Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Abuse of reputation system

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Default Re: Abuse of reputation system

i agree with only showing the lights, and the rep comments that you receive.
    That way its not so much of a quantifyable E-wang.

anyway, im sure you guys will come up with something that works well. This current forum was a huge step up from the previous one, and cleaned up the forums 10fold. Its easy to forget how much better the forums are now compared to what they used to be - try to keep that in perspective guys.

Toymods is still respected as one of the best TECHNICAL car forums around - people on other forums comment on how "elitist" it is, and i think thats a good thing.

Personally, i wouldnt try to change too much - i think they are pretty good as they are now, and at most only need minor tweaking.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

Tweaking is where it is at, unless there is some major reason to do the whole reshuffle thing.
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

well I came to this site because I have grown up with Toyota's and own toyota's,

just because I haven't had the chance to bury my arms into a bucket of grease or know of crazy interchangeable oddities like ke70 window wiper washers being used as friggen piston rings in a 4ac or something, I hate to think that prevents me from certain things on the site.

What about someone who knows fuckall about cars but is a donating member? How do these restrictions and modifications to rep systems, access etc etc affect this type of user?

Ideally a post counter beneath an avatar would remove the need for rep to be attached to anything but classifieds transactions.. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Tom, I rep for a well constructed and thought out question as well as for helpful answers. If you've put in the effort to do a bit of background work then seek help I think that is rep worthy.

Callum

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Tom, if it is not rep below the post, and post count instead, people will whore it up to get a higher post count.. as happened in last forum.

as it is, almost everyone on this page has "yeah alright, we can stop counting now" for the number of posts (as the lights)..
    i also reckon no numbers is one way to reduce whoring a bit..

if there is something being counted.. there will always be some arseclown that will whore to get that count up
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

ahh, rodger.

:-)

I'm a whore, but with good intentions. Like Fiona Apple or something.
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by tomvale13
    I'm a whore, but with good intentions. Like Fiona Apple or something.
    Yeah, you're sorta like our new KingMick.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Riverina Chapter Automotive Encyclopaedia andyroo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl

Personally, i wouldnt try to change too much - i think they are pretty good as they are now, and at most only need minor tweaking.

I agree totally.. *THE COMPANY I WORK FOR is currently forcing a new system on us at the moment.. Previously the legacy systems used around 7 systems to control and modify various aspects of different systems, one of the main billing system programs is over 20 years old, the GUI is basic, imagine, matrix green characters and black backgrounds, but its fast, accessing databases thousands of kms away, its crazy just how fast it is.. Now we get this new 'all in one' program.. its slow..

Did I mention is java based?

Point is, if it aint broke, dont fix it..
    Last edited by andyroo; 27-08-2008 at 08:32 PM.
    2009 Toyota Hilux SR V6 4x4
    2000 Toyota Avalon Grande -SOLD 2014
    1985 Toyota Celica XX 1G-GTE - SOLD 2014

DIY Bloodline Domestic Engineer Talasas's Avatar

I'm inclined to agree, admittedly I don't spend as much time on here as I'd like, and nowhere near as much time as many high repped members - I've found this place to be nothing short of my ideal car forum. I love what the new forum did to establish Toymods once again and I don't feel anything is wrong with it, I never have. Majority of users here are very sensible, mature minded people and they respect the system, this is reflected by the rep system.

The ones that ruin it are the usual spammers, cheats, liars and the ones that only rep friends.

The only thing I could suggest is tightening the rules to make sure people continue to respect the forum. This however is hard to enforce and hard to arrange, e.g. what is fair.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move." -HHGG

The tractor Grease Monkey

i reckon the rep system helps me identify those who are either

a) funny or
    b) smart or
    c) full of shit

tomvale fits a and c

anti blasphemy ! Carport Converter

dam new server = no rep points as much as i dont really care that much of them ill be so sad to see them go, when i go into a job interview or meet g/f's parents im going to actuly have to try instead of telling them how many rep points i have.
    i dont have a funny or cool signature.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia HKS_TRD's Avatar

Talk about a thread hijack lol.

Thanks to the guys who gave me a helping hand with my rep

Quote Originally Posted by NORBY
    i reckon the rep system helps me identify those who are either

a) funny or
    b) smart or
    c) full of shit

tomvale fits a and c

Its hard to seperate the two.

Junior Member Grease Monkey Kroozerdave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tomvale13
    Its hard to seperate the two.

Nah, I think I can probably only do (c) with my armadillo hat on.

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by river
    Hi,

You'll have to PM us (probably Kirsty is the best one to sort this out) with the details so we can check the offending threads, etc.

Personally, I can't wait until we get the forums moved across to the new server and with the latest version of software, so we can remove all rep, plus and minus, from the Non Car Discussion area, as this is where most people seem to get their rep - usually for witty or amusing comments, instead of technical input.

seeyuzz
    river
    why cant i rep someone for amusing comments?

if someone says something that makes me laugh i want to encourage it and give them rep, i will just find a random post in the tech section and give them rep linking it to their funny comment.