Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Street/Track Tyres

Forum Member Domestic Engineer Nark's Avatar

Default Street/Track Tyres

Went to get a price for RT615s today for the MX-5 and to my horror, I was told that they don't come in 205/45R16!

Done a bit of research and I've got a shortlist of these 3:
    1. Bridgestone Adrenaline RE001
    2. Hankook Ventus R-S2
    3. Federal 595RS (or 595RS-R which has stiffer sidewalls and softer compound)

Anyone had experience with any of these tyres? I'm interested in grip, progressiveness, and communication. Comparisons between the 3 or to the RT615 or RE050As would be fantastic!
    Max
    NB8B MX-5 | Fulcrum-tuned Tein SS coilovers | Weldwell Engineering 4 point Rollbar | DBA 4000 slotted rotors | Goodridge braided lines
    MY11 Skoda Octavia RS wagon | 2x ISOFIX seats | Iggle Piggle's blanket | Some breast milk stains

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

Default Re: Street/Track Tyres

Why not the Kumho V700 for V70A?

From those listed I know someone who has run all 3 tyres are the Federals shit all over the other 2.
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

Quote Originally Posted by MR22ZZ
    Why not the Kumho V700 for V70A?
    Hadn't thought of them.

From those listed I know someone who has run all 3 tyres are the Federals shit all over the other 2.
    Were they the RSs or RS-Rs?
    Max
    NB8B MX-5 | Fulcrum-tuned Tein SS coilovers | Weldwell Engineering 4 point Rollbar | DBA 4000 slotted rotors | Goodridge braided lines
    MY11 Skoda Octavia RS wagon | 2x ISOFIX seats | Iggle Piggle's blanket | Some breast milk stains

uuuuuum I'd have to check that one.
    I think they were the SS-595RS but not 100%
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Sprinterboy's Avatar

Nark, you have PM
    AE86 Sprinter - The SC14 Beast (slowly rusting somewhere in the mountains)

My YouTube Channel - Watch and Listen to an Aussie rant as I drive around Washington DC
    SprinterBoyAus on YouTube
    SprinterBoyAus on Facebook

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Nark, I have the same problem, the dreaded 205/45R16.

I have used the Kuhmo Ecsta V70A and they are far more of a track tyre than the other 3 you listed. Very stiff side wall compaered to the others, a lot of road noise, really need to get heat into them before they start working, no rim protection at all. On my 16x7" rims the rim lip sat proud of the tyre by several mm's. In saying that though the V70A had a very squared tread/sidewall so it actually had a wider contact patch than any other 205 width tyre I have used.

As far as I am aware the Hankook Ventus RS-2 is not available in 205/45R16 either as I have asked at a number of places and no one could get them in that size. Maybe that has changed recently???

For street driving the Falken RT215/RT615 is better than the V70A. On the track after 3 laps or so to warm up the V70A is a bit better than the Falken and deals with higher temps a little better.

I am looking at the Federal SS595RS's for my car if I persist with 16" wheels. Just be sure when you get a price they quote you for the right model tyre. I asked for a set of SS595RS's and the base model SS595's were priced and ordered SS595 is the base model, the SS595Evo is next and then the SS595RS is the top one and would be closest to the Falken RT615 in performance.

Let us know what you end up choosing and what price they end up being.

i 8 a p00 Carport Converter rob's Avatar

you have a mx-5 now?
    - ma61 + 2jz-gte + v160 + 3.5 torsen

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinterboy
    Nark, you have PM
    Ooh... Thanks dude!

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Nark, I have the same problem, the dreaded 205/45R16.

I have used the Kuhmo Ecsta V70A and they are far more of a track tyre than the other 3 you listed. Very stiff side wall compaered to the others, a lot of road noise, really need to get heat into them before they start working, no rim protection at all. On my 16x7" rims the rim lip sat proud of the tyre by several mm's. In saying that though the V70A had a very squared tread/sidewall so it actually had a wider contact patch than any other 205 width tyre I have used.

As far as I am aware the Hankook Ventus RS-2 is not available in 205/45R16 either as I have asked at a number of places and no one could get them in that size. Maybe that has changed recently???

For street driving the Falken RT215/RT615 is better than the V70A. On the track after 3 laps or so to warm up the V70A is a bit better than the Falken and deals with higher temps a little better.

I am looking at the Federal SS595RS's for my car if I persist with 16" wheels. Just be sure when you get a price they quote you for the right model tyre. I asked for a set of SS595RS's and the base model SS595's were priced and ordered SS595 is the base model, the SS595Evo is next and then the SS595RS is the top one and would be closest to the Falken RT615 in performance.

Let us know what you end up choosing and what price they end up being.
    Wow! Good feedback! I'll see how I go.

The problem is that I won't have anything to compare them with except for T1Rs (worst tyre evar!).
    But if I end up getting the 595RSs and you've got a 100x4 PCD then you're free to give them a try. I've only got 6.5" rims though so not sure if you'll have problems with your brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by rob
    you have a mx-5 now?
    Yeah. You stopped paying attention to me so I had to do something to attract more boys to my yard.

Bought it about 2 months ago? Celica will probably go soon. *sniffle*
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by Nark
    Wow! Good feedback! I'll see how I go.

The problem is that I won't have anything to compare them with except for T1Rs (worst tyre evar!).
    But if I end up getting the 595RSs and you've got a 100x4 PCD then you're free to give them a try. I've only got 6.5" rims though so not sure if you'll have problems with your brakes.
    The T1R's are a little lacking aren't they, fine for pottering around but pushed hard I think the sidewalls are too flimsy and the tread lacks any real blocking to feel stable. My T1R's went from near new to illegal in one track day

The MX-5 won't accept a 205/50R16??

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

what kind of price per tyre are you looking at for these?

The T1R's are a little lacking aren't they, fine for pottering around but pushed hard I think the sidewalls are too flimsy and the tread lacks any real blocking to feel stable. My T1R's went from near new to illegal in one track day
    Yeah, soft sidewall, communication and progressiveness were very lacking. Horrible tyres.

The MX-5 won't accept a 205/50R16??
    Probably would fit. I'm just wary of the fact that they're 3.3% larger which means weight and torque multiplication works against me. When you've got an MX-5, you need to worry about these things 'coz it needs all the help it can get...
    BTW, RT615s come in that size as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PlacentaJuan
    what kind of price per tyre are you looking at for these?
    Prolly around $200-ish?
    Last edited by Nark; 24-06-2008 at 09:36 AM.
    Max

Some research from a fellow weight weenie.

205/45R16
    RE001: 9.5kg
    R-S2: 9.0kg
    595RS: 8.9kg

Comparing to RT615 16" sizes
    225/50R16 11.4kg
    215/45R16 9.8kg
    205/40R16 8.3kg

Geez, drivers of light cars can be anal over weight...
    Max

I think the Federals are more like about $260 in the size you are looking at.
    But I've not priced them myself so I could be wrong.
    You could also have some contacts that may help out in lowering the price a bit too.

and most of the time the extra weight is in the sidewalls, heavier means thicker obviously

Quote Originally Posted by Nark
    Geez, drivers of underpowered cars can be anal over weight...
    Fixed

I think the Federals are more like about $260 in the size you are looking at.
    Similar to what I was quoted a few months back for the 595RS, a local tyre outlet wanted over $300/tyre

Fixed
    LOL

T'is true.
    Max