Thread: remote thermostat housings

toyota-less Carport Converter skiddz's Avatar

Default remote thermostat housings

i have been searching for a long time now but to no avail im in need of a remote thermostat now i know the ae82/9# have them however i require an inline one without the heater inlets outlets somthing similar to this this

ideally somthing like this (MS paint FTW)

has anyone seen anything like this?

cheers
    luke
    2T out 4A in....

4A out 3VZ in. 3vzfe rebuild, RWD-ising, and conversion for ta22

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

Default Re: remote thermostat housings

Maybe just use the 4a one and either have the heater lines welded up or covered up with either hose or some glued on plates.

In the one youve linked (the nice looking one) there is also a vac looking fitting which i assume is to allow air to be bled. Youll also need to take that into consideration when finding a suitable mounting position.
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

Junior Member Domestic Engineer shelldrake's Avatar

Lol. You're actually trying to do what i have been looking at recently.

I think the anodised one has overflow outlets so that when thermostat is closed it can circulate water back up to the inline piece through the motor...

I was looking at getting two thermostat housings with identical bolt spacings and getting a piece of pipe lathed up to suit and bolt it together. But the overflow outlet is probably required, otherwise there is nowhere for the pressure to go...
    Assumption is the mother of all f**kups...

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Is this for the upper hose, usually the engine's outlet and the radiator's input, or is it connected to the engine's inlet at the WP, that connection from the radiators outlet, the lower hose to the pump?
    One may work with enough heat conducted and a hole drilled in the therm., and if it's in the lower hose & never getting any hot coolant & even if drilled, it'll never get hot enough to open. The thermostat needs circulation from a positive pressure source of hot coolant from around the exhaust ports & combustion chambers, when it's on the lower/inlet hose.

Quote Originally Posted by shelldrake
    But the overflow outlet is probably required, otherwise there is nowhere for the pressure to go...
    Pressure, an overflow/recovery system???
    'I've scrapped better.' John stated when asked about the car by the guy with the silver tipped cowboy boots!

you're right. it should be in the top hose, with a bypass back to circulate hot water through the motor till thermostat opens...

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Some peugeots simply have the thermostat stuck in the radiator hose - there is no housing. Look at a thermo catalogue or possibbly you could make something up to slide inside the hose.

Quote Originally Posted by shelldrake
    I was looking at getting two thermostat housings with identical bolt spacings and getting a piece of pipe lathed up to suit and bolt it together. But the overflow outlet is probably required, otherwise there is nowhere for the pressure to go...
    thats pretty much what i have done here, i have an sv21 thermostat housing from supercrap, took off the 4a top housing identical to the sv21 part (pure luck that one) cut the flange from the 4a bottom housing to use as a spacer, drilled out the holes on the two 4a parts then tapped a M10x1.25 in the sv21 part, drilled a hole in the thermostat, bit of gasket goo and its all together

and this will sit in the top hose

thanks for everyones help +rep for all
    2T out 4A in....

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Quote Originally Posted by skiddz
    and this will sit in the top hose

I was trying to say that it can be mounted anywhere, engine inlet or outlet, and that it needs flow/circulation, because even on the engine outlet there won't be enough heat conducted thru the water if it is sitting still, without a major hole drilled through it.
    'I've scrapped better.' John stated when asked about the car by the guy with the silver tipped cowboy boots!

huh? so i need a pipe going from before the thermostat back into the system?
    2T out 4A in....

I was thinking more about this recently as I am doing some changes to my cooling system -

In the picture you put at the top (the anodised stuff)[Skiddz -Where did you get the picture from? Who sells them?], The one that would contain thermostat would flow water through the brass barb fitting to the bottome radiator hose where it would continue to circulate until the thermostat opened and then water would pass through the top hose and then the radiator... However, with the bypass outlet(brass barb), some hot water would continue to flow through the engine. I suspect that because of the placement of the bypass barb, when the thermostat opens the flow going through to the top hose would limit the amount going through the bypass to the bottom hose. Is this correct? I'm no expert on fluid dynamics.

Does anyone have any thoughts to make this work effectively. If there was suck thing as a thermostat that closed i could run that in line with the bypass to close at a slightly higher temp than the main one! But, I don't think they exist....