Thread: 1GGZE w/ W57 into RA28

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice Jimmy's Avatar

Default 1GGZE w/ W57 into RA28

Been doing a lot of searching on the threads as I have already started the swap. I used to have an 18RC w/ auto (yuck i know). I bought the package off steve (77gze). Engine and gearbox are fitted. Everything appears to have fitted ok with the spacer on passenger side engine mount. Did also have to cut a small section off engine crossmember (not the structural part tho) hopefully there wont be any clearance issues when the engine shifts under torque.

Currently doing the manual conversion and have been told i should be going for a clutch slave that is passenger side. I've done some searching and havent had any luck as to what type i should use, where best to buy, and how i should mount it.

Have an excel radiator that will mount ok. Need to get a fan sorted though so looking for suggestions for that too.

User Conversion King

Default Re: 1GGZE w/ W57 into RA28

i think i used a MA61 slave on the my 1ggte-w58.

might want to double check that though
    hello

Junior Member Conversion King timbosaurus's Avatar

Hi Jimmy.

I just went through the pain myself, but it's worth it. It's fun stock, so lets hope some mods will make it quick

Why is there a spacer on the passenger side mount? I had to put a 10mm spacer on the drivers side to tilt the engine over a little. That was so the turbo's cleared the steering box.

Also, most people don't mod the xmember, they mod the sump instead.

I was fortunate enough to have a pre-modded xmember from Strad, so the engine sits a long way back, so there is a fair bit of clearance for the excel radiator. The stock excel thermo fans still don't have a chance of fitting. I'll need a low profile aftermarket job.

The W58 I used has the slave on the passenger side already, which meant that I needed to bend up a new clutch line. If you can find one on the drivers side, it will actually save you that trouble!
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST
    1) Red RA28LT (NOW WITH 1G )

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Spectre's Avatar

For a fan, just head down to supercheap / repco / auto one and grab a thermo fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by CLG
    It's a good system in theory, but it's fucked.

Still just a Grease Monkey Glenno52's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre
    For a fan, just head down to supercheap / repco / auto one and grab a thermo fan.
    I used a 12 inch fan pulling air and a 10 inch fan pushing air on a Laser radiator.
    Overkill...they hardly ever run!
    1g-gze Corona RT132 (Daily)
    RA23 Celica (Project under way)
    RT81 & MS112 (Still Thinking About It!)
    Wife thinks i'm mad (yep... she's right!)

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice Jimmy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by timbosaurus
    Why is there a spacer on the passenger side mount? I had to put a 10mm spacer on the drivers side to tilt the engine over a little. That was so the turbo's cleared the steering box.

Also, most people don't mod the xmember, they mod the sump instead.

The W58 I used has the slave on the passenger side already, which meant that I needed to bend up a new clutch line. If you can find one on the drivers side, it will actually save you that trouble!
    yeah my gearbox has it on the passenger side. it's all good. i've bent up the clutch line to go to there and now thanks to brett i know what type to get.

Sump is already modded. still wouldnt quite fit.

1ggze is dif to the 1ggte. i dont have to worry about turbo clearances obviously and also it mounts up differently to the 1ggte. i dont need to get 1gge mounts cos the ones that come with the engine fit straight up but i did need the spacer on the passenger side.

Junior Member Conversion King timbosaurus's Avatar

Ah, i missed the bit about the supercharger. I forgot about the *other* 1G
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST
    1) Red RA28LT (NOW WITH 1G )

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Jimmy, a little info that might help:

Mounts and Spacers: It's not unusual to use a spacer. Rubber insulators/ mounts come in all types so it's often pot-luck what you end up with. I was lucky to obtain some factory insulators that sat the engine perfectly.

Radiator: Careful with the excel unit. Remember that factor radiators are designed for the application so using it on a 2 litre forced induction six cylinder engine may not always work. I used a cut down torana 3 core.

Fans: Just about any large thermo will work however if later you want to intercool then you'll need all the room you can get at the front. Use slimline unit if your funds will stretch.

Clutch slave: Go to a brake shop and explain what you are doing and what you need. They will have a choice of slave units on the shelf. Don't cheapen out and use a second hand unit - simply not worth it.

Timing and Fan Belts: If you don't know the klms then change the belt. About $45 new from Castle Hill Toyota Sydney if you can't source in WA. That goes for the supercharger and all the fan belts too - especially the supercharger belt!

Have fun.
    Last edited by Grant; 11-08-2008 at 07:51 PM.