Thread: RN25 + 18rc possible?????

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default RN25 + 18rc possible?????

Hi all

I'm trying to figure out if an 18R from a corona, celica or the like will go into my brother's RN25 1974 Hilux Ute, currently running a 12R.

The only info he's got suggests it can't be done, but this is coming from people who have 12r's for hideous prices to sell him...

Are the mounts similar enough to fit an 18R where the 12R currently sits?

Any info would be helpful...

Cheers
    Vanman
    Last edited by vanman; 22-05-2008 at 09:58 PM.

Default Re: RN25 + 18rc possible?????

yes, it can be done. you have choices. i converted my parent's RN25 with an 18R and 4 speed from an RT104. dellow make a bellhousing to put an 18R onto the 12R bellhousing. $400-odd bucks from memory. there is a bit of mucking about with the engine mounts too.
    it's definitely not hard though.
    so much stuff. so little time.

I was actually looking at putting in an 18R + 5spd from a celica if possible, so gearbox to engine would not be a problem, just looking at mounts for both and available space in engine bay and tunnel.

Was there any issues bolting an 18R in where the 12R is? do they use the same mounts or is fabrication needed? Spacing for exhaust any issues? Any further info on this conversion would be great, as I can't even find a 12R at the moment...

Cheers
    Vanman

i had to shift the bracket for the handbrake cable over. also had to cut a piece out of the centre of the gearbox cross member. then welded some braces on, and a piece to bolt the rear mount to. speedo cable went straight on. you will need a slip yoke from a later 2wd hilux.

the engine mounts i bodged ( farm ute. ) but you would probably need to cut them off and re position them. i used the corona's radiator no probs. i'm not sure what sump i used. i found a donk in the wrecker's with one that looked ok. ( aside from a few small conrod holes ! )

the throttle cable ended up going on with a combo of 12/18r carby bits. the alternator is in a very similar position. for the exhaust, i just used a corona front piece and connected it to the old system. this is a good and simple conversion. starter and clutch hydraulics is all no problem. nothing hits or fouls bay and tunnel wise.
    so much stuff. so little time.