Thread: Diff centre interchangeable?

Tyre Executioner Grease Monkey Matty's Avatar

Default Diff centre interchangeable?

Hey guys a mate of mine has an AE71 wagon with a blown centre in it and we are wondering if the centre out of my old TA22 diff will fit? The guys still only on his L's so im not letting him weld the fucking thing cause he'll bend it, are the splines the same or are the two completly different?
    Cheers Matty
    OTA22T
    You can sleep in your car but you cant race your house.....

Junior Member Domestic Engineer RobertoX's Avatar

Default Re: Diff centre interchangeable?

Pretty sure not, AE71s had borg warner diffs which definately wont take a t series centre out of a TA22.
    The wagons may have had a japanese diff? (might only be the panel vans though?) Which was an s series anyway I think.
    Check the build plate to see what sort of diff it is by the diff code. It may have been changed sometime in the life of the car though so you could get under and check also.

If the bolts are on the back of the diff its a borgy (inspection plate), if they are on the front and there are 8 of them (holding in the centre) then its an s, if there are 10 then its a t...

J7JZY
    Last edited by RobertoX; 27-02-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Tyre Executioner Grease Monkey Matty's Avatar

Cheers dude ive been waiting for him to tell what it looks like but he hasnt done it yet, have to check it out myself.
    You can sleep in your car but you cant race your house.....

Awesome ****** Domestic Engineer Javal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoX
    Pretty sure not, AE71s had borg warner diffs which definately wont take a t series centre out of a TA22.
    The wagons may have had a japanese diff? (might only be the panel vans though?) Which was an s series anyway I think.
    Check the build plate to see what sort of diff it is by the diff code. It may have been changed sometime in the life of the car though so you could get under and check also.

If the bolts are on the back of the diff its a borgy (inspection plate), if they are on the front and there are 8 of them (holding in the centre) then its an s, if there are 10 then its a t...
    Absolutely correct.

Wagons had the borg-warner diff.
    Panelvans had the S-Series (8 Bolt)

Your TA22 has a T-series (10 bolt).

Just go to a pickie wrecker and pick up a hundred dollar special to replace his fubar one, changing the whole diff is alot easier than changing the center on a borg-warner style diffs.
    The 18R-G. The GOOD 2 Litre Tractor motor.