Thread: speed sensor pinouts

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default speed sensor pinouts

hi all
    I got a digital dash run by a W58 gearbox.
    My car runs a cable, and i just swapped it to a sender on the gearbox.

Can someone please give me the pinouts for the speedo sensor.

i assume they are
    12v
    signal and earth.

HELP!
    thanks
    cue

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Default Re: speed sensor pinouts

I'm not quite following?
    Did you swap the dash to a cable-less one? As most earlier digital dashes still require a cable to run.

As for the pinouts, which one? The speedo sensor, or the dash unit?
    For either one, it helps if we have the year/type/model.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

peewee thanks for your response, your right its the dash that requires the cable.
    however i have plumbed the wires for the speedo out the dash and into a conversion box to adjust the pulse speed (for calibration) then back to the dash.

so now its relatively easy to delete the cable altogether (since it snapped )

the dash is second gen toyota sourer. i seem to remember the speedo being 5v. So maybe i also need to feed the sender 5v aswell.

i hope that makes sense.

If the dash originally needed a cable, then won't the odometer require a cable to keep working? I know you can wire the electronic sender directly into the mech/elec output box, but isn't the odometer purely mechanical ?

That aside, later model Toyota dash's have all 3 wires going from the dash to the sensor, so the sensor gets its 5v, earth reference, and output all from the dash.
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

I think they are mechanical odo but driven by a motor in the dash , cable to electronic then back to mechanical go figure .
    Dave

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

there are numbers on the mating connector

pin1= 12v

pin2=gnd

pin3=signal (to the dash)

it is powered by the instument fuse and it is 12v input not 5v
    there are normally 4 connections to the speedo head gnd ,ign,pulse (from pickup) and pulse out (to the efi computer) there is no 5v 0ut supply
    hope this helps

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cue340
    My car runs a cable, and i just swapped it to a sender on the gearbox.
    Can someone please give me the pinouts for the speedo sensor.
    What did you get the sender off? Photo?
    I know of at least two types that screw in place of the speedo cable, not interchangeable electrically. There may be more, and there are other ones that replace the speedo drive entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    but isn't the odometer purely mechanical ?
    Seen various iterations.
    Mech cable - sensor in dash, electronic speedo, purely mech odo.
    Mech cable - sensor in dash, electronic speedo, electronically controlled stepper motor mechanical odo.
    Electronic sensor - electronic speedo, electronically controlled stepper motor mechanical odo.
    Electronic sensor - electronic speedo, electronic digital odo.

GZ20 with VFD cluster is electronic sensor (20ppr) on extension housing, electronic speedo, electronically controlled stepper motor odo. There might be some version that are different but the ones I've seen are like this.
    I'm pretty sure MZ20 is the same but not 100% sure.

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    That aside, later model Toyota dash's have all 3 wires going from the dash to the sensor, so the sensor gets its 5v, earth reference, and output all from the dash.
    Not quite - on most 12V power supply comes from the same wire as reverse switch or neutral switch. Signal obviously goes to dash and ground is provided through the dash.

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

Mos you are also correct the guage fuse (for the dash) also powers the reverse light and the auto display lights in an auto ,the wire is normally red with a blue trace but can be other colours yellow is common also depends on the car but red with blue is the most common and they are all 12volt

the ground is supplied by the same earth point as the dash to stop interference due ground loops though it does not actually have to go into the cluster

Quote Originally Posted by thrashlux
    the ground is supplied by the same earth point as the dash to stop interference due ground loops though it does not actually have to go into the cluster
    It's supplied by the cluster itself, in all the clusters I've taken apart. I know it doesn't *need* to be supplied by the cluster, but in general they are in toyotas, in the same way as E2 is supplied by the engine ECU.
    Mos.

Many toyotas do have the earth suplied from the dash but this is not a rule for instance most of the really complicated late model stuff with the junction block type conections ie 100 series landcruiser ,aristos and some of the crowns the earthpoint goes to the junction block then splits off down to the gearbox area and to the cluster
    though usally the junction block is within 40mm of the cluster to stop any chance of an earth loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mos
    Not quite - on most 12V power supply comes from the same wire as reverse switch or neutral switch. Signal obviously goes to dash and ground is provided through the dash.
    Hmm, I'll have to check my diagrams as I thought the UZZ30 uses a +5V output from the dash, and thus presumed all 'late model' stuff was done the same.

I could be remembering poorly though.
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

Quote Originally Posted by thrashlux
    Many toyotas do have the earth suplied from the dash but this is not a rule for instance most of the really complicated late model stuff with the junction block type conections ie 100 series landcruiser ,aristos and some of the crowns the earthpoint goes to the junction block then splits off down to the gearbox area and to the cluster
    though usally the junction block is within 40mm of the cluster to stop any chance of an earth loop.
    Hmm that's interesting, something to keep in mind for future conversions.
    Which model Aristo? JZS147 definitely is the dash, as it the manual IS200/Altezza. Auto IS200/Altezza does not have a speed sensor - supplied by the ABS/etc ECU - as does the UCF20(97-), JZX100, UZZ30(w/VVTi engine), so I'd expect anything newer and auto not to have a separate speed sensor. What does your info say about manual JZX100?

Mos.

Mos you are correct the auto altezza and the really late cars usally with white computer plugs with three levels of pins in their plugs
    they use the abs as their spd input on the auto models I know it is a real hassel to fit these conversions into an old school car without the abs
    some times we have added the standard type 3 wire sensor as some of the extension housings because the casting there, it is just not drilled.
    the signal type is the same as the one supplied by the abs because on the last altezza auto i did i connected one up and ran it up with a drill and the speedo worked just have to drive it off the wheels some how !!
    could you supply me with the diffent pin outs for the other type of 3 wire speed sensors as all the ones (screw on adapter type and one piece type )i have used have been the same they always worked with the pinouts i suppied but if there is another type of pin out i want to know about it as i would hate to bugger one up!
    All the information I have is from first hand experince from stipping looms wire for wire I was building looms about 3or 4 per week up until 4 months ago when i moved overseas
    I am not sure the model of the arisisto the loom was supplied to me removed from the cut but my guess it would have been a mid 90s model it was not vvti the diagram i had from a supra also said it went to the dash but in practice it went to a junction connector about 400mm from it

Cheers thrashlux