Thread: Hi all, i need help on aircond for my estima

Junior Member Grease Monkey progkamol's Avatar

Default Hi all, i need help on aircond for my estima

Hi all, its been a while since I last got on to this site as I was away overseas for military service. anyhow I am back in Perth again ... hooray! ... got some toyota pics from Thailand too ... will sort it out and post up soon.

Anyhow here is my problems. I have a Toyota Estima 1993 4WD turbo diesel (imported). Its a 8 seaters and I use them to go traveling around with family and friends. The problem I have is that the aircond stop working about 3-4 months ago. At first I suspected that it would just need to be re-gas so I took the car to auto electrician shop that does re-gas. When I came to pick up the car he told me that I will need a new compressor and would cost me $1100 all up. So I asked him what was wrong with the compressor and he said that the clutch is slipping on the compressor, meaning only one side spins and the other side doesn't so that is why it is not working.

Anyhow, at that time I didn't have the $$$ to do it so I took the car home. Today I drove the car to Hardware store to pick up some stuffs for my garden and when I got home I saw a black belt hanging undet the car. I got under neat and softly pull that belt down and it appears to be broken. I looked around and notice that the belt came off the airconditioning unit. During the drive I did not turn on aircond or heater at all and the belt wasn't hanging off before. (by the way the heater is working fine its just the aircond that is not cold, it still have full gas)

So I here are the questions:
    1. In above situation, what would be the cause for the aircond to stop working. Is it true what the guy at auto shop said? Or could it be somethingelse?
    2. Could it be possible that the damage/broken belt is the cause for the aircond to stop working? If yes, would it be easy to fix?
    3. What would be the best/cheapest and easy way to get it fix. What would you guys suggest?

Thank you in advance
    Signed
    M4C

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

Default Re: Hi all, i need help on aircond for my estima

looks like a belt wasn't put back in properly..

me thinks your mechanic is dodgy too.. or the belt was slipping and not the compressor?

my suggestion is... to replace the belt, try the aircon again.. if the compressor is really shot, then i can point you to the right direction to get a new or reconditioned compressor.. and it won't be 1100 bucks... and yea don't go back to the same mechanic.. always get a second opinion... i'm very pissed that the mechanic i've been going to for the past year is dodgy and hasn't been completely honest with me...
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Thanks for that ... i'll look for another belt today ...

how u been anyway? look at you over 1000 rep point already wow. r u still going to shout me a coffee
    Signed
    M4C

erm actually i posted some shit and lost rep.. theres a lot more i don't know about toyotas

anyway yea coffee whenever you want.. PM me when ready

these import estimas are a big hassle... my old (dodgy) mechanic has been looking for a waterpump for one for 3 weeks now.. it's turbo diesel, and there is no listing or part number anywhere for it..

anyhoo get the belt .. bring the old one in to match up because u'd be hard pressed to find repco or super crap have a listing on that car to get parts for...
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

The belt probably broke from the compressor locking up

Sounds like the clutch has failed on the compressor and that's what needs replacing, but it could also be that the compressor itself locked up

How do you know the system still has gas?

$1100 for a new compressor fitted and working is probably about right, A/C is costly
    I am the sun

My Missus is a Domestic Engineer BradW's Avatar

While the belt is off, try turning the pulley on the A/C compressor by hand and also try turning the plate on the front of the compressor. If you can't turn them the compressor has siezed and needs to be replaced. As said above $1100 fitted and gassed is about right.
    Is the belt broken or still in one piece?
    Brad

Old Corollas never die...

My KE30
    Updated 15/7/2007............ yes, I need to pull my finger out.

Thanks guys, just got a new belt today. I rang Coventry and gave them part number and got it delivered same day for $14.98 (under the panel beater shop that I work in account). I'll try fitting the belt on Monday and see how it goes.

Anyhow. Coventry parts has a new compressor and it cost around $600. So adding re-gas and labour should be around $1100. But If compressor really need to be change (hopefully not) I'll try doing it myself.

BradW: The belt is broken. I tried spinning the compressor wheel by hand with a/c off and it spins ok.
    Signed
    M4C

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Quote Originally Posted by progkamol
    I tried spinning the compressor wheel by hand with a/c off and it spins ok.
    I think you've only found out that the clutch bearing is OK, now turn the compressor itself.
    'I've scrapped better.' John stated when asked about the car by the guy with the silver tipped cowboy boots!

My Missus is a Domestic Engineer BradW's Avatar

Thanks guys, just got a new belt today. I rang Coventry and gave them part number and got it delivered same day for $14.98 (under the panel beater shop that I work in account). I'll try fitting the belt on Monday and see how it goes.

Anyhow. Coventry parts has a new compressor and it cost around $600. So adding re-gas and labour should be around $1100. But If compressor really need to be change (hopefully not) I'll try doing it myself.

BradW: The belt is broken. I tried spinning the compressor wheel by hand with a/c off and it spins ok.
    Try turning the plate on the front of the A/C compressor pulley. This should turn independently from the compressor pulley with the A/C turned off. If this doesn't turn then the compressor is probably siezed. Also check any idler pulleys that the A/C belt runs on.
    Brad

Old Corollas never die...

My KE30
    Updated 15/7/2007............ yes, I need to pull my finger out.

hm.. i still think i can get the compressor cheaper.. i know a few people at ashdown ingram (sp?) that always want to get their sales quota up

good luck with the estima dude.. it's a bitch to take apart... check the pulleys before you put the belt in !!!

Ok guys, the plate on the front of compressor turns fine but the compressor wheel itself doesn't turn at all. So I assumed that the compressor is seized and need a new one.

Now the problem is that my Estima is running a 3C-TE engine and from past experience it is damn hard to get spare parts even oil filter.

Some one suggested me that a Australian 94 Tarago compressor will fit but I can't really count on this guy. So, what would be the best solution to get the compressor/where to get them. I tried wreckers but no luck so far.

Also does anyone know where can I get spare parts for the 3C-TE engine? Fremantle Toyota in WA doesn't even have this engine listed on thier system. I was lucky enough to find an oil filter by matching parts number.
    Signed
    M4C

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Potentially look towards NZ, there are shit loads of them belching smoke out over here.

Callum

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

Ok guys, the plate on the front of compressor turns fine but the compressor wheel itself doesn't turn at all. So I assumed that the compressor is seized and need a new one.

Now the problem is that my Estima is running a 3C-TE engine and from past experience it is damn hard to get spare parts even oil filter.

Some one suggested me that a Australian 94 Tarago compressor will fit but I can't really count on this guy. So, what would be the best solution to get the compressor/where to get them. I tried wreckers but no luck so far.

Also does anyone know where can I get spare parts for the 3C-TE engine? Fremantle Toyota in WA doesn't even have this engine listed on thier system. I was lucky enough to find an oil filter by matching parts number.
    There are places that will rebuild your AC compressor, if you find a good shop (you may have to frieght the compressor to them) it should come back as good as a new unit and cost less than what a new one would too
    I am the sun

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

the plate on the front of compressor turns fine but the compressor wheel itself doesn't turn at all. So I assumed that the compressor is seized
    I'm not sure you're assuming correctly, can you get a second opinion?
    On mag. clutches I've seen, 'the plate' mounted directly, tapered & keyed, to the crankshaft, and wouldn't be described as 'turns fine' anyone familiar with compressors, pumps or engines.
    Doesn't it turn with some resistance, not steady but pulsing, and locks solid to the pully when the clutch has power/12V to it?
    'I've scrapped better.' John stated when asked about the car by the guy with the silver tipped cowboy boots!

Ok, the front wheel (that is the circular shape wheel in front of the compressor) spins ok with a/c off. Does feel stiff when turning it and only turn when you put the force on and does not free spins. At the back of that wheel (another circular shape wheel with grooves for the belt), that does not turn at all.

I took the compressor off the car now. Trying to find a matching one to replace. The other day I rang for some guy who does re-conditioning compressor and he said between 300-600 bucks for re-conditioning that compressor. So my best bet is to try to get one secondhand for cheap. But don't know where can I get them but ....
    Signed
    M4C