Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Abuse of reputation system

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

Default Re: Abuse of reputation system

Members rides would be classed as tech I'd imagine, This is usually where I find all the good info.

As far as Rep in the Outhouse, Limiting it may be an option if the software allows it. but it would be like +/- 1 as this is by far where most of the rep is generated. Usually for unwarranted reasons.

Whilst seeing the rep of a user (particularly for new users when deciding weather the information is accurate or not) is somewhat important. the setup, I assume that will be decided by the board will be based around tech info. hopefully a classifieds rep, but will be limited to stop abuse of the system. so it isn't so much a marker of e-dick size.

Abuse of the system will always happen, neg repping for some random reason like not replying to a thread that you have forgotten about, or revenge repping or buddy repping will probably keep happening. but the childish users that do this will probably stand out alot more.

Remains to be seen as the transfer occurs

Cheers
    Simon
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

Here's hoping the software is riddled with limitations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer dfunkt's Avatar

would it be possible to have 2 different sets of rep? one for info, the other for buying/selling?
    Owner of the Big Red Whale

Quote Originally Posted by Stomps
    "i cant eat this because its too spicy" "i cant eat that because it has green stuff in it" "i cant eat that because its chilli soup with Blair's Ultra Death Sauce in it"... winge winge winge...

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

I wonder what, if any difference we would see in the forums with no rep system??

In the tech section if someone posts complete BS or rubbish info someone more knowledgable is usually on to it pretty quick and its cleared up, sort of negating the need for rep as such due to the informal "peer review" process that occurs.

I can see the potential for a small flood of cut and paste tech articles occuring as those who feel the need to gain rep scrabble for points on the new system, it occured on this current forum when it began. It'll probably happen again too, not an issue though just entertaining to watch people do it.
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lambolica
    Members rides would be classed as tech I'd imagine, This is usually where I find all the good info.

Cheers
    Simon
    are you talking forum members rides or club members rides as there is quite a discrepancy in the quality of information between the two.
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

Quote Originally Posted by MR22ZZ
    are you talking forum members rides or club members rides as there is quite a discrepancy in the quality of information between the two.
    Word on the street is the club members ones have way more shit talk in them
    My KE25 thread

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

^^^ this is what I was getting at
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

It is true that some of the club members rides thread make the dedicated *A70 thread look full of valuable information, but what happens in Vegas....

The rep system it self is there to assist (in a small way) the moderators, but it is also a marker to attain for the full rights to the classifieds. This is the stumbling block, stopping the forums from being a free classifieds, but also being fair to the new toyota community members that may become valued users in the future. It may be that rep can be done away with and replaced with a seller rep, and any other "reputation" attached to the user may come from a combination of post count from the tech sections only and time as user.

The configurations that can be used are extensive, but ultimatly the aim is the people with the knowledge and ablilty to use it in the tech sections will be rewarded, those that rarely go into the tech section, may never register any reputation.

I do have to state for the record however that I am not fully up on what the new version of the software can and can't do. I'm looking at the way that other similar forums are adopting the usage (separate buyer/seller and tech reputations)

Cheers
    Simon

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia SillyCarS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tomvale13
    that will be a dark day for tomvale13, I shall have to resort to half naked lady pics to inflate my e-peen.
    ba-dum-tish

touche..

(oh and +rep on ya buddy )

it is also a marker to attain for the full rights to the classifieds.
    Problem is, like any diverse community, peoples area of knowledge and expertise is varied. So you can end up limiting someone who might be a great forum member and/or great club member simply because they have no technical knowledge. Not sure if that is the aim??

Any thought been given to a nominal fee for access to classifieds? Might be too much work to manage though or not possible due to the clubs financial status??

Plenty to think about anyway and hats off to the board for all their work in maintaining the forums. It's the only forum I am a member of, why would I go anywhere else
    My KE25 thread

User Conversion King

the rep system needs a cap of 50.

50 is all thats needed to demonstrate the user isnt a tool and/or here to sell shit

newbies have 1pt power and people with 50rep have power to give out 2 points.

simple and easy IMHO.
    hello

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

take that, authority!

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Problem is, like any diverse community, peoples area of knowledge and expertise is varied. So you can end up limiting someone who might be a great forum member and/or great club member simply because they have no technical knowledge. Not sure if that is the aim??

Any thought been given to a nominal fee for access to classifieds? Might be too much work to manage though or not possible due to the clubs financial status??

Plenty to think about anyway and hats off to the board for all their work in maintaining the forums. It's the only forum I am a member of, why would I go anywhere else
    Yeah, it is finding this balance that takes the time. The Club is here to provide a place to learn, so people do need to be around to ask the odd dumb question to trigger a flow of information that may not otherwise surface. The clubs aims are all tech based and the other aim is not to be like Boost cruising or hot4s. Since this forum has come online the quality of info is becomming really good.

Sadly trolls, postwhores, keyboard warriers are part and parcel to forums, Somthing I have been noticing lately is not how to make those contributors stand out (as they generally do that themselves) but how to deal with the others that don't activly contribute but have High post counts. An interesting thought would be if users Lost rep everytime they posted in non tech sections automatically.

I can tell you that previous discussions are long and argumentitive at the board meetings and generally finding that fairness is the base aim. But every time you add another ingreidient to the mix (say classifides access) the rules change.

Limiting the ultimate number of reputation (or displaying the lights only) may be a good option if possible.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

. An interesting thought would be if users Lost rep everytime they posted in non tech sections automatically.
    oooh that sounds like a fun idea
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

I know.......