Thread: aftermarket ecu options for 4agte?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default aftermarket ecu options for 4agte?

hey guys
    i have a ke70 with a 4AGTE, its running a GZE head with NA bottom end still running high compression with a K24 turbo and external gate, with a standard 4AGZE computer. i was wondering what my options are for an aftermarket ECU for a reasonably cheap price as i would like to boost it abit more, planning on putting a t25 on, getting a rising rate fuel reg and ecu.

at the moment when it is getting hot aparently the knock sensor is cutting in so when it hits boost it dies in the arse... hoping to fix this with ecu and in order to run more boost but i dont wanna be spendin shitloads... got a quote for bout $2500 for a haltech but this is to much moolah for me.

also would like to know if it is safe to run bout 10psi through this motor once i have the ecu and fuel reg. i've been told it should be fine but just after some advice

is it possible to run a piggyback computer or go for a stand alone?
    any help would be apreciated

thanks,
    phil

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jono's Avatar

Default Re: aftermarket ecu options for 4agte?

i have a similar setup: high comp 4age + turbo and 10psi is great. Wouldn't put more than that through it though.

i have the standard fuel regulator but have the GZE injectors & haltech e6x. $2500 seems a bit pricey, or is that supplied, installed and tuned? in which case its probably the right price.

maybe find out who your local tuners are and what ECUs they prefer to tune.
    previous:-> 74 KE20 4AGTE, 04 RZN149R, 01 AE112R, 01 KR42R, 84 E30 318i, 67 MINI DELUXE
    current:-> 06 BF XR6T, MY13 ISUZU D-MAX 4X4

SC14 7AGZE Grease Monkey

A more important question is why do you think the knock sensor is pulling timing erroneously?

Unless your 100% sure your not getting knock, there's no real reason to doubt it.

There are a couple standalones for pretty cheap. You can pick up a used Microtech for under $1000, you can also put together a Megasquirt system for under $600. So you have options. As far as piggybacks... the E-Manage runs both fuel and ignition, and can be bought pretty cheap, and works with the GZE ECU. But unless your sure the stock ECU is at fault in your knock conditions, you might be spending money for no good reason.
    SC14 7AGZE build: http://beasted86.webs.com/

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phil
    getting a rising rate fuel reg and ecu.
    You won't need a rising rate reg phil, nor would you want one with a programmable ecu. If you need a new reg just get a 1:1 ratio reg like a Sard or other reputable brand. Steer clear of Malpassi, it's a lucky dip if you get one that is stable or unstable so it's not worth the risk and they aren't that cheap anyway.

I don't know what injectors you are running or plan to run but the 4AGZE ones are ok up to about 14 - 15 psi, beyond that it's best to go with some 440cc injectors from a 7MGTE.

I agree with Jono too, the price you got quoted would be reasonable for supply, instal and tune. If you can do the instal yourself you'd save a few dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by phil
    is it possible to run a piggyback computer or go for a stand alone?
    Just go standalone, don't waste your time with a piggyback ecu.

I run a Microtech on my 4AGTE and it's done a great job. You'd still be looking at close to $2000 for a supply, instal and tune on something like an LT10S, if you installed it yourself you may get closer to the $1600 mark depending on how much your tuner charges.

Edit: Adaptronic would be worth looking at too, great price and functionality.
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

Junior Member Carport Converter Billzilla's Avatar

Get an Adaptronic, best value for what you get by far.
    Vastly better than a Microtech for about the same price, etc.
    www.billzilla.org
    Toymods founding member #3

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice ta22max's Avatar

I have a Haltech F7C, which you could have for close to nothing although it would be alot of work as I have chopped the loom, and it doesnt controll ignition either.

I purchased a refurbished Wolf 3D version 4 with brand new loom everything for 1100$, personally value for money, I think its well worth the money.
    Its good for pretty much any application,

I still ended u spending money on extra sesors, external map sensors, etc.
    Probably costed me $2000 once it was running, tuned etc
    Max,

4AGTE TA22

Junior Member Carport Converter StuC's Avatar

i run a mirotech LT10s, x4 module and 4*coils on mine. Only problem is the lack of a proper cold start. Wolf can do stepper motor control and are aussie made also - they'd be my next option for an ECU. The new V5000 also has EBC on board

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StuC
    i run a mirotech LT10s, x4 module and 4*coils on mine. Only problem is the lack of a proper cold start.
    You could have ordered yours with 2 wire idle motor control and used a Falcon idle solenoid or similar

Unless you already specced all your outputs when you ordered it and had none left?
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

Junior Member Carport Converter StuC's Avatar

i bought it second hand - it can run the falcoon throttle/idle setup but it didnt hit high on my prioritys when setting her up. I really regret that now. Im trying to get rid of the car anyway but am having no luck - if i keep it, XF throttle body and idle will go on along with a turbo and some boost......

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

thanks for the info guys... yeh i am running gze head with all the electronics to like cas, injectors etc... might go to some local tuners and see wat they say..
    and yes that was bout 2500 installed and tuned by adam at jem..
    wat is megasquirt also?
    wont be wiring it up myself tho... way to much fuckin around for me lol...

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

http://www.fjoracing.com/index.php

I know its probably out of the question, but this is what I'm running.... and the company I'm getting it from has EXTENSIVE boosted 4AG expereince - http://www.jacsport.com/

It isn't cheap.... ($2700 with a full boat load of sensors, peak and hold injector driver, coil packs, and wiring) but as FJO states, "FJO Racing Products releases the last engine management system you'll ever need! "
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!