Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Sam's MA61 7MGTE Conversion

Kamber King Conversion King Negative Boost's Avatar

Default Re: Sam's MA61 7MGTE Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by whatthe?
    The one youve pictured is the one I suggested using if you wanted to run a guage and the light
    Sorry to ask another silly question, but you mean the one thats blocked off or the one i have marked "option".

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

The one thats blocked off is blocked off from the factory. Thats the one I suggested you use for your gauge. The one that the sender is fitted to from factory is right up the front, cant see it in the photo, but like I said it's right near where your turbo oil in line joins the block with a banjo. What youve got circled as option looks like one of the studs for the nuts that holds the turbo oil return on? Sorry, it's a little blurry there. If you take a pic of the whole side of the engine I'll mark where the front oil sender should be is for ya
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

Thanks for verifying that Matt, helps alot.

I'll take some more pictures on Sat, when i start ripping the 6M out. But looks like its going to be pretty smooth sailing from here on. Thanks alot to you guys of course.

Today Im a Domestic Engineer Enchanter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Boost
    .... But looks like its going to be pretty smooth sailing from here on....
    You do realise you have just jinxed yourself

Seriously though, I'll have to come down and check it out, its looking good

Haha, yeh i was thinking that when i wrote that... I hope i havnt jinxed myself.

Yeh sure, if you want to come down and check it out sometime feel free too. I was planning a bit of a road trip up north after i finish my conversion. Got relatives in Luanny and Deloraine, also thought i'd visit Jayson and Hazkell in Luanny, Chris in Forth, and you, in Burny right?

Starting tis morning after i get some sleep. Will take heaps of pictures and let you guys know how it goes.

Today Im a Domestic Engineer Enchanter's Avatar

Yep Im in Burnie, I wouldn't mind a trip to Launceston to catch up with the others aswell. At this point Ive still only met one other fellow toymoder so its time I pulled my finger out

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Got the engine out of the car as planned today.

Had a mate helping me all day undoing various things and parts that i pointed to, which was very helpful. I started by disconnecting all the wiring and labeling it, so i could remember what was what later on. Found some nice allmost disintergrated electric plugs just below the fuse box, next to the battery which look to of been corroded by battery acid. So that'll need fixing if i still need those plugs after the conversion. There are wires running all over the engine bay! What a mess i thought. Will have to do something about that too.

Took off the exhaust, from the flange on the manifold. Then cam had to get out the hack saw and chop the dump pipes off from the rest of the exhaust becuase they were welded straight on. I'm going to be getting a 3 inch dump pipe from the turbo back but have it running into my existing exhaust system.

Took the radiator out, disconnected the A/C lines, took some more electrical wires off from the starter motor and gearbox, disconnected the speedo cable and clutch cylinder. Took the front half of the tailshaft off and took the steering rack out.

Then Cam had to go to work so i got dad into action. By this stage everything was ready to go and the engine was just waiting to be pulled out, we were also running out of light so we were moving quickly. So we got the hoist into action. Got the trolly jack under the gearbox, undid the gearbox crossmember mounts. Undid the engine mount bolts and we start to lift her up. Somethings not quite right.... Think.... Gear shifter, dope! how'd i miss that.... Got that out of the way and the engine and gearbox started to move out alot smoother now. Wait... the left side of the engine dosnt want to come out and its slanting alot. Ohno, the engine vibration dampener... Quickly undid that and the engine swung forward quite a bit.

Phew EVERYTHING was undone now. Lowered the front (was on jack stands) so the engine would clear the header panel. The front bar would've been about 10cm off the ground, just enough room for the engine cranes arms to go underneath the car. We got it out just in time as the sunset over the hill. Couldn't be bothered to get the sump off after a days work and it was dark so we called it a day,

Would've had more pictures had i remembered to bring the memory card along with the camera early on in the day, so i was just using a disposable camera untill i got the memory card. Will post those pictures once i get it devloped.

But heres a few nice pictures of my new rotors and calipers

Yep, everything in the pics looks as it should be. Use the oil sender for your idiot light and use the big blockedz0r one at the back of the block for another sender for a oil pressure gauge. Problem solvered!

Sounds all too easy, cheers

Thanks for those pictures Cruzida aswell.

Another question, where did you guys put your oil cooler return hose back into the engine? Did you weld a thread into the 5M sump and plumbed it like the 7M sump is. Or did you use the old unused oil dipstick location as a return point for the oil?

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Mine had no oil cooler.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Might want to look at a 7MGE sump. It's already a front sump, if you score the oil pickup it'll bolt straight in as well and I believe it already has the threaded hole in the sump for oil return.
    I'm pretty sure that what mine is, it was already on the engine when I bought it

Yeh, it'd be nice to find a sump. But i dont think i can afford the time to source a 7MGE oil pan unfortunatly.

Didnt get much done at all on the car this week mainly because of work and had to do other stuff that cropped up unfortunalty.

I did manage to take the gearbox, mounts, oil switch, and oil pump off the 6M. I left the sump on the 6M so i could put it back on the ground without damaging internals.

I also cleaned up my calipers and gave them a nice coat of red paint, very happy how they turned out. Notice i left the 'nissan' on the calipers, i like them better like that and should make some people look twice.

Also started fabbing up a custom pod filter adapter for the Trust pod filter i bought off ebay. I was told the adapter was for an MA70 but alas it wasnt for a 7MGTE, so i've had to cut that adapter in half and fab up a bracket to suit the 7MGTE AFM. Now i just have to get the bracket ive made and the adapter welded up.
    Also got some new brake lines made up for $44 each at Cable Mate.

Also Cruz, that small plug that we didnt know what it was. Its the spot where the oil switch mounts on the 6M.

what youve labeled as the oil sender is a coolant drain plug, and what youve labeled option is a blanked off port into the main oil galley
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38