re: 1jz-gte

So stock coil on plug setup can definitely be used to make big power in a sequential ignition setup.

Want I would like opinions on is:

Stock coils are 2.5ms dwell max. We know that adding a HKS DLI type thing will increase the strength of the spark.

Aftermarket coils like bosch ones have dwell up to 4.5ms or so but have leads which are obviously longer than a coil on plug setup which I would think would reduce the strength of the spark.

So of these 2 options is there a mathematic way of working out which option would have stronger spark?

I can see that there must be some other factor to think of but I don't know what. As far as I can see adding a DLI makes the spark stronger but I am unsure how if the stock coils are limited by the amount of dwell. So how does it do it?

More specific info: have autronic, bosch igniter to stock coils. This is in a waste spark setup which I think is the reason for not having a strong spark where a lot of other people (myself included on other car) have had no issues with spark strength using stock coils and sequential spark. Currently blowing out spark. Changing to bosch coils and 8mm magnecor leads. Hoping that these new coils will provide a stronger spark than near 20 year old stock ones. If they don't, I suppose the only option is to add a DLI or something as well?