Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Cold Start Injector Pipe

  1. #1
    Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    4,628

    Default Cold Start Injector Pipe

    hey peoples,

    Where can i get stuff like the cold start injector pipe. With ends or something that will substitue this. I need a longer one for a rwd manifold for a smallport.
    Im also going to be running a microtech so would i need the cold start setup or should i just block it off?
    This One
    Last edited by Cuzzo; 07-07-2006 at 06:46 PM.
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

  2. #2
    i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,182

    Default Re: Cold Start Injector Pipe

    just block it off unless you live where it is 0 degrees or lower regularly.

    my smallpoert has never had the CS injector hooked up and works fine.

    also, it is not controlled by the ECU at all, so bear this in mind if you do live in antarctica.

  3. #3
    Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    4,628

    Default Re: Cold Start Injector Pipe

    ok blocked off it goes thanx mate.
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

  4. #4
    i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,182

    Default Re: Cold Start Injector Pipe

    my car does need a bit of babying when cold, but this is more due to the fact my idle bybass is plated off. idles at 500 RPM until the temp needle starts moving.

    and for some entertaining engrish instructions on how to remove CS:

    http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl...language_tools

    "When in 4 connected throttle installation kits of the WOODY, it became unnecessary, removing cold start injection the メクラボルト which is used entering, increase it is. (In the story of the WOODY, searching, the screw of this pitch is not everywhere, it seems) separately, you acquire cold start injection and, of course it is the OK even to the cartridge, but you saw the eye which * & *. With the っ, of the method the appearance of being visible cheaply well was devised"

  5. #5
    Junior Member Domestic Engineer mic*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    628

    Default Re: Cold Start Injector Pipe

    ^^^

    WTF???

    So shiny, your vacuum pulls the TB open for idle air???

    ...Didn know that CSI (not the show) is controlled by thermostat...
    meh...

  6. #6
    i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,182

    Default Re: Cold Start Injector Pipe

    nah, there is a seperate adjustable throttle plate bypass (the vertical flathead screw adjusts this)

    CSI is wired to its own thermoswitch and the crank signal form the key. I have been thinking about wiring mine so it squirts just while you are cranking, but haven't ever had a problem with it, so haven't bothered.

  7. #7
    Junior Member Domestic Engineer mic*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    628

    Default Re: Cold Start Injector Pipe

    Quote Originally Posted by shinybluesteel
    CSI is wired to its own thermoswitch and the crank signal form the key. I have been thinking about wiring mine so it squirts just while you are cranking, but haven't ever had a problem with it, so haven't bothered.
    If it aint broke why fix it.

    So if its wired to a thermoswitch AND the crank signal, are you saying that it squirts X fuel while thermoswitch is closed, but X+Y fuel while the starter is cranking?

    How does it pulse if not via ECU?
    meh...

  8. #8
    i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,182

    Default Re: Cold Start Injector Pipe

    the cold start injector is a seperate thing,

    think of it as a fuel tap more than an injector, it is designed to be either open or closed - it doesn't pulse like a conventional ijector.

  9. #9
    Forum Member 1st year Apprentice
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    philippines
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: Cold Start Injector Pipe

    Quote Originally Posted by shinybluesteel
    the cold start injector is a seperate thing,

    think of it as a fuel tap more than an injector, it is designed to be either open or closed - it doesn't pulse like a conventional ijector.
    how safe is this disabling the cold injector pipe?

  10. #10
    Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    12,494

    Default Re: Cold Start Injector Pipe

    Quote Originally Posted by cuzzo
    hey peoples,

    Where can i get stuff like the cold start injector pipe. With ends or something that will substitue this. I need a longer one for a rwd manifold for a smallport.
    Im also going to be running a microtech so would i need the cold start setup or should i just block it off?
    This One
    you would make it out of flexible hose and two banjo ends that you take to Enzed/Pirtek etc and get them to crimp on.

    if your aftermarket ECU does not have good warmup/temp enrichments... bin it..
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

    AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

  11. #11
    Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    4,628

    Default Re: Cold Start Injector Pipe

    ok thanx mate. i might just do it. even if i dont need to with an aftermarket ecu. i guess toyota designed it that way for a reason.
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

  12. #12
    Forum Member 1st year Apprentice
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    philippines
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: Cold Start Injector Pipe

    any updates on this? what is the advantage and disadvantage of disabling the cold start injector?

  13. #13
    Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    4,628

    Default Re: Cold Start Injector Pipe

    well im still getting the motor ready to go in my ke30 so no updates from me just yet.
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

  14. #14
    Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    12,494

    Default Re: Cold Start Injector Pipe

    Quote Originally Posted by chadix24_7
    any updates on this? what is the advantage and disadvantage of disabling the cold start injector?
    cold start injector is only required when your ECU does not have the ability to increase fuel for a cold start.

    earlier toyota ECU's have temp compensation for fuel pulse width, but to simplify the ECU, they chose not to allow it to provide the afterstart enrichment based on temp.

    instead, they use a seperate coolant switch which opens the fuel tap (thanks SBS ) for a certain time/temp (can't remember)

    if your ECU has the ability to inject afterstart enrichment, and to compensate for temperature, then there is absolutely no need for a cold start injector.
    of course you can retain it and use it and not have the ECU do it, but there is no advantage, and you may be using too much fuel (usually.. as opposed to too little).
    tuning cold start is pretty easy too just takes a few mornings
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

    AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

  15. #15
    Forum Member 1st year Apprentice
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    philippines
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: Cold Start Injector Pipe

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    cold start injector is only required when your ECU does not have the ability to increase fuel for a cold start.

    earlier toyota ECU's have temp compensation for fuel pulse width, but to simplify the ECU, they chose not to allow it to provide the afterstart enrichment based on temp.

    instead, they use a seperate coolant switch which opens the fuel tap (thanks SBS ) for a certain time/temp (can't remember)

    if your ECU has the ability to inject afterstart enrichment, and to compensate for temperature, then there is absolutely no need for a cold start injector.
    of course you can retain it and use it and not have the ECU do it, but there is no advantage, and you may be using too much fuel (usually.. as opposed to too little).
    tuning cold start is pretty easy too just takes a few mornings

    so do you mean to say that it's better left connected, rather than not to have it at all?

    regards.

Similar Threads

  1. Wobbly steering under braking when cold
    By Ta2272 in forum Tech and Conversions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-02-2006, 10:59 PM
  2. 3SGTE Hard to start
    By SilverGhost in forum Tech and Conversions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 27-01-2006, 11:16 AM
  3. car won't start
    By chris davey in forum Tech and Conversions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 17-01-2006, 08:13 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •