Thread: 1GGEU to 1GGZE GA61 Conversion

Low rep

Default 1GGEU to 1GGZE GA61 Conversion

Hey Guys, i am new to the forums, and I have recently purchased a GA61/XX from one of the guys on here.

supplied with the car was a 1GGZE which i plan on installing with some help from some friends. Now before you all hound me and tell me to search i have, but i still have a few questions.

Basically, i understand that it should all be relatively simple and pretty much a straight forward swap, but i also know that this is never the case for a first time converter like myself.

So obviousely the new engine is going to have a few extra apendages and therefore i am wondering if i am going to have any clearance issues.

and my other question is just any guidance through some humps i may need to overcome in the process and any experience or knowledge anyone can also share would be awesome.

alternatively, if i have missed a blatently obviouse guide to this conversion please feel free to verbally slap me and direct me to such.

Thanks in advance guys.
    Gareth.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Default Re: 1GGEU to 1GGZE GA61 Conversion

There's miles of room in your engine bay. People have put 2JZ's, 1UZ's and even 1GZ's in these things without clearance issues, so any variety of 1G will be zero problems.

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Any 1G will be about the simplest engine conversion ever. Everything will clear with miles of room, and you can use all factory mounts etc.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Hey guys, i will be one of the guys helping Gareth with this conversion.

Does all this mean there will be no need to touch the fuel systems, cooling systems, clutch etc etc. it will all just bolt together like lego. ...that would be nice.

also, the 1ggeu that is in the car at the moment, is not running properly and everything on that has been changed except for the ignitor, so i am pretty sure this is the culprit.
    - symptoms with old motor - will start (like a pig) and idle...(sometimes)...but as soon as it you start to rev the little sucker/put load on. the engine dies. if you plant your foot, the engine will not respond at all, and almost die in the ass, but if you rev it gently and slowly (with no load) it will pick up the revs.....have swapped the AFM, TPS, OXygen sensor (was brand new when we got it...assuming it works) spark plugs, leads, (each plug is getting a spark, at idle/when turning over)

all in all the concept was to stop wasting time on that heap and drop the new engine in, so my question is, does anyone have an ignitor for a 1GGZE to purchase so as to cover all bases. (the ignitor is basically the only thing the other engine didnt come with).

Cheers, Jamie

Fuel system doesn't *need* to be changed (mine ran on a factory pump for ages) but it's best to. Replacement Walbro pumps are like $200, cheap insurance.

Cooling system is fine for a GTE or GZE, just get the radiator itself cleaned, again, cheap insurance.

The 1GGEU clutch should be the same size as a Gen1/2 1GGTE clutch. Get it rebuild with a heavy duty clutch plate unless you like changing a slipping clutch Mine cost ~$400 and never faulted me.

Wiring is pretty simple. I followed Andy's 7MGTE wiring, it's floating around the net somewhere. It's slightly different. I made a small plug near the fuse box to plug into, and another 12 pin plug for all the in dash stuff. Made it heaps easier and meant I could unplug the loom if need be.

in dash stuff....are you reffering to guages (temp etc)....wouldnt it be easier to use the old wires from the 1ggeu harness.,,for the in dash stuff..or does that just get too messy.

is the 7mgte wiring similiar is it.....did not know that. coool.

cheers

One of the plugs on the factory loom plugs into the dash loom near the ECU. The has stuff wired up for the dash. You'd plug into the existing gauge wiring through that, although the tacho will require some sort of booster circuit. The 1GGTE/GZE wiring loom has a similar plug, but with more pins on it such as...

The AFM fuel pump trigger wire. The trigger on the 1GGEU runs through the guard to the circuit opening relay in the drivers footwell, whereas on the 1GGTE (and I'd assume the GZE is the same) it runs through the engine loom. This just means you'll have to run a wire across yourself from the dash plug.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

I'd suggest getting the 1GGEU running properly first, and then do the conversion.

Purely because if the problem isn't directly related to the 1GGEU (ie, the fuel pump is dodgy, there are corroded wires elsewhere causing the issue, something along those lines), then the problem will still be there when you go to start the GZE and you'll spend hours chasing the problem (which you will think is related to your wiring, even though it may not be).

Just a suggestion.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

cheers for that JCMO.

you make a good point Peewee, which i guess returns me to my previous question, does anyone have an ignitor lying around that will work with the 1ggeu.

its not the fuel pump, (new one installed when we got it) does anyone know what else could cause the issue......

cheers

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

I tihnk the 5MGE runs the same ignitor?

Do you have the part number from it ?
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

will that be the same as the 5me.....if so i will compare part numbers when we have a look at it next. cheers.

i read somewhere, that ignitors tend to either work or not work and rarely have an in between, is this usually the case...