Thread: Sv21 coolant loss.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic maurice c's Avatar

Default Sv21 coolant loss.

I have a sv21 running a 3s-fe, about 170000 on the motor and runs pretty well with no major problems. I'm loosing abour .5 litres of coolant every 4-6 weeks. I initially blamed it on a poor radiator cap as it was perished, but I changed it and its still the same. I can find no coolant leaks from the engine or rad. The oil is perfect with no mixing, If I run the car when its warm there are no air bubbles coming through the radiaot with the cap off.I've looked all over the engine short of pulling the timing cover to check the water pump. I cant find a leak but I did find this vacuum pipe off.

It was just hanging off and connects somewhere near the fuel rail or inlet manifold. The car seems to run better now that its back on again. Does anybody know firstly what it connects to, and also if it could be the cause somehow of the coolant loss? Thanks
    Getting your missus to help bleed the brakes isn't everybody's idea of quality time.

Modify is my middle name Grease Monkey Darola's Avatar

Default Re: Sv21 coolant loss.

hey there mate...

it looks like the vaccum line that goes to the powersteer pump for idel up on full lock.... it would of been bad idle from the vaccum leak..

it wouldnt have anything to do with your coolant issue

Ed
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Eddie 0433 85 69 66

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

Check the back of the water pump near the oil filter... they often develop a minor leak there

Also the water junction at the end of the block, sometimes the hoses off this develop leaks that are hard to spot (only visible from underneath where a gearbox blocks vision)
    I am the sun

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

heater core is also common place for leaks..

that or your coolant is worn i.e. water coolant mix is wrong or off.. coolant is only good for 100,000 kms and 3 years? evaporating through the over-flow? 4 to 6 weeks is acceptable really, i suggest people with older cars to check oil and water every week or fortnight, and they usually need topping up..
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Sometimes a water pump will only leak when the pressure is up and the engine is running.

Worst case for you is a leaking head gasket into the combustion chamber. Sometimes this will show up with a really clean spark plug compared to the others. It's sort of water injection like.

Yep, that was the one I didnt want to even think about. I hate changing head gaskets.
    Getting your missus to help bleed the brakes isn't everybody's idea of quality time.

Well having stripped everything off the front of the engine, I have found the culprit, the o-ring between the water pump and the block. I have replaced the timing belt, water pump and top tensioner with genuine parts but could have got away at a pinch with a 50c o-ring.