Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Beam not working, rear wiper and rear washer also stuck on.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer urantia's Avatar

Default High Beam not working, rear wiper and rear washer also stuck on.

I'm pretty stumped.
    Hi-beam doesnt work as it should, It works when you use the spring loaded flasher (pull back on your headlight stalk) but putting the stalk in its permanent high beam position causes the headlights to go off. Low beam works perfectly fine.

I've changed the high beam switch with another one i buaght from the wreckers. Same behavior.

So From what i can gather , the headlights themselves are fine, the switch is fine unless they are both faulty for the same reason.

Some wiring is up the shit. Any ideas what it could be from my above description?

Another problem i am having, As soon as i turn the ignition on, the rear wiper is on as well as the rear washer motor is buzzing away. I have traced the wire that goes to the washer motor that seems to have live 12volt going to the back, and when i cut this wire both the wiper and washer stop. Bad earth?

I'm pretty stuffed trying to figure it out because for one i am pretty hopeless without wiring diagrams, and since this is a RZ hiace finding any technical data like service manuals is next to impossible!

Any help sorting this out would be massively appreciated to no end! (trying to get it registered before Thursday, these are the last couple problems stopping me getting it registered)
    Last edited by urantia; 21-07-2008 at 05:35 PM.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    97 Hiace AWD Super Custom 1kz turbo diesel (sold)
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: Help: High Beam not working, rear wiper and rear washer stuck on.

Hiya,

When you turn your headlights on do you here the relay click, i had a similer problem with my ae82 i had the 12v supply on the high beam switch had bad solder conection only worked when i flashed them but seen as u have replaced the switch, then only thing i can suggest is to grab a multi meter and check u have power to the high beam side of the switch ( it was a red with white strip on mine but not sure if the same for yours) if you have power there then work back down the line eg. connector, fuse etc untill u find the falt.

As for the rear wiper and washer it sounds like you have a crossed wire somewhere between your switch and them only thing to do trace the wires and find out where.

hope this is helpful

cheers
    Jason
    My Ride:-
    ae82 twincam seca

Default Re: High Beam not working, rear wiper and rear washer also stuck on.

Yep thats very handy, can use any help i can get in solving this one.

I checked and yes i can feel/hear the relay clicking on when i turn the headlights on. I dont however hear any relay's click as a swap between high and low beam. I guess they dont need a relay to swap between high and low?

I'll do as you suggest and measure for power on the high beam side of the switch, What gets me tho, is that the spring loaded high beam works. My way of thinking would be the high beam and the flasher (spring loaded high beam) controls the same circuit and thusly turns on the same light filaments in the headlight. But unless both switches are faulty i guess that isn't the case.

I'll report back with my findings with the multimeter. Cheers for you help Jason.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)

Breaker of all things aka Backyard Mechanic Chrisso's Avatar

This sounds very similar to the headlight problem that a lot of sprinters hit. Checking with the multimeter will give you a definite answer, but it's most likely the contacts on the flasher switch. See here:

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...751#post766751

I agree with Jason about the wipers, something is crossed for constant running power.

Chris.
    AE86 4 shades of silver - The Lone Ranger's steed is on the road again!
    AE86 shell - waiting for a donor car from the auctions.

Cheers for that Chrisso. Yep that thread seems to be the same problem i am having.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4

Well my relay is fine, my dimmer switch seems fine the 3 heavy wires in the dimmer switch make good connections. (i;ve also pulled it apart to see the actual connection points making contact, The globes are fine. Something has got me stuffed.

I should clarify tho, the dimmer switch is the switch the indicator stalk is connected too correct? two positions and a spring loaded switch all in one?(right hand of the steering wheel)

RAH! pullin hair out got less then 2 days to fix it so i can get registered! the fuckin agony of not having hiace service manual!!
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4

Did you test the output with a multimeter? If the output is fine, then it must be the line between the switch and the relay. Unfortunately it sounds like you're going to have to do this really methodically and start at the begining. Take the multimeter and make sure power and earths at each step are good, switches, relays.

Good luck.

I actually broke the multimeter before i could do anything useful with it. The - probe broke from the wire, and using a bare wire was driving me insane.

But yes you were right in the end it was the contacts in the dimmer switch. Filed them up and tried it again and i have light!!

So thanks heaps Chrisso & Jason!
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4

Congrats and good luck with rego!

thx mate!!
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

I think I have the same problem. When you push the stalk forward for high beam headlights and highbeams turn off and parkers are only left on.

So I want to do the same as above with this filing of the contacts on the dimmer switch. This is a mx83 cressida with a chaser dash in it.

Just trying to be 100% sure which bit I am supposed to be filing? Where the stalk goes in it attaches to a push switch that is spring loaded. Is this little switch the bit that you file or what? Or do you have to open up the small plastic box to see behind that switch and file the contacts in there?

I would post up some pics of what I mean but computer is being stupid. Any help greatly appreciated as pretty urgent.

Thanks

Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

Chris, Its those round flat copper circular looking things that get pressed against each other, Just file/sand them shiney again and you should be back in business.

I will try find my spare hiace dimmer switch and take some pics and show u the bits i am talking about.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4

problem solved. sort of swapped it for my corona one. Works a charm. I give no fark for high beams in my Rona
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

dammit, spoke too soon! was all working well but went to start the car and blew fuse for the dash and won't start. Looks like they are different between jzx90 and jzx81 even though they use the same plug. Will have a look for these round flat copper things then
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

Haha, Id say they must be wired differently (or draw different amount of current maybe)

ok i'll break out the camera tonight then.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4