Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RA28 Help

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default RA28 Help

Hey guys I'm a nubie to toymods. I am the proud owner of a RA28 but unfortunetly shes in pretty average condition and she deserves better than that. So I've decided to give her a new engine. After hours and hours of reading these forums I think I want a 1G-GTE, however this will be my 1st ever project so I'm just looking at ideas of what kind of budget I should be looking at. Of course including new, Diff, brakes, gearbox & intercooler, all that stuff.

Thanks Guys

Junior Member Conversion King timbosaurus's Avatar

Default Re: RA28 Help

G'day Mate, there are two ways to do the 1G swap... cheap, or well.

I've just finishing this exact excersize, and these are some of the things I can think of on top of the original halfcut price.

fitting engine/fabricating mounts - DIY, or $500
    Wiring - DIY or $400

Intake
    intercooler - $200
    Piping - DIY or $200
    Silicon hoses - $120

Fuel system
    lift pump - $120
    Surge tank - $100
    high pressure pump - $150
    Filter $50
    Fittings - $100
    Hose/pipes - $130

Exhaust - 3 options
    3" in standard dumps - $600
    3" using custom dumps - $1000
    Change to single turbo on custom manifold - $2500

Brake upgrade - Ranges from $200 to $1000

Diff upgrade - Ranges from $200 to $1500

There would be more, but I just cant thnk of it now.

Cheers,
    Timbo

P.S. It seems like a lot of money, and it is. But it's worth it. I now have 3 times the power of the 18RC, and use less fuel getting it!!!!
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST
    1) Red RA28LT (NOW WITH 1G )

Excited Member Grease Monkey thomasbl's Avatar

Depends also on what state you want the rest of the car also. The above costs should cover a conversion but i would add a considerable amount more for incidental things along the way. You might find you need tools you haven't got, consumables, bolts, threads, fittings, fuel lines. You might find you want to change a thermostat, fit different thermos, new radiator, you might want new or cleaned injectors. I found that while its easy to add up the main costs, you never really know what all the other stuff will cost.

Also, if you wanted to fix up interior or paint on your car you will need to either pay fibreglass panels or pay a premium for good condition ones. Good interior gear for 28's seems to be very hard to find and you will pay well for it too.

Thanks for your help guys, looks like I've got some serious saving to do. Does a half-cut usually include the ECU? Eventually I am going to paint it and get her interior restored but they are in the distant future, I'm going to concentrate on making her go 1st. How fuel efficient is the 1G-GTE?

Yes, make sure you get a halfcut with an ecu. It can be difficult chasing all the electrical parts you need if you get an engine with no loom. They might seem cheaper as a long engine, but grab a halfcut, sell some other bits to recover a bit of cost and use the complete loom. Generally speaking, ECU's are specific to manual / auto so choose the appropriate one.

Or you could just convince me to part with my conversion package, and i'll embark on a new project

Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST

Interesting? What have you got and how much?

"it went up in a jiffy" Conversion King Kedderz's Avatar

get a budget in mind then triple it if you want to upgrade everything along the way.

or

buy someone elses hard work. Currently there is a 1g ra/ta on ebay with a 1g with aftermarket ecu, brake upgrade, twin t28s and front facing plenum for i think 5k? bargain at that price and you get a parts shell, or you sell the shell and recoup come losses.
    RA23 - Twincharged
    JZZ20 - Daily

Well i just found this on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....id=p2759.l1259 I'm incredibly tempted to fly up to brisbane to collect it. What do you guys think, I know this is the wrong forum sorry but I thought I'd ask, do you think this will provide me with the hp I was looking for? Personally I think its an absolute freakin bargain, your thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

"it went up in a jiffy" Conversion King Kedderz's Avatar

its for sale in the for sale section here too. i think he wanted 8k
    RA23 - Twincharged
    JZZ20 - Daily

What's your conversion package? How Much? I was thinking of doing the diff first so when I finally have the time and money I don't have any complications when I put the engine in. Which diffs do you have/recommend? Is there one fits with the 28's original tailshaft and are there any complications I should be aware of with different diffs when it comes to upgrading the drum brakes to discs?

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

The very first thing you do is fix the body. That means you check the entire chassis over and get any rust removed. You can always upgrade and fix/replace engine/gearbox/diff and suspension parts, but you can't do it so easily when your panels are rusted out. In other words, the rest of your upgrade if you have rust that needs to be fixed. Rust to be fixed first.

Then you need to do the suspension. If it's still got the original suspension the springs will be sagged and the shocks will eb very tired.

The above is adequate for an 18R-C (original engine) or a non-worked 18R-G.

Then you upgrade your brakes, assuming you are looking at putting in a lot more power.

Then you look at doing your gearbox and diff.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Good call River.

You will also have a lot of difficulty getting engineer approval for a vehicle with a powerful engine and inadequate brakes, suspension and rusty body/frame.

Quote Originally Posted by rancidpunk
    Interesting? What have you got and how much?
    Sorry Rancid, it was just an off-the-cuff comment, I wasn't trying to flog it off to ya!

If I had to put a figure on what I think a COMPLETE conversion is worth, I'd say $4.5k for all the bits.

I think the going rate just at a shop is about $5k to do the work, on top of the cost of the major parts.
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rancidpunk
    What's your conversion package? How Much? I was thinking of doing the diff first so when I finally have the time and money I don't have any complications when I put the engine in. Which diffs do you have/recommend? Is there one fits with the 28's original tailshaft and are there any complications I should be aware of with different diffs when it comes to upgrading the drum brakes to discs?
    RancidPunk,

Congrates on the RA28 purchase, they are a horny looking car and well worth saving if you don't mind commiting to a a generally long and expensive process. The problem with getting any old car that needs allot of work is that parts are not always easy to get and generallyif you can get them they hurt your wallet. In all honesty without even seeing your car or knowing what you want to do I suggets you get used to commiting $15k - 30K worth of your earnings in the RA28's direction. And thats assuming your doing most of the work yourself ! Once you have that clear in your mind and your still happy to undertake the project then its all about working out where to start.

There is hard rule as to where ot start but River is right. If your project rusts away before it finished all your previous work was a wasted investment so the body work needs to be at least sound if not pretty. After that the more sensible but less fun process is to upgrade your safety related parts first. Brakes and suspension are best installed BEFORE any large power upgrades, allot less fun, but a smarter choice.

Alternatly sometimes you can be lucky enough to buy one thats already been started or done.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.