Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Sam's MA61 7MGTE Conversion

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

Default Re: Sam's MA61 7MGTE Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by ed_jza80

what youve labeled as the oil sender is a coolant drain plug, and what youve labeled option is a blanked off port into the main oil galley
    Really? Phew! Lucky you let us know that Ed, I was going to try and attach an oil pressure gauge to the coolant bung on my new engine
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

Kamber King Conversion King Negative Boost's Avatar

Many thanks ed, very glad i didnt plumb my oil gauge into the coolant passage. Will check the blanked off port as an option next time i get a chance to.

Well, forgot to check that block off i mentioned above, will do that tommorow.

Had a day off work so that meant a day working on the car. Was a fairly productive day.
    I removed the sump off the 6M and cleaned that up with some degreaser. I still have to give it a couple coats of black paint though. Here's a picture of the 6M stipped of all parts that i need. If anyone wants it for $300 they can have it. It will have a 7MGTE sump put on it when i sell it. All electrical wiring and what-not will be included.

Mounted all the gear on the Right hand side of the 7M. From left, AC compressor, Engine Mount, Plenum Support, Fuel Filter and Gearbox support. Only when i had the AC compressor on, i realised i didnt put a coat of paint over the grinding i did to the bracket to make it fit. So i had to take it off again, then i realised i didnt have any paint...

Didn't get around to taking the sump off the 7M today, so that'll wait to another day.

I'm giving the engine bay a coat of paint aswell, so i got some degreaser and high pressure hose onto it today to clean it up a little before i sand it back and spray it. I also got rid of all the annoying wiring not needed for the 7M conversion. I agree when people say that the wiring in the Supra's engine bay aint the best from factory, it just looks so messy.

All the wiring that i didnt need in the engine bay anymore, mostly all Igniter wires and a few random ones.

Yes that engine bay is cleaner than it was before, still looks pretty shocking though hey. Should be looking good after i sand it back and give it a coat of paint though.

And thats it for the day

I tried test fitting the RH engine mount with the remote oil filter adapter on it. And found that it fouled. So i figured that i need to swivel the filter mount around a few degrees to clear the engine mount. So i tired undoing that big nut on the end but it just wouldn't budge. It was done on pretty tight. You can do that right though? Losen off that nut and swivel that filter mount around a few degrees right?

Sam

Junior Member Grease Monkey hazkell's Avatar

looks like your havin some fun there sam.....

Yup, sure am having some fun hazkell

Did some work on the gearbox today. It wasnt in the original 'plan' to pull the gearbox apart and it wasnt really idea either. I blame it on my dad
    I had a noisy bearing when sitting in neutral with the clutch out and dad said it was the input shaft bearing in the gearbox. The only way to replace that bearing is to crack the gearbox apart.
    After we cracked the box open, we decided, well we've gone this far, might as well change all the bearings. Good thing aswell becuase we found a couple that didnt sound too good and had a bit of excessive movement in them. We got as far as the 5th gear and bearing without a bearing puller and it was getting late so we called it a day. Gee i wish i didnt have to do this.
    This was so not in the plan, i shouldve just left it alone, let it blow up someday and buy another one. But ahwell...
    This is what it looked like at the end of the day.

And The bell housing and case with the TSRM sprawled across the table

Boobs!!! Automotive Encyclopaedia Stefan's Avatar

This is making my 1G conversion seem like too much work...

Did a little bit more on the engine today. Didnt do as much as i would've liked to though becuase i worked to midnight last night (wensday) and had to be at the airport at 530am to see some mates off. So i was pretty stuffed and went back to bed when i should've been working on the car.
    But i still got a bit done. I put a couple layers of paint on the bare metal of the AC bracket, so that'll be ready to go on next time. I put my 5M flywheel and HD Clutch on today. Once i got everything on, i realised i left the spacer for the Auto box (7M was originally auto) on the end of the crank shaft.

So after torquing everything up with loctite, i had to take it all back off again, take off the spacer and put it all back on again. Silly me.
    I undid the Union bolt for the oil filter bracket. I had to use an extension bar in the end to undo it, it was done up that tight! I was quite surprised as it was only supposed to be done up to 36ft-lb and didnt appear to have any loctite on the thread. Just done up really tight i spose. So i swivelled the filter bracket around towards the front so the remote oil filter lines would clear the engine mount and made sure the 'out' line to the oil cooler cleared the powersteering pump. I only test fitted it at the moment becuase i still have to drill the new hole for the oil dipstick and that would've been in the way.
    I managed to get the old brake lines off the Supra, they were on tight enough i managed to round both nuts. So i ended up using vise grips done up really tight and alot of brute force to get them off.
    Also i took all the nuts and bolts off the sump but its been siliconed on in the past, so that'll be a bum to take off.
    I pulled apart the 5M oil pump and checked the clearances and they were all within spec. I then cleaned it with some kero and put it back together. Now its just sitting in the garage waiting for me to take the sump off the 7M so i can pop it in.

I'll have pictures up sometime later as i forgot my camera once again.

Oh and Matt, i checked the port i had labelled as "Option" and yes you can use that. That plumbs straight into an oil gallery as Ed mentioned above.

And that was it for the day.
    Last edited by Negative Boost; 02-06-2006 at 10:14 PM.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer urantia's Avatar

boy how did i miss this thread! the ex dingaling donk is looking marvelous sam!! - I can see your doing it properly!
    unlike me who rushed my 1jz conversion too quick - i reckon i'll have to pull my motor and gearbox out again and replace things like the throwout bearing, install the oil pressure sender properly and a few other things i should of done while it was all out of the car.

Can't wait to see how it goes in your light ma60.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    97 Hiace AWD Super Custom 1kz turbo diesel (sold)
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)

Yeh it should go pretty dam good, which reminds me i still have to install that oil pressue guage line. Probably do that on wensday. I'll also be pulling the sump off, taking out the oil pump, popping the AC compressor back on the engine after spraying the bare metal and putting a new fuel filter on it aswell. I'll also look at getting a return line plumbed into the 6M/5M sump as the return line for the cooler. Should be a fun day, its also my birthday on wensday! Turning 20, scary stuff....

Yeah that oil cooler i dunno how useful it ever was for me, it never even got lukewarm, probably blocked > better check before you install it.

oh man wait til your 25, it gets worse! oh and happy bday
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)

Here are some pics of how i've mounted the oil filter adapter onto the side of the block to let me still use the oil cooler and an adapter for a remote mounted oil filter. Clearances are tightish but it works.

Works been going slowly this week mainly because of working.

Did some work on it today but got very little done.

I started working on the bracket for the MA70 radiator to go in. I drilled 2 40mm holes with a hole saw and then filled down the edges. I still have to cut down the bracket somewhat and test fit it in the car before i drill any mounting holes or cut off any more excess metal.

And i started scraping off the cork gasket on the sump. I've done this using a chisel and mostly a short bladed knife. This is one bum of a job to do, its time consuming and annoying. But its got to be done.

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

that looks like a mid sump. this is going into a MA61 right?
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

strange, well that motor came out of my mk3 if that clears anything up.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4