Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1ggte into altezza

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Default Re: 1ggte into altezza

Quote Originally Posted by patnut
    so i put it in the too hard basket???
    Not too hard, just not worth it basket....

my main point of posting this subject was to find any first hand experience out there, which it seems there is not.
    Without being smug, I don't have to have the experience of doing this swap to know a) it's not worth it, and b) most of what needs to be done to make it work.
    I've got the experience of selecting an engine for this chassis.
    I've also got the experience of putting 1G-GTEs in many other chassis' and this is simply not worth it.

i was hoping it would b quite simple seeing as the engine design has hardly changed over the 20 or so years being produced.
    It *is* simple, relatively speaking - probably half the effort of the 1UZ swap - but it's not worth it - that's the point.
    I seem to keep going back to the same question though - why would you put a 25 year old engine into such a new car?

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

i have read on other posts throughout this forum where the g type head is capable of much higher revs than the f type.

Toymods Club Member Conversion King big_zop's Avatar

If thats youre only reason, you are probably going to find that the 3SGE from the Altezza will rev better and makes just as much power as a stock 1G-GTE, even without a turbo.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

i was hoping it would b quite simple seeing as the engine design has hardly changed over the 20 or so years being produced.
    If you're talking about physically bolting the block into the engine bay then yes, it's quite simple - but as with any engine conversion this is the easiest part of the process, and it's the least of your worries. If you think "same block = easy conversion" I can only conclude you've never been involved in a major engine conversion project and you're in for a big shock.

Take it from me and others who have experience with such things, conversions like this are far more difficult than they appear, and as such you want to be sure of a good result before you commit yourself. A 1G will not give you a good result - it may be better than the current engine but it will still be mediocre at best.

If you're happy with a mediocre result, an engine conversion is unnecessary pain and expense. As others have said a turbo/supercharger upgrade on your existing engine is the best way forward.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

and cost of bolt on equipment too much
    Can you justify this please?

I fail to see how the cost of bolting a few things to a 1G-FE is more expensive than a full 1GGTE conversion ?
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Team Awesome Carport Converter Pimpin_1JZ's Avatar

From what you are saying here, I would also have to recommend the Beams 3SGE halfcut to simply swap it all over. It will give you a bit of an increase and doesn't mind revving.
    1JZ MZ20 Soarer - 4AGZE KE70 Corolla - 4AGE AE86 - 4AGE KE70

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

In NZ I wouldn't even bother with converting to 3S-GE, just sell your car and buy the factory version. Be way cheaper.

Callum

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    Can you justify this please?

I fail to see how the cost of bolting a few things to a 1G-FE is more expensive than a full 1GGTE conversion ?
    i meant that the cost of turbo set up on about par with the price of second hand engine. the price of conversion hadnt been factored in as i was hoping this was not too complicated, ie, bolt in.

Quote Originally Posted by WDE_BDY
    In NZ I wouldn't even bother with converting to 3S-GE, just sell your car and buy the factory version. Be way cheaper.

Callum
    i have brought the Gita Altezza and would have gone the RS200Z but my arm was twisted to buy "family" vehicle, also i have just left a wagon at the dealer and come to love the there space.

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

20+ y.o second hand engine would be pretty shit to throw in a lexus
    I like the advice of WDE BDY though
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Should of just bought the 3L version then, bit of suspension work would have sorted any nose heaviness issues. The wagons seem to cope better with the extra weight up front compared to the sedans.

Callum

ok guys, i have taken this info on board, feel like a complete knob for queerying it and will b staying weel and truly on the beaten path.
    my new plan will involve nothing out of the ordinary, just a plain jane turbo kit

"motoring enthusiast" Backyard Mechanic mideon_696's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ
    650hp 2JZ + Altezza = my dream toyota

Fucking aye.
    No Signature.

Hardly a Domestic Engineer Sciflyer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ
    650hp 2JZ + Altezza = my dream toyota
    hell yeah

Its too bad the no import status of Altezza/IS in Aus has kinda limited the number of these with much fasts in them

I cant stand the chrono style dash and as we all know 4 doors = gay but still as prices drop to more Toymods-approved levels (ie, cheap) i will be very tempted to downsize from the Soarer to a UZ or JZ'ed one of these

Quote Originally Posted by Sciflyer
    hell yeah

Its too bad the no import status of Altezza/IS in Aus has kinda limited the number of these with much fasts in them

I cant stand the chrono style dash and as we all know 4 doors = gay but still as prices drop to more Toymods-approved levels (ie, cheap) i will be very tempted to downsize from the Soarer to a UZ or JZ'ed one of these
    ye nz rocks, the importing laws have tightened a wee bit as we can no longer get compliance for vehicles imported which were built after 2003. this hardly matters as there is plenty of decent cars already here, and there is a omittance for cars over 20yo.