Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bolt on wheel spacers, gd idea or not?

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice dave-86's Avatar

Default bolt on wheel spacers, gd idea or not?

hey guys,
    i've been thinking of getting some bolt on wheel spacers. I've read on the net that they widen the track on ur wheels and thus increasing control. However i've heard that they also put more stress on ur original studs and can consequently break off.

Has any one fitted bolt on spacers before? how are they like? are they any gd?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: bolt on wheel spacers, gd idea or not?

I couldn't imagine them putting more stress on the stud that a wheel with more neg offset. Having said that, I'd rather some hub centric and wheel centric spacers with longer studs that pick up the hub, spacer and wheel in one hit. Then the stress situation would be almost exactly like running a different offset wheel.

Junior Member Grease Monkey slydin-cressy-style's Avatar

I had some on my car and i was always paranoid

Ive also heard/witnessed some scary stuff reguarding spacers

My mate was coming from and off ramp from the highway and the spacer studs sheared off leaving him with a 3 wheeled car traveling at 80kph and his wheel going for a swim in a creek

If you really REALLY wanted/needed some, i wouldnt get anything manufactured in China. Wonky studs and hubs that dont fit flush are not hard to find

People say that the ones your get from Japan are of better quality. Personally i wouldnt run spacers ever again...
    SUPPORTING AUSTRALIAN PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS...
    TURBOSMART MICROTECH JUST ALLOY RADIATORS
    THANKS TO:
    - ALL TRANSMISSIONS - IMPORT AUTO PARTS
    - P.I.T.S - PLATNIUM AUTO CARE

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

The only reason for them is so you can be a tightarse and run incorrectly sized wheels.

If you want wider track then buy some - offset rims, dont space out + offset wheels. Also, if you did decide to use some then get:
    a: Longer wheel studs - ARP perhaps, although the cost of longer studs will probably go against the tightarse-ness of using wheel spacers.
    b: Use bolt on spacers - safer than the above, probably cheaper also.

Worth mentioning, the furthur out you space your wheels the more bearing sideload youll be creating.
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

Roll Ons? Carport Converter Endless's Avatar

My car came with a set of 20mm bolt on spacers and the rears even had a 5mm slip on underneath the bolt ons, i left them on the car after i bought it as the rims would of looked like absolute crap without them... ran them for 2+ years with many a burnout, slide, km done with no problems at all.

Just for the record they are off now and i have correct fitting wheels instead!
    If money is the root of all evil.... then why do they pass the collection plate around in church

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Piss poor "engineering" solution and illegal on anything that did not have them as standard (basically everything except XU1 Torana apparently... flat spacer, not bolt on adapter)...
    So Illegal, and unroadworthy, these could void your insurance should you need to make a claim...

Short answer.... Don't.

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

90% of cars with "mad offset" wheels in adelaide use spacers.

dont be scares, autobahn has a great range of spacers.

these are a must if you want to fit in with the adelaide street crowd and you dont have a decent engine: you need mad offset.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

here is an interesting thread about using bolt on spacers, with some VERY good info about why many are bad:

http://www.twincam.info/index.php?showtopic=29431

READ IT!!!
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

^^^ Beaten.

IF you are really set on spacers, make sure to get a set from a reputable brand and make sure they have the central flange for the wheel to sit on, either that or make sure the flange on your stock hub still protrudes enough to allow the rim to be supported by it.

But really, just buy the correct rims...

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

^^^ Give the man some rep. All the info you need has already been said by him on the twincam thread linked by witzl.
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

I had the centres of a pair of wheels bored out slightly and custom machined spacers pressed in. Uses longer studs and is nice and snug. Wasn't a cheap exercise but I'm not parranoid about it falling to pieces either.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wa5
    Piss poor "engineering" solution and illegal on anything that did not have them as standard (basically everything except XU1 Torana apparently... flat spacer, not bolt on adapter)
    930 Porsche Turbos had them, I know that for a fact.
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia SillyCarS's Avatar

i have a set of 300mm bolt ons, not cheap either for good construction and paying a machinis to get them to fit hub properly

make sure you clean the studs on your hub first, apply lots of locktite
    Last edited by SillyCarS; 23-06-2008 at 06:35 PM.

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SillyCarS
    i have a set of 300mm bolt ons, not cheap either for good construction and paying a machinis to get them to fit hub properly

make sure you clean the studs on your hub first, apply lots of locktite

in thats twin cam article the stuff about sitting in the hub is garbage, the hub serves to locate, it isnt a push fit , the studs bring it concentric

only prob i can see if cheap materials are used, lots of drift guys use them and put their cars through more paces than we do
    Wow, 300mm! that is some -VE offset!

Pretty sure you must mean 30mm

Cheers
    Wilbo

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SillyCarS
    in thats twin cam article the stuff about sitting in the hub is garbage, the hub serves to locate, it isnt a push fit , the studs bring it concentric
    edit: oh and before its mis interpeted im agreeing with terra operative from the point of good quality and the protrusion from the hub/spacer that locates the wheel. the whole shebang really does just rely on the studs shear strength. infact you'll find the most stress on the original studs due to added moment but reall is neg
    Incorrect. the studs used are NOT designed for shear loads (few bolts or studs in your car are). The hub protrusion prevents the wheel moving in a direction parallel to the hub, all the studs do is prevent the wheel falling off, or allowing the hub to rotate relative to the wheel.

The hub protrusion supports against horizontal and vertical loading, the studs support against rotational and lateral loading.