Thread: 1JZGTE VVTi/IS200 cutting out on load?

Forum Member

Default 1JZGTE VVTi/IS200 cutting out on load?

Hey guys, got an interesting one for the tech-heads here as Im getting pretty stumped.

Essentially Ive banged a JZX100 1JZGTE VVTi eng/loom/auto ecu with W58 into my Altezza/IS200. Everything works fine, no drama there.

However Im getting a hard cut under load, which of course feels just like the factory boost cut.
    Here are some basics:

10psi max & consistent (checked with 2x different gauges)

WOT TPS max: 3.9volts

WOT AFM gets to 3.3volts before cut, sometimes 3.7-3.8v under wheelspin before cutting, sometimes 2.7v on half throttle at bit higher rpm. (have tried 2x other AFMs) Never touchs 4volts though.

Wideband on end of pipe shows consistent 11.1-11.3 air/fuels under full load up till cut. (same wideband usually shows 10.8-11.0s on factory JZX100s, so no concern there)

All wires tested for continuity, all good. Very simple loom, no rejoins or anything stupid. Simple wireup with ecu powers & main power plug (inj/coils) and rear speed sensor reconnected. I have swapped ECU into JZX100 and works fine/ also tried other ECU in my IS200 and still cuts out.

Plenty fuel pressure from standard JZX100 pump.The cut out is hard, not missfire,leaning, or fuel pressure drop type of cut.

Only mods are Pod filter, 3inch exhaust halfway into standard IS200 exhaust and 600x270mm FMIC. TRC disconnected, no butterfly.

When it cuts, it takes 3-4 seconds and large drop in revs to get power again. Not a power or earth cut out as diagnostics are taken from ECU and consistent when cutting.

I guess Im looking for anyone who has wired one of these into something else and maybe able to suggest something Ive missed? Or had a similar problem?

Have wired plenty of non VVti 1JZ/2JZ turbos, 1UZs, etc etc and never had a problem.

Thanks in advance..
    Last edited by nite b; 24-08-2008 at 09:19 AM.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: 1JZGTE VVTi/IS200 cutting out on load?

Traction control signals??

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

How long do you get on boost before it cuts?

Does it throw any codes?

Is it consistent with anything? Speed perhaps? Is it possible that the speedo gearing is very out and it is hitting speed cut at a much lower speed? Btw the ECU speed signal should come from the dash, not the gearbox...(not sure if yours does going off your wording)

Cheers
    Wilbo

Forum Member

Yeah, I did think of TRC but I was only aware that it would regulate the TRC butterfly so had removed it and the TRC computer.

Speed cut was another thing, but I have machined the 12 tooth reluctor setup to fit the W58 which feeds the ecu and the dash. I may try disconnecting it though and see.

I disconnected/reconnected battery and runs alot better for a while- still cuts but at a higher flow/load (around 3.9v) However, the longer or more times you drive it, the lower the load it starts to cut in at- until you reset battery again..

Up until it cuts, it drives brilliant, plenty timing, torque and VVti working etc etc etc.

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nite b
    Speed cut was another thing, but I have machined the 12 tooth reluctor setup to fit the W58 which feeds the ecu and the dash. I may try disconnecting it though and see.
    The speed signal from the gearbox should feed the dash and the ECU gets its signal from the dash...

36 Sensors#6 - Speed Sensors with questions.pdf

Also:
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showpo...89&postcount=8

In particular
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamd
    Speed Signal from comb. meter SP1 C86 12 P"
    The Engine ECU expects a 4 pulse per rev signal...!

Cheers
    Wilbo

Forum Member

Yep, disconnected speedsensor on box and car goes mint except for expected stalling when stopped now. So guessing it not only actuates the TRC butterfly, but then hard cuts the engine too if not sensing drop in road speed.
    Will try giving it its SP1 signal from dash then and see if output suitable from Altezza..

Forum Member

Agh!! So close now but cant for the life of me find the 'comb meter 4p output' (SP1) into the factory Altezza ecu.

Would anyone have a pinout for GXE10 1G-FE auto 4 plug ECU Altezza? Everything on net is 3sge or 5 plug IS200..

??????????