info in them.. BUT. it gets lost in the dribble, and no-one seems to be willing to summarise the useful info..... so then same questions get asked again and again.

i think it should be the responsibility of the dedicated thread kiddies to maintain a summary thread of technically useful information. hopefulyl this can be provided for and enforced on the new forum. ie.. maybe a section for "summary of dedicated model specific information", which is updated by one or a couple of specified members. ie, not an open thread. a compendium of information fromt he dedicated threads, or information in general on a specific model.

if people are worried about space, then these summary threads can stay and perhaps the "dedicated threads" get deleted when they reach 5000 posts or 10,000 posts or something.... that way, people don't have to keep searching thru 100, 200, or 500 pages just to find something simple 8which most people don7t do anyway, and just ask new question)....

Quote Originally Posted by PeeJ
    why cant i rep someone for amusing comments?
    if someone says something that makes me laugh i want to encourage it and give them rep, i will just find a random post in the tech section and give them rep linking it to their funny comment.
    why should they have an increased reputation just because they make a funny?
    perhaps your idea of TOYMODS is just a place to hang out and talk crap and pissfart about, but that is not the main goal of TOYMODS as a club.
    (sometimes i wanna rep people for funnies as well, but i only do so where the funny has some benefit to the situation.. not just random crap.. there are plenty of random crap funny sites on teh intahnet already...)
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Party Animal Supreme Too Much Toyota MR 1JZ's Avatar

stew have you ever been repped for something in the off topic section?

if you are gonna parade around on your high horse maybe you should request an admin remove every bit of rep you have received from the off topic section...

PS I have number 4 biggest e-peen on this forum
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    Evo 5 - The silver fruitbox
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    i think it should be the responsibility of the dedicated thread kiddies to maintain a summary thread of technically useful information. hopefulyl this can be provided for and enforced on the new forum. ie.. maybe a section for "summary of dedicated model specific information", which is updated by one or a couple of specified members. ie, not an open thread. a compendium of information fromt he dedicated threads, or information in general on a specific model.
    This is a good idea. It is sort of being put in practice by River with a CCD Index, linking useful CC related tech threads. I believe he put it to the board to make it a sticky, but was denied. Personally I would reckon an index as such for each interest group would be great, and they could be kept in an Index subfolder of the Tech section, with either a moderator, or a duly appointed representative (if there is no moderator in that interest group) being the only person allowed to post in that thread.

Just a suggestion.
    Cheers, Owen

i have a very low horse
    yes i have got rep for stupid comments in off-topic, and it would be good if they were removed

i still reckon it is better to promote a technical car club.. than an offtopic non-car forum... there are plenty of other forums you can spout shit and get e-humped for it... like PF for instance

can rep whores even have peens? maybe e-peens
    if rep wasn't dislpayed as a number then it would be less of an issue.

btw, i care not for rep, as a paying member of toymods CAR CLUB, rep means nothing to me... but i like to get comments and thanks from people i help out ie a rep comment is more convenient as a way of quickly thanking someone, without the effort of sending a PM (and filling up their inbox)
    limiting rep dished out is one way.. maybe leave it to +/-10 as max?
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    This is a good idea. It is sort of being put in practice by River with a CCD Index, linking useful CC related tech threads. I believe he put it to the board to make it a sticky, but was denied. Personally I would reckon an index as such for each interest group would be great, and they could be kept in an Index subfolder of the Tech section, with either a moderator, or a duly appointed representative (if there is no moderator in that interest group) being the only person allowed to post in that thread.

Just a suggestion.
    i think that is good idea.. this also transfers responsibility of maintaining it as a resource to the forum members who use it, as opposed to lumping the board and mods with more tasks.
    the "carrot" is that they will have an awesome summarised resource for finding information quickly...
    the "stick" should be deletion of threads after a certain length of time (or offsite archiving? if ppl feel the need), so that a) the summaries are actualyl done, and b) reduces space and load of server.
    cos really the dedicated threads are made up of tech stuff, and chat, and dribble. the tech stuff should be kept, the dribble can be deleted, and the chat deleted after a while, or archived by it's members if it is deemed useful.
    heck, if they feel the need they can add a post of "greatest hits" chat comments to the summary thread.....

i guess this view is a bit discouraging for people who just want to come onto toymods to chat and crap on... but.. thats how it is intended
    if you really wanna chat.. farkin meet up, or add eash other to MSN or yahoo messenger, or.. god forbid.. actually call on phone
    it'S fine to randomly chat in dedicated threads, but there is no need to preserve this chat.

thoughts? (i'm open to other suggestions.. and might even backflip if presented a good enough reason )

Hide Yo Kids Hide Yo Wife Carport Converter hamgatan's Avatar

given that i have a little experience now with vBulletin and running my own show over at z20soarer.org im going to pip up a bit here. i've actually been trying to disable the reputation system totally but i cant find the functions in the vBulletin Admin Control Panel to do so.

im running version 3.6.4 which is a fair bit newer than toymods version but it has provisions for the all new Infraction system. Infractions are an easier way of monitoring bad eggs as its a mods way of saying 'you're a douche... here's your yellow card'. so instead of having a cockwad like bubbles repeatedly offending. it flags who is on thin ice.

the newer versions like 3.7.2 onwards allow new features and plugins like iTrader which is a proper trader rating system for vBulletin. I believe SupraMania is running this same setup.. albeit i think their forum is actually a little cluttered with the amount of functionality sometimes. however the reputation system is far superior to previous versions where rep is not based on 'oh hes cool so i'm going to rep him'.

that said i admit ive been guilty repping people that crack me up... YLD's a perfect example of that coz hes just a cunny funt that is a cornerstone of the Toymods community. In some cases Reputation needs to mean exactly that.. how well known and respected those members are.. but on the flip side its far easier to say something funny than it is to write an essay filled with technical information. Personally while ive written complex how to's and things along the way.. i find I get no rep for doing that, but then if i say something hilarious.. i get ten people repping me.

Toymods current issue from what I can see is that the board has grown too large for the existing database to be running at full functionality. MySQL DB's require a decent amount of grunt. I currently run the setup for nearly 100 users on a shared hosting environment with PHP5 but with no issues at all (except for one or two niggly scripting problems). I'm not sure of the environment Toymods is running in at the moment, but for 10,000 users, of which 300 may be logged on at any one time.. you need at LEAST a dedicated non-virtual server with dedicated bandwidth, possibly a separate Memcache server external to the main SQL DB Box and this costs a buttload of money.

My advice here is ping everyone who joins $10 per annum. It is WORTH IT! I would personally not complain about paying $10 an annum for access to perhaps the planets biggest Toyota resource reference. Even the $40 p.a in Club fees is more than fair to me. Even if only 4000 sign up, thats $40K the club has to use on IT Infrastructure costs to maintain the kinds of bandwidth and hardware required for the day to day running of the Forums. use the inbuilt functionality of the Membership/Subscription service in vBulletin to manage it..
    Last edited by hamgatan; 28-08-2008 at 06:12 PM.
    B7 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro Turbo Keepin' My Pimp Hand Strong
    GDB 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Stock and Unmolested!
    JZZ20 1988 Soarer GT Twin Turbo
    1JZ-GTE + R154 + LSD | Black Knight Still being Assembled
    JZX90 1993 Mark II Tourer V 1JZ-GTE + A340E | 270rwhp
    Z20Soarer.Org - The definitive resource for all xZ20 Owners.

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

I-Trader I assume would be thrown around by the board (I am at least going to sugest it)

It is possible (with testing/further discussion) that ITrader could replace the rep thing. and infractions covers the "Tool" factor.

The amount of add-ins that you can crap in is huge, but for Toymods it would be based on where we are Now (as it generally works) with improvements that are deamed required for controlling the forums with minimal moderation. and without over complicating the whole forum.

Cheers
    Simon
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Aerial Superpony Domestic Engineer SeptemberSquall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    anyway, im sure you guys will come up with something that works well. This current forum was a huge step up from the previous one, and cleaned up the forums 10fold. Its easy to forget how much better the forums are now compared to what they used to be - try to keep that in perspective guys.
    yeah, but i miss:

bubbles
    cool1
    tokenblackguy
    et al
    i pulled three hundred rocks from the land to build my house
    i walked quiet through the forest like a tiny quiet forest mouse

the oceans will rise
    please stand by the shore