Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Sam's MA61 7MGTE Conversion

Kamber King Conversion King Negative Boost's Avatar

Default Re: Sam's MA61 7MGTE Conversion

Gee thats alright. Pity i'll just be using my stock 7M intercooler with some dodgy intercooler pipeing. Atleast it'll have a nice 3inch turbo back exhaust on it

End of this week i should have the engine ready to be dropped in. I've still got to clean up the sump and get that bung put onto it aswell.
    I've also got to 'cement' the oil dipstick tube into the block too. We drilled the hole through the block using a 10.5mm drill bit. The same size as the Oil dipstick tube. That was a mistake as now the tube is loose in the hole. We should've drilled it with a 10.4mm drill bit or something similar so the dipstick tube was a nice tight fit. But no biggie.
    Then have to fix some crush washers for the oil pump banjo fittings and a few other things.
    Have to clean the metal shavings out of the block from the dipstick drilling. Just using some kero in a spray gun to do that with.
    Clean the base of the block, just have to get rid of the silicon that held the stock 7M sump on.
    Pop sump on, clean new gearbox up, put gearbox on engine and she'll be ready to drop into my car finally! Fingers crossed i'll be able to get everything done around work. This is going to be a busy week.

Well, just a small update today. Not much has been happenin becuase of work like usual.

I did manage to clean the block out, but i still have to cement in the oil dipstick tube into the block. I've also managed to mount the complete oil dipstick tube onto the powersteering reservoir as it would have been like from factory. All it needed was a little bending to take out some of the 'bend' so the hole on the bracket on the dipstick tube lined up with the bolt hole on the side of the resivour. Sounds confusing hey... I'll take some pictures on monday and post them up.

This is how the dipstick tube lines up against the PS Resivoir before straightening the tube. You can see how the hole in the bracket on the dipstick tube dosnt line up with the hole on the side of the PS resivoir.

So after a little straightening, the 2 holes line up perfectly. You've just got to be patient and bend a little, then line up, bend a little, etc. Till its spot on.

You have to file/drill out the hole on the dipstick tube just a little bit so the 12mm bolt, that mounted in the hole next to the PS resivoir, can fit through it. And thats it with the 12mm bolt in place, just as before. I havn't tried fitting everything else down on the block yet with the oil dipstick, e.g. the Oil adapter + Relocation fitting and the PS Pump to Engine Mount bracket. I'll test fit all these soon.

Here, you can just see the top of the oil dipstick tube with the (accordian pipe?) front pipe on the turbo. The oil dipstick tube touches the accordian pipe but dosnt press on it and its not a concern.

Also mounted the ‘power steering pump to block’ bracket. That required some bending and grinding to fit as well. Its all by feel, just bend it a little, test fit, bend some more, test fit, etc. Until it fits perfectly.

I've also taken off the turbo supports to give them a coat of paint. They were looking very rusty and thought why not. It'll improve the look of the engine a little and should stop some of that rust.

I acquired my new W55 on Thursday and spend the day cleaning it up and started to put the W to M bellhousing on. But the threads inside the gb were dirty and it was getting late so i called it a night. So the bellhousing will go on, on Monday. So at the moment i have a very clean looking gearbox sitting in my garage at the moment awaiting a bellhousing.

I've also made some more progress on my MA70 radiator support bracket. It's pretty simple to make. All you need is a 3mm Aluminium (or steel) 90 degree piece of metal, then drill the holes for the radiator mounts and cut off excess metal and drill mounting holes. I'll post up measurements and specifications at a later date but heres some pictures on how it’s going.

In this picture where the 2 arrows are, there were 2 little 'humps' in the chassis. I flatened them down so they were flat with the rest of the chassis so the bracket im making wouldn't sit on top of these 'humps' and would sit flat on the chassis.

I’ll take pictures of everything on Monday and update the lot so you guys have some 7M eye candy
    Last edited by Negative Boost; 26-06-2006 at 07:18 PM.

If anyone was thinking for their 7M conversion about thier AC. I can confirm that the 5M AC manifold does not swap over onto the 7M compressor unfortunatly. I have heard that 5M manifolds swap over to 1JZ engines. And i thought that the 5M manifold might be the same as the 7M ones. But alas they are not. Some pics below tell the story.

5M:

7M:

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Boost
    I I have heard that 5M manifolds swap over to 1JZ engines.
    I'm pretty sure that is either an Americism, or the American 5M's have different compressors.

The 7M compressor will be compatible with the 1JZ one, but the 5M is old school.

Even my '86 5MGE was the same as your 84 5ME
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Ah, thats interesting. It sorta explains it becuase i did pull that infomation off the yanks forums. I wonder why the yanks got different AC compressors...

An interesting thing to note. While i was under the engine scraping off the old gasket i noticed on the crank was stamped '6M', right in the middle of it, inbetween cyl 3 & 4. I thought that was a bit funny. Then i went looking for oil squirters for the pistons and couldnt find any. So that kinda clarifies what i was thinking, that it is an early 7M. I spose the engine number of 5202 would've also given it away but ya never know. It might've been a one of build with oil squirters and 400hp

Junior Member Domestic Engineer urantia's Avatar

no shit! well i had a feeling it may of had a 6m crank due to it bieng from an 87 ma70, but no oil squirters? i thougth all 7mgte's had oil squirters!!

So less counterwrights slightly higher RPM with the 6m crankshafted 7m's if memory serves me correctly, or it might be the other way around.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    97 Hiace AWD Super Custom 1kz turbo diesel (sold)
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)

No, i think your right. If my memory serves me correct, early 7M's didnt have oil squirters and also revved a little higher (only by 200rpm or so though i think).

Dammit, i was going to ask you something but ive forgotten... Ha, that says alot for my memory

edit: nvm, i remember now, lol
    Last edited by Negative Boost; 27-06-2006 at 11:16 PM.

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

Interesting.... The megap00 has both a 6M crank AND oil squirters. Good ol' toyota, chopping and changing things
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

Early 7M - no squirter, 6M crank
    mid 7M - squirters, 6M crank
    late 7M - squirters, unstamped crank.

They changed the crank pulley too
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

Haha, i'll take another gander when i'm doing some work on it next time and double check.

Cheers Cruz, do you have any other infomation or could point me somewhere about the different 7M's?
    Last edited by Negative Boost; 27-06-2006 at 11:36 PM.

Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

Thanks very muchso!

I’ve got all the pieces of the puzzle! Let the assembling begin!

Well to start off with, the W55. In all its greasy glory. After some degreaser and a high pressure cleaner she came up nice and beaUtiful.

I had to tap the threads for the bell housing because they became very dirt and the bolts didn’t want to go all the way down. So after some tappin’ the bell housing was ready to go on.
    I also decided to replace the front and rear seals while she was out aswell. Couldn’t hurt and save a hell of a lot of effort later on if they decided to leak on me! Had some trouble putting the rear seal in, she just kept on wanting to slip out on me. So I made up this SST (Sams Special Tools) to help get the stupid thing in. Its just a piece of MDF with a hole in the middle big enough for the rear shaft to go through. Then it was just some simple hammering!

And here she is all complete with clutch bitties too, sitting next to the 7M eager to have some of that poO powah put through her

I picked up my sump from the engineers shop today. After 2 weeks of sitting on the ground collecting dust, my engineer did something about it when I walked in. So after 15 minutes of playing with the dog and checking out the collection of rims he had, I had one 5M sump with a oil return bung in it! Shweeeeet!

I cleaned the rest of the cork gasket off with a blow torch and wire brush! So much easier than using a knife. And after some more degreaser and high pressure gun, she was all nice and clean. I also decided on giving her a coat of paint because there were some bare patches of metal on it. So cleaned it some more, some sanding and gave her a lick of lushious red paint!

And I finally mounted everything on the RH side of the block. That’s dipstick, oil filter adapter, power steering pump brace and blocked off the old dipstick hole. There’s not much room down there around the oil filter adapter. There’s about a 2mm clearance between the metal oil line to the cooler and the dipstick. And everything else is close as, as you can see.

This is a bad picture of the bolt blocking off the old dipstick hole but its nuffin fancy. Its just a soft piece of iron at the top with some gasket goo in there aswell to seal it with and a nut on the other side

And here’s a random picture of the difference between the M and R series bell housings.

Now all I’ve got to do is:
    Plumb in the oil pressure gauge line.
    Install Oil Pump
    Sump
    Bracket under the turbo
    Put accordion pipe on
    Tighten a few random bolts and she’s ready to be dropped in

I’ve also repacked my bearings in my hubs so all the R33 brake gear is ready to be bolted on as well. But that’s not going to happen until after the engine goes in.
    Last edited by Negative Boost; 11-07-2006 at 02:00 AM.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer urantia's Avatar

kick arse sam! taking the time and doin it right the first time as cruz used to have in his sig.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    97 Hiace AWD Super Custom 1kz turbo diesel (sold)
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)