Thread: Need Help With Turbo Upgrade 1jz Vvti

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Need Help With Turbo Upgrade 1jz Vvti

Hi guys,

I have a 1JZ VVTI, i have a lot of mods and am currently running a garrett GT3040 setup. I need to upgarde the the turbo for more power but dont want to lose driveabillity. The current setup hits full boost at 3900 RPM. What is the most one can get out of a Gt3040? and secondly what is next logical turbo upgrade one should do if my goal is around 350rwkw.?

My specs are
    (1) 1JZ VVTI with R154 gbox
    (2) Gt3040 turbo with 0.82 housing
    (3) Sard 530cc injectors
    (4) PWR FMIC
    (3) Bosch 044
    (4) Apexi Power FC

I have also purchased the following but have installed yet, as iam waiting for my next tune?
    (1) Power enterprise 800 cc injectors
    (2) HKS Valcon Camshaft Pro 264 with 8.6 lift
    (3) HKS cam pulley

Your help is appreciated as i want my next tune to have the larger turbo.

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Default Re: Need Help With Turbo Upgrade 1jz Vvti

with the cams + gears and your new injectors you should be able to get 350rwkw using a Gt3582r without any real hassles.

a .82 rear should still keep it drivable and i would expexct full boost just after 4Krpm.

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

What does it make now? With what youve listed it should already be somewhere near the 300rwkw mark?

Also, are you using the factory AFM with your power FC? Ive heard the factory job becomes ineffective around 250 kw. Luckily the Power FC has a setting built in to use the larger 300zx job
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

With the 530cc injectors it made 250rwkw (the injectors maxed out). All the new gear should make a significant difference though. Do you think i need to use the Z32 AFM for the next tune?

Also If my current turbo makes full boost at around 4000rpm, then how much more lag should i expect from the GT35 with 0.82 housing. Also who do you guys recommend for tuning such a motor as I was very unhappy with the last tune.

thanx

Ive had 2 VVTi 1J powered cars now, one running power FC and one running motec with MAP and no AFM. I'm pretty sure if you try to make more power you'll need the bigger AFM since the PFC cant use a MAP.

I've used Unigroup Engineering in Girraween for my last 3 cars, very happy with their work. I know Linden and a few others also have their tuning done there

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Quote Originally Posted by bm1jz
    With the 530cc injectors it made 250rwkw (the injectors maxed out). All the new gear should make a significant difference though. Do you think i need to use the Z32 AFM for the next tune?

Also If my current turbo makes full boost at around 4000rpm, then how much more lag should i expect from the GT35 with 0.82 housing. Also who do you guys recommend for tuning such a motor as I was very unhappy with the last tune.

thanx
    530cc injectors should get you well over 300rwkw, heck i did 270rwkw thru an auto using 430cc injectors, maybe a tuner thing but not sure.

Z32 MAF will do 300rwkw but if you want more than that it may be worthwhile to change over to a Q45 MAF (similar price second hand), ill find out monday.

i doubt you would see a big difference in spool time between the GT3082r and the GT3582r i would expect full boost by 4K-4300 with either turbo but the 35r may be a little less responsive during gear changes, depending on how you drive of course.

the GT3582r will be alot nicer to drive off boost also.

i use Unigroup Engineering for 90% of my tuning needs, and he does an awesome job.

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

Thanks a lot fellas,

I will be definately using them for my next tune. The last guy who tuned it did a poor job (wont mention names). I have a cold start that lasts for approx 12 - 15 minutes every time. As soon as i let my foot off the accelerator for a moment the idle drops and the car stalls. Eventually when it warms up (usually 60 degrees) it goes into the habbit of dropping to about 100 - 150 rpm (just about to stall) and then it picks itself up to about 1200 rpm again. This continues for some time. (Bloody annoying). And yes, 250rwkw was very disappointing for that setup. Something is going on and i dont know what. anyways it Looks the GT35 is the way to go.

Thanx

My PFC self tuned for idle and cold start

Might be worth resetting it and following the manual to set it up again. Sure, you'll lose the tune that's in it but it doesnt sound like it was much chop anyway

The factory tune in a PFC is actually pretty good, but you have to be careful cos theyre setup by default for higher RON japanese fuel.

Linden, will the Q45 AFM work? It isn't an option in the software

Low rep 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Roadrunner
    530cc injectors should get you well over 300rwkw, heck i did 270rwkw thru an auto using 430cc injectors, maybe a tuner thing but not sure.

Z32 MAF will do 300rwkw but if you want more than that it may be worthwhile to change over to a Q45 MAF (similar price second hand), ill find out monday.

i doubt you would see a big difference in spool time between the GT3082r and the GT3582r i would expect full boost by 4K-4300 with either turbo but the 35r may be a little less responsive during gear changes, depending on how you drive of course.

the GT3582r will be alot nicer to drive off boost also.

i use Unigroup Engineering for 90% of my tuning needs, and he does an awesome job.

cheers
    linden
    I have to agree here, I've seen a 1JZ pull 250rwkw on stock injectors, and they are 380cc IIRC?

HP Guru Backyard Mechanic driftedmz20's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bm1jz

thanx

LOL WTF??? sif 530cc inj will be maxed out @ 250rwkw!! maybe take it to another tuner. if you are located in NSW try ADAM from JEM

could also put in a FPR to get more out of your injectors but i think with current setup as said before you should be close to if not just over the 300rwkw mark with that setup