Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1ggte into altezza

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 1ggte into altezza

has anyone out there info on this swap. has it been done. i am really keen to give it a go just need a bit of coaching. thanks

"it went up in a jiffy" Conversion King Kedderz's Avatar

Default Re: 1ggte into altezza

in australia you cant legally as the 1ggte is an older engine than the current one. due to emission rules you cant do it.
    RA23 - Twincharged
    JZZ20 - Daily

Party Animal Supreme Too Much Toyota MR 1JZ's Avatar

you would be better off just getting a custom manifold and ECU and running a low boost application on the 1GFE
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    Evo 5 - The silver fruitbox
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

Yeah, custom manifolds can cure aids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

i am in nz where no such law exists, and cost of bolt on equipment too much

Toymods Club Member Conversion King big_zop's Avatar

Any reason why you want to go 1GGTE?

There are much better engines that should be able to be installed with a little mechanical knowledge. Easiest would be a 3SGE from the JDM Altezza and depending on how much youre capable of doing yourself, the sky is the limit regarding much more entertaining powerplants. Such as: (links to be added when Toymods stops being slow)
    - 1UZ: Mos 1UZ VVTi IS200
    - 2JZ
    - 1JZ: whatthe? 1JZ VVTi IS200

Search for the information you need and if you cant find anything, then ask. And remember, there is information outside Toymods too.
    Last edited by big_zop; 30-07-2008 at 04:08 PM.

Junior Member Grease Monkey Mr.Phreak's Avatar

If you're going to that much effort, why not do it properly with a 1JZ or 2JZ??

It fits nicely
    Last edited by Mr.Phreak; 30-07-2008 at 01:16 PM.

i think the handling would be less effected with this conversion?? also my car is the altezza gita which is factory fitted with a 1gfe, six speed and lsd. wuld this make it a bit simpler??

also i have(correct me if im wrong) not seen this done by anyone, and not looking for a huge power gain.

Toymods Club Member Conversion King big_zop's Avatar

Well, the eventual costs of conversions make such a small gain pointless. And being unique isnt always best.

To go 3SGE from an altezza you can probably get away with the engine, bellhousing and wiring - but again there are probably hidden costs or items that are needed that will make a front cut a better purchase and will give you the option to sell off the remaining parts.

Do your research and find out what you need - it will hopefully save you in the long run plus provide you with a much deeper knowledge base to choose the best solution.
    Last edited by big_zop; 30-07-2008 at 08:04 PM.

650hp 2JZ + Altezza = my dream toyota
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by patnut
    has anyone out there info on this swap. has it been done. i am really keen to give it a go just need a bit of coaching. thanks
    I don't mean to be rude, but if you need a bit of coaching don't attempt the project.... An IS200 isn't really the type of car that you give a conversion a go (yet). You either set your mind to do it and do whatever is necessary to get it done, or you don't do it, there's very little room for "attempt", especially given your constraints. What is your plan B if it doesn't work out? Will you be content having a $20k car off the road for 3 months and then put it all back to stock coz something doesn't work out?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedders
    in australia you cant legally as the 1ggte is an older engine than the current one. due to emission rules you cant do it.
    That's not entirely true. While it will be difficult strictly speaking it's possible provided the older engine passes the newer emissions.

cost of bolt on equipment too much
    How much do you expect to spend on the 1G-GTE conversion? I spent more mulla on manuals than what some of the 1G-GTE engines go for.
    i think the handling would be less effected with this conversion??
    You won't notice the handling difference. 3S-GE is the best solution when handling is the primary motivator.
    also my car is the altezza gita which is factory fitted with a 1gfe, six speed and lsd. wuld this make it a bit simpler??
    Every IS200 in australia is a 1G-FE with a suitable box - the only thing that's easy is that the engine bolts to the crossmember and to the gearbox - that's where the ease ends - everything else will be custom and/or developmental - have you thought about electrics? fueling? (IS200 is returnless) flywheel? (I can't remember if the 1G-GTE is 6 or 8 bolt crank - 1G-FE is 6) intercooling? etc.
    also i have(correct me if im wrong) not seen this done by anyone
    Once again I don't mean to be rude, but if you have such a limited budget uniqueness is not an argument at all. There are generally good reasons why something obvious hasn't been done - at face value it's simple, but the simplicity doesn't outweigh the limitations. For starters you end up with a 25+yo engine in a 3+yo car. You have to get lucky three times to get a good engine with 2 good turbos. Any costs associated with rebuilds or turbo replacements would be better spent turboing the 1G-FE. If you don't go overboard with boost the engine will survive, if not, 1G-FEs are not exactly highly sought after so a replacement won't be difficult to source.

and not looking for a huge power gain.
    Then get a 3S-GE.

Easiest thing of all would be to buy a smashed RS200 and swap everything over, including electrics. You don't have to fabricate or develop anything, it will all swap over. I only recommend this because there are plenty of RS200s in NZ. In Aus a 3S-GE swap is just not worth the effort - a VVTi 1JZ-GTE gives much better bang for, arguably, less buck.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

in adelaide you can put an old engine into a new car.

mos you forgot to mention 1G's are completely shit except when placed in something rediculously light

they are an RB20 + more fail
    Project Soarer II - Sold

so i put it in the too hard basket??? my main point of posting this subject was to find any first hand experience out there, which it seems there is not.
    i was hoping it would b quite simple seeing as the engine design has hardly changed over the 20 or so years being produced.