Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken bolt removal services

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Broken bolt removal services

I may need someone to come out and remove a broken flywheel bolt from a 4AGE crankshaft(a suprise the previous owner of the engine left for me! )

I've heard there are services available for this but have never had to use one before. Can anyone recommend someone in Melbourne(S.E. suburbs to be specific) who can do this?

Toymods Club Member Conversion King big_zop's Avatar

Default Re: Broken bolt removal services

Not sure how much they retail for but doing it yourself with an easy out isnt that hard. Should defnitely be cheaper than getting someone else to do it, or you might even be able to borrow one (though here or a friendly mechanic).

Have you been able to remove the other bolts and get the flywheel off though?

Oh, and if you dont know what an easy out is - its basically a tapered, left hand thread screw that screws into a hole that you drill into the offending bolt. and since its left hand thread it will work the bolt out - shouldnt be too hard especially if the head has come off - relieving the torque on the bolt.

Hey - yeah I will have a bit of a go at it myself before I call someone in, I am just a bit worried about how difficult it will be to drill it being a high tensile flywheel bolt(dont want to risk buggering my crank shaft), plus I will need to buy reverse drill bits and the easy-outs, which could end up costing more than getting somone out to do it for me?

Yeah the flywheel is off, I bought the engine minus the flywheel and clutch and didnt realise until later that there was a broken bolt left in the crankshaft by the previous owner

You wont need a reverse drill bit - just anything that will drill a hole in the bolt (may need to be a bit better quality than the generic stuff). just remember to lubricate it well - WD40 should be enough just make sure you keep applying it.

Its been a while since i did it, but you use either a suitable socket/shifter to hold the end of the easy out and turn it anti-clockwise or it will spupply this part (i borrowed it so im not sure either). Thats it, no other 'special' tools other than the easy out itself.

Cool, I'll give it a go - would still like to know who I can call to get it removed just in case I dont have any success.

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

reversed drill bit is the easiest way, as soon as it bites once it will remove the bolt for you.

other options are
    try tapping it anticlockwise with a centre punch (just be really gentle)
    if there is a small shank exposed from the back of the crank you may be able to unwind it with pliers

ummmm, post a photo as i may have some other tips.

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

UZA80 Automotive Encyclopaedia horse's Avatar

where in SE are you? if you're near westall road you can come borrow my easy out set.

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

all well and good til the easy out snaps...
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

Forum Member

i had two bolts stuck in a turbo flange, tried easy outs and drilling gave up in the end and took it to a mechanic charged me $40!!! for both of them......

corollamanic Backyard Mechanic

LOCTITE ironically enough have released a product called freeze and release.

it is a spray that freezes the (assumed broken/rusted) bolt/nut so that the inner shrinks to

release the rust/corrosion and therefore making it easier to remove.

it sells for about 13 bucks a can.

PS if the thread in the crank where the bolt is broken goes right thru, you could drill the bolt very slowly clockwise from the broken side and hope that the drill bit bites in, and keeps driving the broken part thru the other side.

corollamanic Backyard Mechanic

oh, and to answer your original question that nobody else has...

"the thread doctor" is a mobile thread service. In the phone book, usually booked for about a week solid. hope this helps

Cheers guys - I'll take a closer look this weekend, its been a while since I've looked at it. The engine has been sitting on an engine stand for the last 12 mths waiting for me to get back to it.

where in SE are you? if you're near westall road you can come borrow my easy out set.
    Yeah I actually work in Clayton Sth - if I think I'll need the easy-outs I'll let you know - cheers. (should have read this thread before replying on HR asking where you are!)

"the thread doctor"
    ...ahh thats them - thx

Quote Originally Posted by love ke70
    all well and good til the easy out snaps...
    i know that too well.
    havent touched the motor for a few weeks because of exams etc
    the stud is stuck pretty solid from corrosion/rust and is only exposed by 10mm or so.
    anyone got suggestions on how to get it out? there is part of an easy out in the bolt so cant just drill it *looks in lindens direction for help*
    milk and juice come in 2L, The cheapest wines come in 5L, the finest vodka comes in 1L

if its out 10mm, try some vice grips (that is assuming you have the space to get at them).

Failing that, you could probably tack on a bolt head and use a socket normally.